Autopsy Round 20, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. We get smashed by Geelong, even with their outs, and I'd feel like most on this board.
But not going to doom and gloom it having just come off a 13 in a row winning streak.
It’s the way we lost against Carlton and the cows that have people talking doom and gloom (the whole side goes missing in big games year after year)

The result is the same result that gets thrown up every year to a number of teams at this time of the season. One team is fighting to make finals, the other team has already booked their place and has just come off a close loss to a team that they feel they will probably meet deep in September. So the qualified team thinks that they don't have to bring the same level of intensity and pressure that they brought the week before and gets jumped by a hungrier and more desperate group of players.

Gold Coast did exactly the same thing to Brisbane and they were in exactly the same situation as Adelaide was against us. Is Brisbane suddenly a s**t team?

What you're going to find is that 5 weeks out from finals no-one wants to do what Izaak Rankine did or Mark Blicavs did and do a hamstring and then not be available. So everyone goes into preservation mode and starts dropping marks and not being proactive and cracking in with elite pressure.

These types of results are exactly what the AFL wants. To keep interest in each team until the very final round, and give fans hope that next year will be 'their year' if things just go their way. Even the Fremantle result over Geelong was a case of that.

As for the game itself:

Not having either Rioli or Fantasia on the field meant that Milera didn't have to worry about getting burned the other way and could run off and play his natural game.

Playing a second game ruck against O'Brien meant that we would never get anything close to the kind of output our midfield is used to and it would become a scrap, which is where Adelaide playing the likes of Crouch, Schoenberg, Laird etc came to the fore. And no, Hayes wouldn't have made a difference. They could push more players up to the contest because they knew that we needed to hold players back to help with defence. If you want to know why we're going after Ratugolea and possibly Grundy, this game will tell you.

We had 3 non-KPP players who managed to rack up double digit contested possession - Butters (15), Houston (11) and Duursma (10). Adelaide had 5 - Crouch (15), Dawson (15), Milera (13), Laird (11) and Hinge (10). They wanted the ball more than guys like Horne-Francis (8), Rozee (7), Drew (7) and Wines (5).

Adelaide is a good side and should feel like the season has been wasted if they don't make finals. Remember, they have been in the wilderness for exactly the same amount of time as we were between 2007 and 2013. We also have obvious deficiencies in our side that we need to address in the off-season that the Crows have the ability to exploit.

And yet we are 2nd and they are 12th. So at the end of the day, who gives a *? Get back on the wagon and go again against a Geelong minus Blicavs and Hawkins. It's not like we don't know what our best football looks like, FFS. If the side isn't hunting the football aggressively it will look second rate against any team.
Fantasia? Are you kidding he’s done.

What will it take? 15 years? 20 years?

When does it get to the point where change is needed in your opinion?
My opinion has been the same all season - it's a GF appearance as a min., or Hinkley goes.
Still the same. Re-signing him before the end of the season is ridiculous. And if he walks he walks.

Mind you, all these who say Carr has been doing the coaching (which he has) for much of the year, also have to point a finger his way with three losses in a row. Can't have it both ways.

I’m from NSW and this game was the first live game I’ve seen port play in years. honestly it was a hard watch they never looked this bad on TV. maybe I’m the bad luck 😂 sorry lads

My opinion has been the same all season - it's a GF appearance as a min., or Hinkley goes.
Still the same. Re-signing him before the end of the season is ridiculous. And if he walks he walks.

Mind you, all these who say Carr has been doing the coaching (which he has) for much of the year, also have to point a finger his way with three losses in a row. Can't have it both ways.

Based on observations of what we have seen, we would be embarrassed on the biggest possible stage in a GF

When have we in the last 5 years risen to any occasion?

Cannot trust this club to deliver anything but disappointment

I would have either left AO or turned the TV off by the time it got to that point.

Showed it on the news, I was onto the swimming as soon as the siren went.

The word humiliation comes to mind after last night.
Burton’s dropped mark leading to a goal to kick start it all. A 5 game Irishman made to look like Glen Jackovich by his crippled opponent. Walker waltzing past Allir and dobbing a left footer from 50. Sloane getting 2inches off the ground, treating Boak with contempt to take a ‘speccy’
The fact we were second and being talked about as a serious premiership threat succumbing easily to the bitter rival and 14th placed team for the second time this year.
Don’t know about the players but that felt ‘21 PF levels of humiliation.
It was really our time to humiliate them but we were nowhere near it and it seems like the bye has really changed things down at the club.

I am a tad worried that Hinkley has been given the contract at the bye and everyone is in chill mode.

The level of desperation and working hard for each other, especially in the middle is not there anymore. Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis and Drew are all working their butts off but the rest of the peripheral midfield, Houston aside, is doing stacking up at the moment in terms of work rate, contested ball and beating your opponent.

Now the ruck situation doesn't help.
A fair whack of guys being injured doesn't help.
Playing injured guys doesn't help.
Keeping and reaching back into the gold cards doesn't help.
Old blokes doing enough on the ground doesn't help.

We really have to work out the exact reasons why we have lost our mojo because if not, the season is done.

