Review Round 11, 2023 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

A reminder that it is very rarely in the modern AFL that a team is on its game all year.

It seems to be a common wisdom that a mid season slump in form, with the resting of key players is they key to peaking at the business end of the season.

If a team can bank wins while being way off the boil and enter the bye round close to the top of the ladder and come back to the second half of the season with key players freshened up and ready to make an assault on the finals - that's where you'd want to be.

That's the theory anyway.

All I know is that we are well placed to make it happen.

Just noticed that we had only 39 tackles today - just like we did on the MCG in round 2 against the Pies. Maybe it's an indication of how far ahead of Richmond Collingwood is, that the Tigers couldn't hurt us as much as the Pies did.

On Mead, you can see him freeze mentally when he gets the ball. He's only young and has been given opportunities for a reason but he really needs to react instinctively when he gets the ball. He is not gifted with speed so hesitation is not his friend if he wants to stay on our list.

Last edited:
Just noticed that we had only 39 tackles today - just like we did on the MCG in round 2 against the Pies. Maybe it's an indication of how far ahead of Richmond Collingwood is, that the Tigers couldn't hurt us as much as the Pies did.
This is true.
I’m not sure what the uncontested possession system was but I wouldn’t be surprised if we got beaten in that area too

On Mead, you can see him freeze mentally when he gets the ball. He's only young and has been given opportunities for a reason but he really needs to react instinctively when he gets the ball. He is not gifted with speed so hesitation is not his friend if he want's to stay on our list.
There’s a bit of Dylan williams about him.
He’s not too bad when he had the ball but he’s a bit slow.

We did put the ball into spaces in the forward line a few times for a leading player and had it cut off because tunnel vision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 individual goal kickers was odd
Lord needs to convert more
Rioli rusty after a week off
Wines improving again
Houston keeps pressing the AA squad

Well that was an ugly win, a wins a win I guess and at the G is important.
We don’t look like a top 4 team on that performance though.

Sad news out of Melbourne with beloved footy commentator Anthony Hudson launching civil action against the AFL Umpire Association for emotional damage. Sources say Garry Lyon and Nafe Buckley will also file similar suits.

Genuinely as biased a call from Hudson that I can remember.

Was getting embarrassing

Nobody talking about that guy down back that spent the day spoiling, taking contested marks and also put in a desperate lunge to deny Richmond a goal that would've kept them in the game late.

And apparently Port are now 9-0 with him in the team and 0-2 without him in the team.

Nobody talking about that guy down back that spent the day spoiling, taking contested marks and also put in a desperate lunge to deny Richmond a goal that would've kept them in the game late.

And apparently Port are now 9-0 with him in the team and 0-2 without him in the team.

A few people mentioned McKenzie mate!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back