Review Round 23, 2023 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

That game was a snoozefest, it felt and looked like we were there to get the job done, get back on the plane and get out of dodge.

JHF - I can't wait for next year, his glimpses of elite have even Pavlich and Lyon licking their lips in anticipation
Butters - 3 votes
Rozee - did his job but not with the usual flare, same said for Houston and Aliir - they look like they need a week off
Jonas - solid. Thank god he didn't go for early retirement, when he goes and McKensie comes back I hope people can see why he's a good leader, team first.
Bergman obviously in pain with his hand, Burton some sort of knee issue, Marshall some say knee, others think groin I reckon it's his back - whatever it is he needs a rest. I wonder if when he got winded last week he's actually fractured a rib? Findlayson injured according to Pav who was down in the rooms and intimated something was going on.
SPP he's now Mr Reliable, beautiful straight kicking in front of goal, did he hurt his shoulder in the first half?
Boak- where did they have him playing? He looked like he was half back for awhile there.
Farrell and Williams victims of the post contract signing haze - seem to remember Bergman was the same in the week after his announcement.
Rioli - getting better every week but he needs to stop taking a swing at the oppo everytime there's a chance of some action
Lachie Jones - is there anyone more Port Adelaide than Lachie? Tough, fast, strong, no bullsh*t
Lord - disappeared, didn't really see much of him after the first quarter - reckon we're very lucky we've got these games into him, he'll be better for it next year
Hayes - deserves a go next week, great tap work but would love to see a few more solid marks and I know I'm dreaming but if he could get a goal, just one, that'd be great - but he's getting there.
We need Charlie and we need McKensie to beat Brisbane.
The last line was the most important.
Mackenzie and Dixon might not be the difference between a flag or not, but it’s a certain NOT without them.

I don't understand why the 2014 doesn't get counted as a win, yep not in the H&A but it's a win in Perth, same flight, same conditions.

You’re right, it’s just been a super long time since premiership points.

At least if we get a Gabba QF we won’t have to play there in the prelim if we get there
A Gabba QF isn't locked in just yet - Brisbane and Collingwood have exactly the same percentage of 123.2, and if the Pies lose to Essendon, Brisbane merely have to win to lock in top spot. A Bombers win is unlikely, but then again, so was an Eagles win over the Dogs.

Given Collingwood's frailties in recent weeks, playing them in a few weeks might not be such a bad thing.

The 2014 win was pretty special. Was at Alberton for that one with the big screen on the oval. How far engagement has fallen since...

Because he’s a competitive beast. Yes losing his s**t means he actually care. Farrell needed to be told. With father Ken soft as a marshmallow someone’ needs to be hard
Rubbish, the time he shouted at him Farrell had put in a perfectly good kick, Finlayson didn't compete for it as he wanted it over the top.

The 2014 win was pretty special. Was at Alberton for that one with the big screen on the oval. How far engagement has fallen since...

Was at a gathering with mates. Utter bedlam. Holy sh¡t.

As I’ve said previously — if you were tapped on the shoulder that night and informed that was the last final we’d win until 2020, you’d be forgiven for assuming the team plane went down over The Grampians and Trav had to eat Robbie and Chad to survive.

Rubbish game

So many guys pick and choose, so I'm hoping that will change come finals time but who knows.

All up a decent win considering 4 of their goals came from frees that were not there, were never there, and wouldn't be awared in any other game of the year.

We need Dixon back and we need to have a good look at the forward 6, especially DBJ and McEntee. Both played better in the second half, DBJ was actually good but their first half efforts were abysmal.

Defense always looks suss and I think good sides on a good deck will really trouble us. Too many of them are good defenders when we have the ball but shocking in actually defending. They give far too much room.

Butters just keeps performing to an absolute class level. Amazing footballer and becoming a damn good leader too. Sets a very high bar which is completely welcome.

JHF had dominant periods and then others where he almost vanishes but it also doesn't help when it's obviously a rule that he's not allowed free kicks. I don't think I've ever seen a guy umpired as harshly.