Reckon Ken has moved to selection panel
Watch Jonas and Lycett back next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was going to boil down the loss to its essential nature, I would say that coming into the game, the Cows were very confident that if they won contested possession and their forwards lead to the ball, they would win. I would say really, really confident they would win. They never looked like losing. They never strayed from their gameplan. They never looked flustered, ever. I mean, this is 2nd versus 14th, people!!!

They won contested possession by 20.

Rozee, Butters and Drew worked hard and the Hornet tried but the secondary midfield types who are around the stoppages were really below par. Boak, Wines, Burton, those types are down. Powell-Pepper for this game. Finlayson being passive.

We were just beaten by a team who refused to lose contested ball. That is it.

And when we don't work hard and lose the contested ball number, we revert back to Hinkleyball.

Now the big question is, has the gameplan changed back to Hinkleyball or are the players just not working hard enough for our gameplan that got us to 14 in a row.

I remember listening to Ollie Wines some time recently and he seemed to lament that the new gameplan was very tiring compared to the old gameplan. It just doesn't seem to be something that a captain should say.

Last edited:
The way we played Walker was really disappointing. Yes AA was probably shaken from the head knock, but where was Bergman/Burton dropping in front? That's something we did exceptionally well for the first 14-16 games of the season and its disappeared in recent weeks.

The criticism of Wines is over the top for me. 20 disposals in 88 minutes time on ground. He spent more than a quarter of the game on the bench, which doesn't even count the times he's floating around on a wing. He's simply not getting the minutes in the engine room that would allow him to be the influential player he used to be. This is the price of giving minutes to Rozee, Butters and in particular JHF instead.

It was really our time to humiliate them but we were nowhere near it and it seems like the bye has really changed things down at the club.

I am a tad worried that Hinkley has been given the contract at the bye and everyone is in chill mode.

The level of desperation and working hard for each other, especially in the middle is not there anymore. Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis and Drew are all working their butts off but the rest of the peripheral midfield, Houston aside, is doing stacking up at the moment in terms of work rate, contested ball and beating your opponent.

Now the ruck situation doesn't help.
A fair whack of guys being injured doesn't help.
Playing injured guys doesn't help.
Keeping and reaching back into the gold cards doesn't help.
Old blokes doing enough on the ground doesn't help.

We really have to work out the exact reasons why we have lost our mojo because if not, the season is done.
Or Ken has been extended and the players have realised they are going nowhere any time soon.

Or Ken has been told.his time is up and the players are sulking.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The criticism of Wines is over the top for me. 20 disposals in 88 minutes time on ground. He spent more than a quarter of the game on the bench, which doesn't even count the times he's floating around on a wing. He's simply not getting the minutes in the engine room that would allow him to be the influential player he used to be. This is the price of giving minutes to Rozee, Butters and in particular JHF instead.

Wines definitely has some runs on the board and people have talked about a degenerative knee injury and he is also a prisoner of really great form of the past.

But we need some hard work in the midfield from the midteir and with his form this year, I worry that even if he was in the engine room, I don't think he would be that influential.

20 disposals with 5 contested.

So he's basically putting up Riley Bonner numbers without any speed, ball use or workrate. So a wasted nothingsman.

Wines is getting the ball, but hes lost a lot of power and speed in those legs. Almost every disposal he gets these days is under pressure

If I was going to boil down the loss to its essential nature, I would say that coming into the game, the Cows were very confident that if they won contested possession and their forwards lead to the ball, they would win. I would say really, really confident they would win. They never looked like losing. They never strayed from their gameplan. They never looked flustered, ever. I mean, this is 2nd versus 14th, people!!!

They won contested possession by 20.

Rozee, Butters and Drew worked hard and the Hornet tried but the secondary midfield types who are around the stoppages were really below par. Boak, Wines, Burton, those types are down. Powell-Pepper for this game. Finlayson being passive.

We were just beaten by a team who refused to lose contested ball. That is it.

And when we don't work hard and lose the contested ball number, we revert back to Hinkleyball.

Now the big question is, has the gameplan changed back to Hinkleyball or are the players just not working hard enough for our gameplan that got us to 14 in a row.

I remember listening to Ollie Wines some time recently and he seemed to lament that the new gameplan was very tiring compared to the old gameplan. It just doesn't seem to be something that a captain should say.
Matt Crouch played a pearler.

Ffs
Matt Crouch !😏

Yep. He's not winning the Brownlow again any time soon but the idea that we're going to bring in Quinton Narkle, Trent Dumont or Hugh Jackson for him and have it improve the side is lunacy.

When good players hit bad patches of form they become victims of their own expectations. A 'bad' Ollie Wines game is still no less influential than a 'good' game from any of his potential replacements.

Wines is getting the ball, but hes lost a lot of power and speed in those legs. Almost every disposal he gets these days is under pressure
then the person receiving his disposal is even under more pressure.

if hes not playing the inside mud pig role then cant be played anywhere else cause he has no attributes to play on the outside.

The way we played Walker was really disappointing. Yes AA was probably shaken from the head knock, but where was Bergman/Burton dropping in front? That's something we did exceptionally well for the first 14-16 games of the season and its disappeared in recent weeks.
Burton dropping in front :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back