Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

YeH basically what el_scorcho said.

I wouldn’t have to defend todd so much if there wasn’t always the same group ready to can his every game irrespective of what’s actually happening out there.

Todd was constantly having to beat Moore in the air who was allowed the chance to run and jump at the ball.

Every game? lol Try the first time this season.

I've made a nice couple of posters for you of what actually happened out there so you can put it on your fridge.So you have a reminder of the facts. I have a copy in case I am mistaken somewhere. There were no contests with Moore alone so only 2 posters.

Todd vs Murphy.png

Todd vs 2.png

Direct opponent isn't a meaningful point when both teams make liberal use of loose men and intercept markers.

Aliir doesn't always take the best key forward but he still positions himself to get to balls directed to that forward, and Moore arguably the only player in the league better than Aliir at getting to defensive marking contests.

It's not 1985 where every position is a 1v1 contest. Having Moore in the backline made it more difficult for all of our marking forwards.

Marshall basically hit his career averages minus 1 goal, had our most marks inside 50, our most goal assists, our most score involvements, equal most marks on a wet night. It certainly wasn't his best game but he was hardly terrible.
I didn't say it was terrible. It was however below his average. He missed a crucial shot he would kick 9 times out of 10. In concert with JHF he botched an easy mark 40 metres straight out from goal. Of the 5 marks he took, 3 were marks where he was just sitting in a paddock by himself where he received a 15 metre pass. Hardly something to write home about for a key forward.

Like it or not he did get pantsed by Murphy. The commentators said it and they were right. Normally he would win more than 1 out of 11. Only once did he bring the ball to ground to anyone's advantage. The assists though were very very good but he would certainly have wanted to make more of any impact than he did even if it was nailing that goal and being more competitive in the air.

Yes, I agree, the weather wasn't great for tall forwards.He would agree though that he could have done better. See the posters.

Of the 5 marks he took, 3 were marks where he was just sitting in a paddock by himself where he received a 15 metre pass. Hardly something to write home about for a key forward.

Actually this is the system working. Taking uncontested marks where he's found himself in space is exactly what we want Marshall doing. Contested marks are where the system hasn't worked and we've been forced to kick to a contest. A key forward taking uncontested marks the aim. If he took 3 of his 5 marks inside 50 and he was getting uncontested marks, that's good.

Saying he was "Pantsed" by Murphy is gilding the lily something chronic. Only 1 player on the ground took more marks than him. Marshall absolutely could have played better but i'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here on a night where none of the key forwards on the ground had a lot of influence because the ball was wet.

Actually this is the system working. Taking uncontested marks where he's found himself in space is exactly what we want Marshall doing. Contested marks are where the system hasn't worked and we've been forced to kick to a contest. A key forward taking uncontested marks the aim. If he took 3 of his 5 marks inside 50 and he was getting uncontested marks, that's good.

Saying he was "Pantsed" by Murphy is gilding the lily something chronic. Only 1 player on the ground took more marks than him. Marshall absolutely could have played better but i'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here on a night where none of the key forwards on the ground had a lot of influence because the ball was wet.
2 of the marks were well outside fifty. The other was right on the cusp. He didn't take any contested marks, he didn't take any on a lead. To put it in context, 1 player took more marks, but 3 others took as many. 11 players took 4, only 1 less, including McStay, Moore and Aliir. All talls.

Dixon, McStay and Mihocek all kicked 2 goals. Finlayson probably had the least impact of any of our talls up forward, but had 15 disposals, 5 tackles and 3 clearances.

Marshall did have two goal assists, basically three, although one was definitely a throw and he did screw with JHF screw up a gimme mark which would have resulted in a straight shot 40m out. He missed a gimme kick at goal, especially for him at a crucial time. He had 1 contested possession, the least of any key forward, one 1% and 2 tackles. Only Mihocek had less.

Moore was not his direct opponent, and wasn't for most of his contests, as insisted by some. It was Murphy who had 16 spoils, 11 possessions, 6 contested.

So based on his performance IMO he didn't have a good night. Especially by his standards and even in context with the other key forwards and his direct opponent. I think Jeremy was probably worse particularly up forward because he missed two gettable shots and should have stuck to his set routine instead of basically having a snap with one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back