Review Round 10, 2023 vs Narrm

Remove this Banner Ad

You are not going to achieve perfection against most AFL teams, let alone a top 4 team like Melbourne. Expecting to win every contest against Melbourne is unrealistic, they have too many good players to do that.

Noone said anything about perfection, or winning every contest. I was happy to win, euphoric in fact.

But watching the replay a few times, every time I see the Melbourne high curling shot on goal in the last, I think "damn, we were close to losing this". And I think that bears some reflection upon.

It was great to get the win last night, but ....

Naarm kicked six (?) unanswered goals in a row.

Butters had an amazing, best-ever game, and we still only won by 4 points.

Are we papering over the cracks a bit?

It is the old story we did not make the most of our opportunities. Half way through the second quarter we had 95% of the ball in our half for the quarter yet only lead by a couple of goals. The really frustrating thing is that this is nothing new. Only three times this year have we kicked more goals than behinds in a game.

The most obvious crack that I saw last night was our god awful kicking at goal. Other than that we were more than competitive over most of the ground and our midfield probably had it's best game for the year. I am left feeling that we played well enough and should have won by more and had we lost that game we would have had only ourselves to blame.

Sometimes when you see a player you think, geez this guy has something. I reckon Lord falls into that category. I reckon he is going to be a very good player for us going forward. Seems that a number of commentators have the same view.
And to think we have some Numbskull on this forum who believe’s he will be delisted.

Funny the talk around us roughing up Gawn. We did the exact thing in Round 1 2019, where Butters, Rozee and Duurs debuted. Love to see it.

Exactly how do you rough up a 209cm by 111kg unit? I had to smile when that SPP free was awarded, Sam bumped Gawn and the second time Gawn said enough and almost ragdolled Sam aside. SPP is no slouch but Gawn is a *ing monster. I would hate to have the job of physically intimidating him. If Ken gave me the instruction to rough up Max Gawn I reckon I would tell him to go do it his *ing self.

On the subject of that relayed free it looks like Gawn gave SPP a mouthful prior to Sam running up and bumping him. I am left wondering what Gawn said.

Why the ironic tone? I think it's a very fair question to ask.

And I don't know about you, but I NEVER want to see a run of six unanswered goals. Most times you won't survive that.
Maybe if we were Man City - untold riches given to the best coach to build the perfect team over a decade, then we might hope for something close to perfection but we're nowhere near that. Melbourne are probably better than us man for man and they're going to have patches where they're on top.
I was probably being too bitchy. Just the big picture was any way you look at it, last night was an excellent win with some real things going against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Hinkley talk should really go to the Sack Hinkley thread, of which there are plenty.
It doesn’t belong on here either last night or today after that game. Just ENJOY THE WIN, and HOW we WON.
It was fast tough, often skilful Port Adelaide footy. We never gave up, they didn’t tear us apart and I will remember this performance fondly. Don’t contaminate the thread.
This.

It was great to get the win last night, but ....

Naarm kicked six (?) unanswered goals in a row.

Butters had an amazing, best-ever game, and we still only won by 4 points.

Are we papering over the cracks a bit?

Papering over the cracks is when you beat an ordinary team by a small margin because you play poorly and get over the line.

Not when you beat one of the premiership favourites with your forward line sitting in the stands on a run of 7 wins in a row.

I don't really care what the reason is for this turnaround, whether its because Carr is coaching and Ken is being a cheerleader, or whatever. Fact is we are playing good footy, we are coming from behind regularly and winning - something which has almost never happened in the last 8 years. I'm enjoying each win for what it is, in the moment and not really worrying about the bigger picture at this point. Just keep winning.

Pretty sure I never said it bothers me. If you can find a post with me saying as much, by all means put it up.

What's the problem then?

What problem? I was responding to another poster. Maybe read the whole thread and you might get the context of my comment. If you have a problem just use the ignore button.

So there's no problem, and you're just calling out other posters for the content of their posts, even though it doesn't bother you?

It must be hard for you being such a big-brain intellect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back