Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been the victim of some terrible passing by team mates. Number of times he was open and the pass to him hit turf and took away the advantage he worked hard to gain.

He's had a rough few weeks, but I'm not writing him off.
Agree with this. Some of the hospital passes horrendous.

Yeah Lachie had two glaring errors plus the miscommunication with Dan but plenty of errors out there and missed chances across the board. We want our defenders going in and intercepting marks and spoiling as the third man up, he made more than he missed, hopefully him and Bergman will make an awesome duo coming across in the years ahead.
I noticed after the attempted missed marks he got a big fist in the last quarter.

When Ryan Burton was dropped earlier in the year I was really surprised. Always rated him.

Sat higher up that I normally do last night and can now see why.

Dumb positioning and quite a few subtle soft moments. He has become very adept at the looking like he's trying but not really because it's too hard type efforts.

Loose and disrespectful to his direct opponent. Sets up to be in selfish spots.

I've got faith in him, super talented and great skills, but also think accountability should be coming thick and fast.
Elite kick out of defence.

I’d rather lose this game in season and get it back in the finals.

I’d also like us to finish 2nd or 4th.

Pass on finishing 3rd
Or you know, you could just not lose either game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think I'll be able to get the image of the ball being kicked in to 50, Marshall standing relatively loose, and rather than having eyes for the footy, looked for his man, then ran next to him to body him up, then losing the contest and losing front position to be outmarked.

What the * even
Yes, I felt the tall forwards had reverted to the Hinkley non-leading style since both Finlayson and Marshall didn't attack the ball.

Didn't understand why a forward wouldn't make the ball their objective.

The Collingwood forwards were leading.

May I post in your forum?

This was a great game and a clear choke. We nailed hard shots from the boundary and 40+, your blokes missed gettables from 30-40 in the V. If you like to attribute blame, then the players and maybe the fitness people are to blame.

Hinkley out coached McRae for most of the night. He got bits of input from broken players like Lycett and Dixon, the tactics were perfect for the conditions, sensible match ups, the players were fired up exactly right. Stuff like using Rioli in bursts to expose Quaynor, the mix of blokes on Daicos, the patchwork ruck as fellas went down, it was a masterclass. The last two years we're used to seeing clubs exposed by Mcrae (eg Vossy repeatedly botching his midfield mix) but not this time.

You got slightly the better of the umpiring (that's the way these days, the umps crucified you in round 2 over here) but there were howlers both ways, not sure if anything was decided by that.

These posts blaming Hinkley for the loss are unreal. Ken is wringing amazing performances from middle tier list. Imagine if you had the resources to lure in Jeremy Cameron or one of the Kings? Port's weakness is off field, the political and money stuff. Footy you do well.

Just on the coaching buzz, maybe Carr is the replacement you need but he's not exactly a Hardwick or McRae, stints at Freo and in a state league is half an apprenticeship these days.

Change the coach if he's damaging the club (you're second, very hard for a non-Vic club) or there's a better option (there isn't, on paper.). Don't just go for Carr because he was an excellent on field leader. We did that with Bucks and Tony Shaw and while both had their good points, neither was as successful as the fella before them who was a grumpy outsider (Matthews and Malthouse).

If Hinkley's time is up you're losing a major part of your success, I suspect you will go down for a bit. Maybe Carr's the one to take you down and up the ladder again with this brilliant young midfield group: in particular I can watch JHF all day, solid gold. The only subpar thing about him is that joke of a mo, he was going hard in the last, putting you in front, belting our toughest player and crashing just about every pack. Is he 20 yet? Love to see him on fire in a Grand Final, and it'll happen soon IMHO.

If this is Ken's last tilt he's going out with the old guard in bandages, the young bloods on fire and all guns blazing. There's a sense of "here and now" for Port (like us, we still rely so much on Pendles and Sidey for all the talk of Daicos). I think you have Brisbane covered, so likely you are grand Final bound. I hope we make it there too, would be another cracker.
Middle tier list? Agree we need a couple of KP players and some depth but there are plenty of analysts out there who love our list.

