Review Round 24, 2023 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

What did people think of Lord's game? I admit I was disappointed after quarter time, didn't seem to have any impact and was held out of marking contests too easily. Richmond took way too many marks in our F50 (not all Lord's fault though).

But Hinkley talked him up in the press conference and even suggested he could hold his spot when Dixon comes back.
Agree entirely Ford. I was most concerned because he didn’t seem to be playing on anyone proven or experienced, yet couldn’t impose himself after QT and occasionally got outmarked which hadn’t been the case earlier in the year. His form has tailed off since the Carlton game where he got a lot of the ball but couldn’t convert. He’s yet to really produce a consistent four quarter game at either level that reassures me that he can ever be a regular 3-4 goal threat.

Most of all, I think he’s run out of steam. Unlike others on our list, Lord has had a good run at selection and hopefully the investment this year will pay off in the years to come. I don’t expect we’d suddenly get more than what he’s produced in the last two weeks in September, so we’ll be better off if Dixon is fit enough to play.

In the longterm, there’s something there, but he’d want to start producing more prolific games at either level fairly soon.

He struggled to make an impact but it's very difficult as a sub 20 game key forward to play well as a 2nd KPF when the opponent is basically flooding and the senior KPF in the team is woefully out of touch and offering very little.

I think he'd be better with either of Marshall or Dixon back to create some space for him.

Edit: On a positive note, both his set shots were gun barrel straight, even if one was from the goalsquare.
The second one started to the left but swerved back perfectly. Not sure if intentional or not, but a great result.

FWIW, Drew and Wines played solid, reliable games. Pretty important to be able to bank on those two guys getting it done on the inside.
That's assuming Ken has learnt his lesson from our last final against the Dogs, and doesn't start Drew on the beach (still shaking my head over that one!!!).

What did people think of Lord's game? I admit I was disappointed after quarter time, didn't seem to have any impact and was held out of marking contests too easily. Richmond took way too many marks in our F50 (not all Lord's fault though).

But Hinkley talked him up in the press conference and even suggested he could hold his spot when Dixon comes back.
Struggled after qtr time, but kept competing at least. I don't expect any one would have thought that he would be our key forward this season in any game.
Not sure if he can hold a spot with the return of Marshall and Dixon, but at least he's been given a great development year.

His kicking was poor but he also had 22 possessions, 7 marks, 4 tackles and a goal. He contributes so much with his end to end running, popping up to help the defence and then at the other end for shots at goal. His marking is excellent and his tackling is good. Yes his kicking can let him down at times, but in reality what he provides as an overall package in that position is not being bettered by anyone else on our list.

His end to end work is phenomenal. He kicked a goal in the last quarter, then the next passage of play was helping clear the ball off the last line of defence.

I didn’t notice butters at all in the first half, but he seemed to get a lot of it 2nd half.
Any votes? When is coaches award announced?

I barely noticed him in the first half too but he finished with a mighty impressive statline. I thought maybe it was just me taking him for granted.

29 disposals, 9 clearances, 7 marks, 86% disposal efficiency and the #1 ranked player on the ground according to Champion Data

Ridiculous call.
Agreed. Pittard nearly made the AA team once, Duursma has never played football remotely approaching that level.

Curious as to whether you'd still rather have Duursma on our list than JHF like you said last year?

I barely noticed him in the first half too but he finished with a mighty impressive statline. I thought maybe it was just me taking him for granted.

29 disposals, 9 clearances, 7 marks, 86% disposal efficiency and the #1 ranked player on the ground according to Champion Data
Amazing, I really hope he wins the coaches award so fingers crossed for more votes this week.
He seems to be more of an inside player since injury.

Probably says more about Finlayson than Lord.

Finny needs a firecracker.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Currently prepared to cut the guy some slack due to his personal situation.
However, there was a 5 minute period late in the second quarter when Finny‘s effort on at least 3 occasions was sub-standard for an AFL player. He was out muscled by his Richmond opponent and he looked completely disinterested- he was having a real attitude hissy fit and it did not look good.
Eventually he took a good contested mark 30 out and of course failed to convert.
Luckily it was pretty close to siren time and I’m sure his ears would have been blistering from the spray that he would have received from the coaches.
His 2nd half was acceptable.
Skating on thin ice!!

Currently prepared to cut the guy some slack due to his personal situation.
However, there was a 5 minute period late in the second quarter when Finny‘s effort on at least 3 occasions was sub-standard for an AFL player. He was out muscled by his Richmond opponent and he looked completely disinterested- he was having a real attitude hissy fit and it did not look good.
Eventually he took a good contested mark 30 out and of course failed to convert.
Luckily it was pretty close to siren time and I’m sure his ears would have been blistering from the spray that he would have received from the coaches.
His 2nd half was acceptable.
Skating on thin ice!!
Playing from behind and sooking at team mates & umps too much. Hard to be too harsh on him but need more from him come finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back