Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lycett in the second quarter: 0 kicks, 0 handballs, 5 CBA's & 13 Ruck Contests for 2 hit outs and 1 Free against
Briggs only had the 1 handball, 5 CBA's, 17 Ruck contests for 10 hit outs, 1 clearance , 1 tackle and 1 Free for

10 hit outs to 2 is pathetic and is why I feel the rot started from the ruck. Lycett was never a dominant ruck, but he had the ability to neutralise his opponent. He can't do that anymore, and it's only after he got subbed off that we started to get our hands on the ball a bit more. By then it was a bridge too far and our finishing was never going to allow us back in.
In the 2nd quarter, Dixon got into the ruck about 13 minutes on the clock.

I am going to say this. There were a lot of moving parts that were not great but Lycett was a big cog that was injured and rarely gave the midfield any service.

Hayes would have been better even if he only played three quarters of the game.

Basically what you've said.

I'll bite, as someone that's been accused of being a "happy clapper"

I'm certainly not a "keep Ken" person, i'd much rather have waited till end of season before re-signing him, and after the result, I would not have kept him on. But guess what, he's here now, and I don't think he's solely responsible for our failures - watching Matthew Lloyd on the Sunday Footy Show and he pointed out the blatantly obvious, our weakness last season was in ruck and key defence. That was exposed yet again in the two finals. We all know it. No coach is winning the flag with our current ruck and Key Defender situation.

So then the question becomes - is that on Ken Hinkley, or is that on Jason Cripps? We all love Cripps, and he's done a great job building our list, however he has a weak spot when it comes to Key position players and ruckman. I personally feel that this has had a bigger issue on our success over a long period of time than Ken.

Ken can only do with what tools he has. We have been forced to play injured players for the second half of the season due to a complete lack of depth. McKenzie ideally wouldn't have played due to his injury, but what was the next option? Lycett was horrible yet again, and then got injured. His alternative was Hayes with a bung shoulder. Everywhere you look, there was players carrying bad injuries. Our medical team has not had a great season, and I'd say a review needs to be done, particularly considering the concussion saga earlier.

Let's look at the list.

Defence - We are really poor defensively, losing the most 1 on 1's in the competition. McKenzie, Aliir etc. lose nearly half their one on ones. The stats are clear on this. McKenzie is too undersized for many of the forwards he plays on, and he's lost a tonne of pace. He should be playing as a third tall. Aliir is great when allowed to play loose as an interceptor, but he loses as many one on ones as McKenzie.

Ruck - Lycett has been solid for us for a long time, but he's totally ineffective now apart from a patch of about 3 weeks. Hayes has his strengths and weaknesses, but realistically isn't the answer. Teakle simply not ready/may never be ready.

Forwards - Great promise shown by Lord, Georgy was injured and forgot how to kick before that, Charlie has spent the whole season on one leg - but let's be honest, even at his best is far from a big goal kicker - which leaves Marshall, who's also playing injured and totally lost his form at the end of the season. Finlayson with all the off field stuff going on has suffered as well. Horrible set shot accuracy throughout.

Midfield is the one and only tick, but it gets nullified when we get smashed in the ruck.

How can we honestly expect to win the premiership with this list in it's current form?

So in summary, I don't think any coach would have won us the premiership this season with the squad we have and the current condition of the players.

Would I have re-signed Ken? No.
Do I think he's the reason we haven't succeeded? No I don't think so. I don't think our list has ever been strong enough holistically. We've had great players throughout, but so does every other team. As an entire unit - the answer is no.
And most importantly, Do I think we can win a flag under Hinkley? Yes, if we can fix the obvious deficiencies in our list.

People want to blame someone, and Ken will cop it, and that's fine. But it's important to look a bit deeper beneath the surface rather than the very simplistic argument that "he's been here X years and we won 0,sack Ken"
What are you trying to do? Honestly?

Ryan Burton on SEN.
There is some next level clueless in this interview.

2020 was 3 seasons ago - Jonas and McKenzie are not what they were back then and Clurey didn't play a game this season (and isn't who he was either)

If you can't see the glaring issue in our defence, then you need to take another look. The backups are Pasini coming off an ACL, who's been horrendous by all accounts, and two first year players that are nowhere near ready. He had to play McKenzie injured on numerous occasions.

He played Visentini who was starting to look half decent before he then got injured. Hayes has looked ok as well, but I don't think he's the saviour that you're making him out to be. Teakle is a long term project at best and he's been given opportunities as well. Reality is that none of them (bar Visentini) are good enough.

We're not winning a flag with an undersized key back on one leg and an old workhorse ruckman who's 2 years overdue for retirement. The backups are not any better.

We flogged GWS a few short weeks ago with a "backup" ruckman and the same defensive issues. We didn't play one of our best performing backs in Williams. If your list can win 16 games it can win the flag. It's a pathetic cop-out to claim otherwise.