That's because King's lips are welded firmly around Magpie utensil. He has been going on and on this year about how no team can get close to Collingwood when they are on - when Adelaide pushed them it was because Adelaide had the freedom of no one expecting them to win and being an up and coming good team with guys like Rachele and Rankine rah rah rah. So when his narrative is blown out of the water, it has to be because Collingwood did something wrong, rather than Port doing something right. The campaigner even had the nerve to drop us to four in his rankings which he's been itching to do since forever below Brisbane and ******* Melbourne (because they won against Adelaide who King also has a hardon for) after a game like that.

At the game I was expecting to see from Collingwood what I saw from Adelaide circa 2017 - this well drilled, well oiled machine that was like the Roman army in it's ruthless efficiency moving the ball forward of center. That's what I have been sold by King and everyone else. What I got was a team that looked like Richmond 2017 with a few tweaks - a good team, granted, but not this unstoppable behemoth that the media loves to talk up. I'm firmly of the opinion that half of Collingwood's belief actually stems from clowns like King in the media talking them up.

Daicos was quiet because Drew had 16 ******* tackles for the game. Double the next best player on the ground that was Houston with 8. Moore was quiet because we have enough threats up forward that make it impossible for him to zone off like he normally does and we kept our forwards back instead of having them push up the ground.

Port should have won that game, and it had nothing to do with Collingwood having a case of the Roger Federer's. Port had two rushed behinds to Collingwood's 3 - that means they had 17 genuine scoring shots (13.4) to Port's 21 (12.9)...and that's not counting the shots that went out on the full.

Guys like Butters and Houston were pissed off after the game because they knew the bullshit narrative around Collingwood would continue. The margin between the teams in the top four is wafer thin, and I think when it comes to finals it's anyone's premiership.
I loved seeing how pissed off Butters was. Shows how much more there is in the tank.

Did I say that?? Please re read.

Both players should be under scrutiny for their disposal. Jones was OK Sat night however the x2 spoil attempts that cost goals were poor. (Especially when you look at the final margin) Defending 101 don't let the ball get over the back and if you are going to impact the contest make sure you win the footy. Both times he didnt.

Miles by foot is sub-par, his kicking eff is 63%. He butchered the footy again Saturday night and needs to be called out. Yes, he's a nice intercept but if you give it straight back by foot most times, I don't care how many times you mark it.
I get the feeling Miles thinks he’s better than he is, some of the kicks just look too ambitious.

May I post in your forum?

This was a great game and a clear choke. We nailed hard shots from the boundary and 40+, your blokes missed gettables from 30-40 in the V. If you like to attribute blame, then the players and maybe the fitness people are to blame.

Hinkley out coached McRae for most of the night. He got bits of input from broken players like Lycett and Dixon, the tactics were perfect for the conditions, sensible match ups, the players were fired up exactly right. Stuff like using Rioli in bursts to expose Quaynor, the mix of blokes on Daicos, the patchwork ruck as fellas went down, it was a masterclass. The last two years we're used to seeing clubs exposed by Mcrae (eg Vossy repeatedly botching his midfield mix) but not this time.

You got slightly the better of the umpiring (that's the way these days, the umps crucified you in round 2 over here) but there were howlers both ways, not sure if anything was decided by that.

These posts blaming Hinkley for the loss are unreal. Ken is wringing amazing performances from middle tier list. Imagine if you had the resources to lure in Jeremy Cameron or one of the Kings? Port's weakness is off field, the political and money stuff. Footy you do well.

Just on the coaching buzz, maybe Carr is the replacement you need but he's not exactly a Hardwick or McRae, stints at Freo and in a state league is half an apprenticeship these days.

Change the coach if he's damaging the club (you're second, very hard for a non-Vic club) or there's a better option (there isn't, on paper.). Don't just go for Carr because he was an excellent on field leader. We did that with Bucks and Tony Shaw and while both had their good points, neither was as successful as the fella before them who was a grumpy outsider (Matthews and Malthouse).

If Hinkley's time is up you're losing a major part of your success, I suspect you will go down for a bit. Maybe Carr's the one to take you down and up the ladder again with this brilliant young midfield group: in particular I can watch JHF all day, solid gold. The only subpar thing about him is that joke of a mo, he was going hard in the last, putting you in front, belting our toughest player and crashing just about every pack. Is he 20 yet? Love to see him on fire in a Grand Final, and it'll happen soon IMHO.

