Review Round 22, 2023 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

The two main positives I took from today's game were the inside 50 entries being far more methodical in the approach - players consistently lowering their eyes and opening small gaps to get easy marks in that 40 metres out range that defenses seem to let slide when the attacking team is 70ish metres from goal. The other was the play of the midfield as a whole. Clicking on all cylinders. The balance just seemed spot on - which imo means Boak should be kept out the starting 22 and should return as the sub.

The entire team made a concerted effort today to get the ball moving through the corridor. It has been sorely missing these last few weeks. When they play in this manner and with this intensity, they are incredibly tough to beat no matter the opposition.

Whilst top 2 isn't completely in their hands only, given Brisbane play Collingwood at Marvel on Friday night, a top 2 spot could indeed be completely up to Port in a little over 5 days time. Given how bad this past month has been results wise, the team still has a chance to rebound heading into the finals, and based on what I saw today, there's definitely hope to be had.

When McKenzie is back in, Jonas will go back out.

I'm not convinced about that. Jonas isn't playing terribly now and you'd think a captain would need to be playing terribly to be dropped for finals. I think they'll want to play McKenzie, especially if we play Brisbane with their talls. I can see Burton dropping out for McKenzie instead of Jonas.

I'm not convinced about that. Jonas isn't playing terribly now and you'd think a captain would need to be playing terribly to be dropped for finals. I think they'll want to play McKenzie, especially if we play Brisbane with their talls. I can see Burton dropping out for McKenzie instead of Jonas.
Burton isn't offering a lot at this point anyway

The past few weeks I've seen why West Coast fans were so rapt with Willie Rioli. Unique talent.

I think we have established that they recognise Jonas isn't best 22 and think they will continue on this basis. Earlier in the year they tried to keep him in but realised we are better off without him in the side.

Keep burton and Jonas in defence at thee expense of JonEs.
to me he purposefully over runs the ball and appears frightened to handle the ball.

I think we have established that they recognise Jonas isn't best 22 and think they will continue on this basis. Earlier in the year they tried to keep him in but realised we are better off without him in the side.

His last two weeks haven't been anywhere near as bad as his form earlier in the season. If he keeps it up for the remaining two home and away games he doesn't get dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a frustrating game. Even though we dominated field play in the last half we only managed 11.3 to 9.5. Leaking easy goals like we did will absolutely kill us in finals, and given our defence was only missing McKenzie there has to be structural issues at play.

Given we scored our second highest score of the year, it just feels a bit like 2017 when our press was too high: we generate a bunch of repeat i50s but just leak like a sieve defensively.

Still, top 4 basically locked, so have some time to make those fine tweaks for finals

Butters - said in the game day thread, basicallly a walking Konami code when he’s in that mood. Game breaker.

Rozee - consistently high level, and you just can’t tackle him. Never seen a player more busy on their feet

Wines - starting to build, and at the right time of year

Drew - burnt a bit on the outside, but his work inside in brilliant. Few nice moments in defence too.

Aliir - not looking quite as confident with his marking as he used to but still solid as a rock in defence

Bergman - started on fire and then faded. Not a lot of impact after QT

JHF - got caught out a few times where he chose to run forward too early but just a star with ball in hand. Super effort to get 3 goals. The third goal was chef finger kiss

Rioli - lively up forward, felt like he should have kicked a few more. Really like that he gets involved up the ground too

Houston - not a starring effort but did nothing wrong and a nice goal in the last

Finlayson - got into some nice positions but still too weak in the contest and had some shocking attempts at goal

Hayes - the best tap ruck we’ve had since Ryder’s prime and had a few good moments floating in defence too. Absolutely do not get why he’s not our first choice ruck

Marshall - snuck in behind their defence really well for a few nice marks and goals

Williams - so calm and composed. Could be a real player. Would love to see him him roll up the ground a little more though

Jones - could have been tidier offensively, as always, but some real nice moments in defence. Love that he back himself for a mark instead of auto-spoil

Jonas - was ok, Hogan’s only goal came from a mark that Jonas had clearly spoiled. Still offers nothing but defensive coverage

DBJ - absolutely horrendous first quarter but was busy enough to cause their defence headaches and capitalised on team work for some nice goals

Burton - not a starting effort but didn’t really do anything wrong defensively which is all you can ask for

Duursma - no impact offensively or defensively. Just not providing a good option when we have the ball. Loved his first two years but he’s borderline delisting material these days

Farrell - just broke even. Played a bit too lose and burnt us but was ok a few times with forward entries

Lord - invisible, even for a young KPF, needs to get involved more

McEntee - just sucks. Absolutely no impact at all. Guess he at least kicked a goal

Evans - not much TOG but felt he had more forward impact than McEntee

Always like to see someone brave enough to review all players.

Generally agree with most but Houston 30 disposals, a goal, 10 marks and 698m gained is not a starring effort, what is your benchmark?

JHF is the Ferrari, Connor the Rolls Royce.

Watching Rose play footy really does make me wonder where it went so wrong for me. The answer is everything.
Connor is the Lambo

Butters is the... I dunno. What's like them but a lot more rough and tumble?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Burton would be on Charlie Cameron, Jonas won't play when McKensie comes back.

Burton is no doubt struggling this year, but I think it’s because he is being asked to play on talls more often than not. I think I heard him say on the radio that he was dropped because of his aerial contests. This is obviously tougher against key forwards

Connor is the Lambo

Butters is the... I dunno. What's like them but a lot more rough and tumble?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Lamborghini LM02

lamborghini-lm002-rear-view.jpg

Wines really impressed me, and I've been a harsh critic of him this season.

If he can get back to somewhere near his best, we're gonna be hard to beat even with deficiencies up forward and down back.
Wines, rozee, butters, jhf and drew all performing well means you can send JHF and rozee forward to get dangerous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back