Preview Changes & Pre-Match Discussion for Round 11, 2023 vs Richmond @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, they need to stop trying to turn him into a midfielder or a forward. Why do the coaches persist in trying to turn players into something they’re not and play players out of position.
You mean like SPP and DBJ on a half forward flank and Dylan Williams off half back? I think the two best games he’s played have been as a pressure forward.

That's not right. His profile leading up to the draft was all about big bodied midfielder.
He has always been seen as mostly outside. half back, wing, half forward. Might have played more midfield in the WAFL.

If you look at his u18 games against Victoria, both games he plays half back

But I think it was his work at half forward, pressure and long goals that got him drafted

The home of football that has Cricket Ground in its name. Imagine it being called the MFG.
Aussie Rules was created to keep cricketers fit in the off-season so not surprising that the "home" of football is a cricket ground.

He has always been seen as mostly outside. half back, wing, half forward. Might have played more midfield in the WAFL.

If you look at his u18 games against Victoria, both games he plays half back

But I think it was his work at half forward, pressure and long goals that got him drafted

Mostly described in draft profiles as a big bodied mid

BIG-BODIED midfielders are often hard to come by in the draft, but West Australian Sam Powell-Pepper fits that description nicely.

Powell-Pepper has an aggressive mindset when attacking the footy in contested situations: he tackles the opposition fiercely and he flies for his marks with intent.

These descriptions litter his draft profiles.

Even in the recent article on him on the AFL site, it talks about how Port decided to convert him to a forward.

He was drafted as a mid not a HFF.

Ah ok, everything I read predraft on him was that he was a high half forward/mid, but obviously that must not have been all of it.

He was getting called the next Dusty/Dangerfield on the Port board when he was drafted. Because we are always modest in our ambitions 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back