AFL Grand Final 2023 AFL Grand Final: Collingwood vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask me what what?

Why a team with more talent on every line couldn't generate more scoring opportunities than Collingwood?

The same club that couldn't make a GF from the top 2 when it was held at the GABBA in 2020?

Maybe the coach is a bit geezery
BUT WHO ELSE ARE THEY GOING TO GET?

If we were actually ruthless and actually went after success, rather than accepting mediocrity and going after stability, these numbers probably look totally different.

If you're talking about outcomes you have to factor in that Gold Coast, Adelaide and Port Adelaide in particular have been geared for failure due to mass incompetence.

So really there are only 5 non Vic clubs actually chasing success.

I was a Collingwood supporter until Port won the license so bias alert.

But the fixation with the play on to advantage at the end seems excessive.

Brisbane benefited from their fair share of umpiring howlers through the game, and Collingwood were pretty clearly the superior team on the day.

I have a lot of sympathy for the broader ‘Vic bias’ claims, which is more systematic.

I was a Collingwood supporter until Port won the license so bias alert.

But the fixation with the play on to advantage at the end seems excessive.

Brisbane benefited from their fair share of umpiring howlers through the game, and Collingwood were pretty clearly the superior team on the day.

I have a lot of sympathy for the broader ‘Vic bias’ claims, which is more systematic.
When you add in the 6 to 1 frees not paid to gws into the reckoning it leaves a sour taste of whether collingwood was not meant to loose the grand final. A football royal commission inquiry will not happen so just left with public opinion to express a real felt disappointment with the creditability of the afl competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final minute was the kind of thing that would be brushed off if it were, I dunno, the second quarter. It wasn't gamebreaking umpiring. But the fact that umpires s**t the bed when it came to making very late calls to benefit Brisbane when they were in a position to win the game, makes it a very sour ending, and is not inconsistent with other results that favoured the local teams.

The final minute was the kind of thing that would be brushed off if it were, I dunno, the second quarter. It wasn't gamebreaking umpiring. But the fact that umpires s**t the bed when it came to making very late calls to benefit Brisbane when they were in a position to win the game, makes it a very sour ending, and is not inconsistent with other results that favoured the local teams.
Sounds like the GWS game.

The only part of the umpiring yesterday that really annoyed me was the head high frees, especially that Mitchell one in the last quarter.

All the talk in this game over the last several years around players dropping their knees and umpires still can't recognise it happening. Biggest blight on the game.

The only part of the umpiring yesterday that really annoyed me was the head high frees, especially that Mitchell one in the last quarter.

All the talk in this game over the last several years around players dropping their knees and umpires still can't recognise it happening. Biggest blight on the game.
It's a hard decision to make in the moment. All the talk about dropping knees, ducking, etc, is overwhelmed by the talk of PROTECT THE HEAD, and there's a point where playing for a free doesn't give a player free reign to clobber someone high and get away with it.

Not saying the umpires do a good job, but high contact is a shamozzle.

It's a hard decision to make in the moment. All the talk about dropping knees, ducking, etc, is overwhelmed by the talk of PROTECT THE HEAD, and there's a point where playing for a free doesn't give a player free reign to clobber someone high and get away with it.

Not saying the umpires do a good job, but high contact is a shamozzle.

It's a very recognisable action and not at all difficult to see in the moment.

It's all well and good to protect the head but if players are willingly putting themselves in a position to get a head injury then some responsibility has to go back on them.

It's a very recognisable action and not at all difficult to see in the moment.

It's all well and good to protect the head but if players are willingly putting themselves in a position to get a head injury then some responsibility has to go back on them.
I agree 100%

Try getting that across to the players, and coaches, and litigators though.

Keating was a very good player in finals & that's where it counts
You're thinking of Clark Keating. Aaron Keating is some no-name who snuck a flag for the Crows in one of his six career games.

The Berry 50 was puzzling given they rarely pay 50 for holding up the play like that these days so as a player you certainly think you'd get away with that with a few minutes to play in a close grand final.

Overall though I thought the umpiring was pretty good and had no big impact on the game or result.

There definitely needs less ambiguity. I’d be happy with more clarity such as
Any head high contact free
Ball hits post play on or score
Any non return ball 25m penalty
Backward kicks no mark

Strategically, as there’s a flood on numbers back, I’m not sure why teams don’t kick high for time and then run forward to create a contest, rather than kicking long to opponents and then turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back