The rest were okish to poor.

Hopefully next week we see a finals like approach with a lot more intensity, desperation and conviction before the week off before the good stuff begins.
As long as we keep playing MacEntee we will also be one man down.
We should be selecting proven goal kickers Like Evans and maybe; just maybe, Fanta's body will be ready come September.

Anyone but MacEntee.

Rubbish, the time he shouted at him Farrell had put in a perfectly good kick, Finlayson didn't compete for it as he wanted it over the top.

I thought that happened when Farrell got pinged holding the ball after a text book tackle from behind.

As I posted in the general AFL thread, home finals for any club against any opposition over the last decade are a genuine coin flip. For whatever reason, home ground advantage just doesn't seem to hold in finals. It shouldn't come as a surprise that we were able to win an away final against a team we've routinely struggled against because that's just what happens across the league.

Trav had to eat Robbie and Chad to survive.

oh-my-george-takei.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that happened when Farrell got pinged holding the ball after a text book tackle from behind.
He must have done it twice then as he certainly lost his s**t over a kick.

Good result given the circumstances. Fremantle’s pressure was elite for most of the game & the umps were literally officiating to the crowd noise for the majority of the match.

Good to see Hayes continue on from last week despite carrying a damaged AC joint.

Freo put a lot of work in Houston off the ball resulting in his lowest output for quite some time, possibly opening the door for other teams to implement similar tactics.

Lord was poor, but I thought Marshall & Finny were serviceable throughout. However, you can’t help but think how much our forward line would benefit from a fit & in form Georgiades.

The end looks like it’s coming very quick for Boaky, gee I hope we can pull off a September miracle for him.
I reckon MG is gone with the wind, he has been sitting on a four year deal

It was (and that kick was from X not Farrell).

Butters ran past for the hand-ball and Farrell ignored him.
Then bang: looking for the prefect kick, he was pinged for holding-the-ball.

Lessons Learned: take first option when the super stars call for the ball.

And, I reckon Wines will again be the Skipper next year with Butters the heir apparent.

I don’t think so, Farrell needed to quick give, but giving a player a spray isn’t the reason

He is the player who seems to care the most
He’s always impacting the game
He’s a competitive beast

He’s IMO the next best captain

Are you thinking of the Kick from Duurs that Finlayson got angry about because he lost a one-on-one and wanted it over the back even though there was a Freo player right behind him? Or did Finlayson do it multiple times?

THE GOOD

Winning at Optus.
Butters close to best on ground again.
Duursma doing some stuff.
Wines having a great last half. Runnings his butt off.
Hayes holding his own against Jackson.
The backline looked calm and decisive even though Jonas and Burton were out of action for a fair bit.
The Hornet looking the goods.
A few bumps here and there from Butters.
I thought for the first, maybe second time that Butters should be captain next year over Rozee.
The small forwards applying pressure.
That Butters goal was awesome.
The Hornet run away from the pack and bouncing on Switowski was sex panther.
Marshall's ensuing sublime kick to Rioli.
Byrne-Jones with some precise kicking at the end of the game.
Finlayson creating goals.
Bergman back marking down back.

THE MEDIOCRE

The game itself.
Boak didn't quite make it up to game speed as a sub.
McEntee unsighted.
For Rozee, a bit of a down game. Still goodish though.
Marshall's kicking for goal. Supposedly a back issue.
Finalyson playing from behind.
Houston down a bit on stats but still contributing.
Jonas was not bad overall.

THE UGLY

Freo playing like the ghost of Ross Lyon was coaching.
Freo are a pretty dumb team.
The umpiring and holding the balls.
Freo winning centres until later in the game.
We could have done with a bit more energy and pressure.
Bergman defence on that goal was lacklustre. He should've dived and rushed it for a point. You're better than that, Bergers.

We should win against the Tigers next week.

It was an important win because let's face it, we would of lost a game like that prior to this season.

But holy smokes finny needs a rocket defensively and lack of contesting, a few of freo's runs from half back came from his lack of F's given.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back