If this is Ken's last tilt he's going out with the old guard in bandages, the young bloods on fire and all guns blazing. There's a sense of "here and now" for Port (like us, we still rely so much on Pendles and Sidey for all the talk of Daicos). I think you have Brisbane covered, so likely you are grand Final bound. I hope we make it there too, would be another cracker.
Nathan Buckley got that average list to almost win a grand final, and yous sacked him a couple years later. You just be beside yourself wondering what if and why the club would move on such a successful coach, wishing you could bring him back and get rid of McRae.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the football analysis and appreciation of football in general. The port adelaide football forum sadly is unbalanced by a hard core of posters who have a clique mentality and by a moderator who provides tactic cover and support for the negative commentary of the team he professes to support or barrack for.
You would probably include me in that clique mentality but I hate cliques with a passion. I don't rate Ken & haven't since 2015 but that does not make me part of a clique. I am enjoying the more positive messaging from Ken this year, it way way overdue.

Nathan Buckley got that average list to almost win a grand final, and yous sacked him a couple years later. You just be beside yourself wondering what if and why the club would move on such a successful coach, wishing you could bring him back and get rid of McRae.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
I think Bucks was a decent coach, very smart and hard working. I think he should coach again (likr Ratten and Voss).

He wasn't great 2012-2016, we essentially slid down the ladder as he learned the ropes he should led have learnt as an assistant at other clubs, and dealt with a successful sides with strong personalities he had to reshape. He also had a president riding him and making footy decisions.

Bucks inherited some issues from MM including an unresolved racism claim that was handled poorly.

2018 showed he could develop kids, take chances and adapt his gameplan (we pinched Richmonds). Even Eddie backed off...for 1 year, then he was back making footy decisions like recruiting Beams.

Many successful players in the current side were developed if not by Bucks then under his watch, as he was a loyal club man and didn't burn future chances pursuing instant success.

We kept him on longer than most thought we should because he was popular but also because we are a loyal club. However Bucks got the job too early, and because he was parachuted in as a clubs favourite son rather than earning his way he lacked authority.

You know your club better than me, and like I say maybe it is Ken's time. In this comparison Buckley isn't Hinkley, he's Carr.

Hird. Buckley. Carr. Add in Voss at Brisbane and Ratten at Carlton. Favourite sons with short apprenticeships. It's not often a winning formula.

Maybe Sam Mitchell will buck that trend. Seems to be going steadily at Hawthorn.

Was against Moore at most contests

The byproduct of kicking high to the same area on repeat is that the key defender known for his ability to get to contests is.. quite unsurprisingly going to get to lots of contests.

This is an accurate description of Marshall's night:
Marshall was involved in 20 contests. Moore was only at 4 of Marshall's contests. Of those, in 3 he was double teaming Marshall with Murphy.

Murphy was Marshall's direct defender in 16 of the 20 contests and he murdered him.

JHF and Marshall managed to * up a mark 40 metres out directly in front that ended up spilling to a Collingwood player and Marshall as mentioned missed a goal he just had to kick.

Image 001.jpg

He did have 3 critical score involvements however that he executed perfectly. However it was a below average game for him, but not as bad as Finlayson's.

Last edited:
They just made fewer mistakes than we did (which is probably often the case in a winning team so duh). But some of the mistakes we made were oh so ******* schoolboy.

The kicking for goal I've already commented on. Burton missed a couple that he just had to do better with. Marshall missed one he would kick 9 times out of 10. WTF was Finlayson thinking with that quasi snap on goal when he had 30 seconds to compose himself?

Duursma who admittedly is underdone made some critical mistakes. Took a bounce he didn't need to whether Dixon sold him up the river or not. Got caught like a deer in headlights when he received the ball from JHF. There was a shot at goal or a pass to a contest (I can't decide which) that ended up being a throw in that just had to be better as well. But he will be better for the run. I have confidence in him.

Farrells out of bounds has already been extensively commented on.

And there were others. Collingwood simply didn't make those kinds of mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back