B: Jonas Aliir Burton
HB: Houston DBJ Williams
C: Farrell Wines Bergman
R: Lycett JHF Rozee
HF: Butters SPP Rioli
F: Finlayson Dixon Marshall
INT: McEntee Lord Bonner Drew
SUB: Mead or Evans

Evans for Rioli - I think our small options are a little unbalanced with both Tank and Cheese in the side together, I'd say the two of them are competing for one role, just like Junior and Fantasia are competing for one role.

Jackson for Boak?

Would love to see Lord stay in if possible but not 100% sure how we achieve that if Dixon is ready. We may have to go NOT like for like here but not sure how it works against the Tiges.

How good is it to get a game at the MCG when in this kind of form. We need to get as much time on that ground as possible in the next 16 months.

Tough selection week given there is no SANFL this week.

Mackenzie will be a huge out against a team with Lynch and Riewoldt. If Dixon and/or Marshall are fit, Burton will go down back, but that’s still a huge out.

Rioli for Evans makes sense. And I hope Boak comes up, his toughness will be missed.

I suspect there will be some sore bodies today. The extra day between games would be welcomed.

And Jonas needs to be a body guard for Butters.

Mackenzie will be a huge out against a team with Lynch and Riewoldt. If Dixon and/or Marshall are fit, Burton will go down back, but that’s still a huge out.

Rioli for Evans makes sense. And I hope Boak comes up, his toughness will be missed.

I suspect there will be some sore bodies today. The extra day between games would be welcomed.

Lynch is listed as out for another couple of months.

Lynch isn’t playing. On last nights form we will not miss McKenzie he was terrible

IN: Dixon, Marshall, Rioli
OUT: Lord, Jonas, Evans

Burton goes down back again.

Wait and see on Boak and McKenzie
Too early to know who is in/out with injuries.

I prefer Evans to Cheese in the small forward role. He just has that "something" ability to score a freak goal of calmly dish out a goal assist. Junior in for Cheese.

Mead has done nothing wrong the past 2 weeks as sub - deserves a full game, or three. His bring down tackle on a rampaging Petracca in the last was a thing of beauty and magnificence! DBJ down a little last night, so he can be super sub.

If Cannon and Boak don't come up, then Marshall and/or Dixon come in for the former, and we shuffle Burton back to defence again. Not sure who we replace Trav with though? Our young kids are absolute drop forged steel and calm in our close matches. Lord, JHF, Bergman, Williams - all brilliant and tough and helping us across the line in the final quarters. But Jackson may be just one young kid too many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Kenny is dinkum about winning the flag he needs bring Pasini and Hayes in for Jonas and Lycett. But that won't happen.

In Marshall, Rioli, Action Jackson, Mead

Out Lord (☹️), Evans, Wines (needs a rest), Boak(if injured)

After last’s night performance Lord needs to hold his spot even if Charlie is fit. He finished with 2 goals up against two of the better key defenders going around and in conditions that were tough for tall forwards. He’s showing a lot of promise.

What did Caro say, Charlie to miss 2 more? Her intel seems to be pretty accurate, so Lord gets at least 1 more week.

If he's still not near 100% for the Hawks, I'd give Charlie that off too. Then there's a opportunity to play 2 rounds, then have the bye off. We need him fit and firing in the back half of the season, not rushed back now.

There is no way anyone can call for Marshall's replacement of Lord...............

Lord is less skilful than Marshall but Lord knows how to play footy, has aggression and knows how to use his body. These are attributes that Marshall lacks and explains why he hasn't developed further and worse explains his concussions.

Both of Marshall's concussions were due to a lack of footy nous and hope to avoid contact. Instead of placing his body in a position for contact he simply walked head first into two concussions, where a normal person would expect contact and protect themselves. This mentality of not wanting contact explains his inability or lack of desire to hit packs hard.

Marshall is a better player than Lord but I would keep him in the two's until he is no longer a danger to himself.

Last edited:
Strange time to call for these changes. Lycett was solid against the best ruck combo going around. What’s Pas done to warrant selection?
Lycett battled hard I'll give him that but if we want to capitalise on our midfield talent we need to get them first use. Hayes does that better than Lycett.

As for Pasini, he has a future while Jonas doesn't.

Marshall for Lord.
Love Lord but this season it's a no brainer. Lord getting the odd game and another pre-season is a pretty good plan long term.

Rioli for Evans.

Boak will get up but if he doesn't Richmond are going to be all over Butters someone like Jackson could be useful.

What did Caro say, Charlie to miss 2 more? ....
In the post-match Hinkley said he was surprised Dixon wasn't available last night so hard to reconcile that with him not being available for 2 more games.

I prefer Evans to Cheese in the small forward role. He just has that "something" ability to score a freak goal of calmly dish out a goal assist. Junior in for Cheese.

Mead has done nothing wrong the past 2 weeks as sub - deserves a full game, or three. His bring down tackle on a rampaging Petracca in the last was a thing of beauty and magnificence! DBJ down a little last night, so he can be super sub.
DBJ had 12 tackles.

Yes he didn't kick a goal but his defensive work was elite.

I do prefer Evans as well, but it's a flip of a coin. He did cost us a goal by getting his kick smothered off a mark, when he had Butters free in space, but chose to ignore him.

I haven't seen a Port Adelaide like last night for some time.

What stood out was the ability and desire of player to commit to the ball, commit to the contest and the backing up.

I love rioli's best but playing joe the goose, waiting for a defensive failure rather than creating pressure for that failure is an example of the alternative. I love Jones but his turn over kills belief in those around, creating uncertainty whether to charge forward and support or hold back. I love georgiades but he leaps for the mark but then fails to work hard on the ground and attack the ball.

I would chuck marshall, rioli, jones, fantasia, georgiades in this category. Compare those names to the work rate and commitment of butters, SPP and JHF. I loved SPP charge at the contest last night, with a dees player behind him and another coming straight at him, yet despite always being second to the ball one knew he was going to take the ball and dees player out. He puts his body on the line and delivers (he bleeds old school black and white).

Clever coaching can support the turn around those underperforming to their ability. I think DBJ highlights, "doing the same thing and expecting a different result is dumb coaching". He a good player but shifting ever more towards a Pittard type reliability down back but putting DBJ up forward has netted massive positive gains for the side and DBJ as an individual. Burton is a different situation as he performs where ever he plays, but throwing him forward is a weapon.....doing something different, exploring ideas and keeping things fresh is great for the spirit and enjoyment of players.

Williams is another example. Once an underperforming forward on the scrap heap, to one of our most important players. He's delivering down back and in doing so, released DBJ to a better suited position.

I sense the coaching staff need to explore ways of getting more out of all of our squad, as we see the rewards already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back