Preview Changes & Pre-Match Discussion Yartapuulti vs Narrm: Round 10, 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it too late to turn Clurey into a forward? Joking, kind of. Pray for rain....
Wouldn't be surprised if Clurey or another defender ended up forward as a hard tag on Lever or May.

Can see Hinkley going in just hoping we can bring the ball to ground, try a win the clearances and set up behind the ball, repeat entries etc etc.

Wines up front another option I thought he might try. Leaves the mid to Boak, Drew and the youngsters, rests Ollie up front with sole intent of halving contests.

Melbourne have had our measure last few years, going in favourite too so no expectations on our lads which usually helps bring their best.

Suspect some of the selections and focus will be on how best to ensure we only dropped 1 game going into the Bulldogs match.

Defensively does Williams get the nod on Pickett who ripped us apart last year Traeger Park?

It's weird isn't it, something about this game feels like it's winnable. No idea why I feel like that, perhaps it's a bit of over-confidence from the previous six weeks.
I hate to say it but it kind of feels like a bit of a mulligan. Good opponent and very makeshift forward line. If we win it’s against expectations, so weirdly it makes it more likely?

It's weird isn't it, something about this game feels like it's winnable. No idea why I feel like that, perhaps it's a bit of over-confidence from the previous six weeks.
My brain sees Port vs Melbourne and goes back to a few different matches. Thumping them at the Gabba in 2020 so only 1 year before their flag, 2019 at the G when Butters, Rozee, Duursma and Drew debuted, and that win at home in 2018 right before the wheels started to fall off, seemed like we were going to contend and Melbourne ended up having a decent season too.

Then I remember that after those 3 consecutive wins vs them, we’ve lost 3 on the trot. One of which nearly saw a goalless half. But even still I don’t know, I rate Melbourne but my brain can’t seem to put them fully out of our reach. I expect to get demolished but something about them just prevents me from ruling us out.

Prediction: Dees by 26 after we claw back what was at one point a 50 point deficit, goes down as an honourable almost comeback and Ken gets the 3 year extension the media has been calling out for.

My initial thought was Melbourne is a better team and that we'll get thumped, two main concerns, the ruck and being without both Marshall and Dixon. But if you look at the form of both teams, we're very similar in the quality of the teams we’ve beaten in the last few rounds. I still expect Melbourne to win because we are undermanned, but maybe we’re a chance.

unfortunately we lost out a first round draft pick we really needed to go after a decent ruck this year. one thing that’s seriously lacking.

gawn and Grundy are gonna have a field day in the middle.
So.your saying we should not have traded for Horne Francis?

There's nothing unfortunate about our trading last year.

After a decade we still don't have a player to cover speedy small forwards like Pickett. The coaches reuse Jonas and Burton, and they're not up to it. Farrell is a question mark. Williams is speedless. Burgoyne and L Jones are trying to find form in our ... well, development program.

Lycett is over the hill, he's declining, but he's still a solid player. He just can't match it against the best.

Teakle is a total spud, and offers nothing other than someone who'll run around and jump and try and catch.

There's a fair difference there.

We should've invested the last few games into Dante, despite his lack of readiness, we'd be sitting here in a far better long term position had he been given that taste, and given Teakle contributed zero, it would've had no impact on the results we've had.

Dante from whenever Lycett gives up his spot from here on.

Lycett literally playing for his career everytime he goes out. Would expect him to play as such tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back