Backs and rucks are an issue but the issue isn't the list. Every team has list issues. Go and look at Collingwood's key forwards and tell me they're premiership quality.

Lycett in the second quarter: 0 kicks, 0 handballs, 5 CBA's & 13 Ruck Contests for 2 hit outs and 1 Free against
Briggs only had the 1 handball, 5 CBA's, 17 Ruck contests for 10 hit outs, 1 clearance , 1 tackle and 1 Free for

10 hit outs to 2 is pathetic and is why I feel the rot started from the ruck. Lycett was never a dominant ruck, but he had the ability to neutralise his opponent. He can't do that anymore, and it's only after he got subbed off that we started to get our hands on the ball a bit more. By then it was a bridge too far and our finishing was never going to allow us back in.

If only we had a ruck in the reserves who had played a perfectly good game against GWS allowing our mids to dominate a month earlier.

Hats off to the coaches for selecting the medium ceiling, cooked ruckman who should have already retired instead hey.

No, I credit the players when they win and pot them when they lose.

The coach provides a gameplan and tools on how to win - the rest of up to the players. We had opportunities to win, but didn't take them. For me, that's on the players.
This is like blaming infantry soldiers for losing every major battle for a decade, while the General who is churning out the battleplans and tactics cannot be blamed because he's provided them with a plan. That the plan hasn't worked in a decade is irrelevant, just change the soldiers.

How many major battles need to be lost before the General gets the blame?

On the Champion Player Data Rating, Sam Powell-Pepper got a rating of -5.6 for the game against the Giants.

On the Champion Player Data Rating, Sam Powell-Pepper got a rating of -5.6 for the game against the Giants.

It's basically impossible to be a small forward when your midfield is getting a hiding and your KPFs are invisible.

That said, SPP is the perfect sort of player to throw in the guts when we need a lift and we need the opponents look over their shoulders a bit. Bash and crash style with very clean hands

It's basically impossible to be a small forward when your midfield is getting a hiding and your KPFs are invisible.

That said, SPP is the perfect sort of player to throw in the guts when we need a lift and we need the opponents look over their shoulders a bit. Bash and crash style with very clean hands
Agree he should have been tried in the middle but his ball handling wasn’t good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, if Rozee and Butters are getting kaned in the midfield, put in a few tough nuts like Powell-Pepper, Wines, even Bergman and rest both Rozee and Butters in the forward line as they have plenty of goals when they were younger.

Frauds from top to bottom.

Dining out on the past work of players and administrators. More interested in story telling and the 90sec clip on the webpage of what an honour it is to play for this club.

Add another couple of names to the must go list and that's Cripps and Parker. Our list is ******* horrid!

It's full of C graders and guys with massive holes in their games, not to mention a complete lack of desire and killer attitude needed to win when it counts. This is not only eveident in the AFL team but it's even more obvious in the SANFL team.

There isn't a single guy in the SANFL side I think would be anything more than a bottom 5 or so player even if they make it at AFL level.

And once again tonight we got to see Hinkley under pressure and it wasn't a pretty sight. No moves, no motivation, barely an adjustment, just the old "I'll have faith" with is code for I haven't got a clue and I'm too scare to try anything.

Just like Koch they hide behind doing nothing as being wise and measured but it's just two old guys who don't know but like playing the pretend game as it's good for the egos.

A putrid club that was no right whatsoever to call itself the PAFC.

We're dead.
That's what depressed me most about watching us play Centrals twice in a row. The players just weren't interested in fighting for long enough & it didn't look like anyone was capable of playing Afl level in the near future. Most would never be capable as they didn't have the skill set. Players on the Afl list that should have been dominating were shown up.

That's what depressed me most about watching us play Centrals twice in a row. The players just weren't interested in fighting for long enough & it didn't look like anyone was capable of playing Afl level in the near future. Most would never be capable as they didn't have the skill set. Players on the Afl list that should have been dominating were shown up.
Even senior AFL players have looked very ordinary when the have played for the Maggies, Jonas and Lycett are two from this season, and 3 or 4 seasons back Rockliff often looked like someone they had pulled from the crowd to make up the numbers.

Burton had a stinker of a year. I'd trade him back for Chad Wingard's corpse.

Lol, imagine Wingard with his Achilles during finals. Would've been listed as a test on the injury list and Daddy would've given him a jab and sent him out to play.

I'm still trying to figure out how you sit down as a coaching group before finals & decide three quarters of Lycett is better than three quarters of Hayes, particularly for the GWS game considering Sam's performance in the previous matchup.

I just think the damage GWS caused in the second term is at least blunted to a degree if our mids had the better/smarter tap ruck.

It's always back to the same old failed well until it's cooked beyond belief with this mob.

I dont thinks it to do with the ruck. We played Teakle, who couldnt get near the ball in the ruck and we essentially broke even in clearances in each game.

Our mids were flat footed and unprepared for the challenge. Then like against the Dogs two years ago, panic set in and made it worse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back