Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

and with a thorough review they would be able to identify where they fell short.

FE8B4749-7DA6-432A-9404-B2A085BA1C7C.jpeg

‘What else do you expect him to say’, and all that, but you know what’d be awesome?

If the club could stop characterising opponents as nigh-invincible boogeymen, and talking about what they might be able to achieve over the endless endless horizon, and actually freaking perform in the moment.

Opportunities fade. Careers end.

Just STFU and do it, maybe.

I am pretty sure everyone had the same conversation at 3/4 'Game should be over and we know they will come'

We sh!t the bed massively. All Farrell had to do was attack the ball and contest it either over the line or boundary. Highly doubt he would have been caught HTB. We had made half a dozen schoolboy errors that cost us the game.

That Allir throw in call is disgusting. It reeks of that knobhead boundary umpire reading the rule book while sipping his camomile tea during the week, looking for a rule that displays his astute knowledge. Send him back to Noarlunga.

I actually thought they looked timid and scared in the third quarter. We had them on the ropes and just failed to land the knockout blow. Giving up two goals in the first 3 minutes of the 4th gave them that belief back.

They are very very beatable. It took an astonishing display of clutch kicking from Collingwood combined with an time piss blasting performance from us for that result.

But in saying all that, this would be my top nomination if I had to show an example of a Hinkley style loss. Even down to the 3 minutes to get the lead back.
Absolutely correct, allowing the wobblers to score those two goals so quickly in the first few minutes of the last term had an enormous effect on the final result.

At the risk of being called captain obvious if Port had been able to hold the better part of the 17 point lead for 7 or 8 minutes or better still add even just few points to it, then regardless of our wayward goal shooting it becomes a different game with possibly a different result, but they got their tails up big time and with the self belief that came with that they got the chocolates.

The above aside I saw nothing to suggest that with all things being equal and with neither team being decimated by injury to key players that Port can't match it with Collingwood physically, whether we can match their mental strength is the unknown, but you would hope some lessons were learned in that regard on Sat night.

In the 4th, if the defence held up better without skill errors we would have won.

Out of the lesser lights, Evans good in the 4th. He stays in .

Burton, Jones, Farrell and Aliir with errors they should not be making that led to goals.
Also I thinknk Duursma as well.

Also a ruck would've helped. We got pretty pummelled there as well.

IMG_20230723_091018.jpg
Final quarter stats show their midfield stepped up whilst Port was found wanting outside of Rozee.

The midfield can't go missing in these tight games and especially not when you're reliant on a front half game style.

Coaches votes interesting. Either Drew or Elliott got 5 votes from one coach and none from the other.

9 Connor Rozee (PORT)
5 Willem Drew (PORT)
5 Jamie Elliott (COLL)
4 Nathan Murphy (COLL)
3 Taylor Adams (COLL)
3 Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
1 Steele Sidebottom (COLL)

Coaches votes interesting. Either Drew or Elliott got 5 votes from one coach and none from the other.

9 Connor Rozee (PORT)
5 Willem Drew (PORT)
5 Jamie Elliott (COLL)
4 Nathan Murphy (COLL)
3 Taylor Adams (COLL)
3 Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
1 Steele Sidebottom (COLL)

How does Rozee get 9 then?

McRae talked up Daicos's game so I don't think he would give Drew 5. I can't believe Elliott wouldn't get votes from both coaches.

McRae like SPP's game too.

It's funny, before the game all the talk on the Collingwood boards was how this was their best 22 and how we were bringing in injured underdone players.

Post game it flipped: Port'll never get that close again hurr durr.

Let them think that.
That and

Port might win but it won't mean anything in finals

Collingwood won so you can't beat them next time!!

View attachment 1753023
Final quarter stats show their midfield stepped up whilst Port was found wanting outside of Rozee.

The midfield can't go missing in these tight games and especially not when you're reliant on a front half game style.
It was inevitable.
We lost the clearances/ inside ball badly, Lycett was mauled & they got first hands on it at clearances too often.
We defended the outside well and their rebounding half backs. But it wasn’t sustainable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee and Butters now level with Daicos and De Goey as the highest cosches votes combination of two players from the same club

I'm guessing that Coach B is Hinkley

Coach ACoach B
Connor Rozee (PORT)54
Willem Drew (PORT)5
Jamie Elliott (COLL)41
Nathan Murphy (COLL)22
Taylor Adams (COLL)3
Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)3
Steele Sidebottom (COLL)1

I'm guessing that Coach B is Hinkley

Coach ACoach B
Connor Rozee (PORT)54
Willem Drew (PORT)5
Jamie Elliott (COLL)41
Nathan Murphy (COLL)22
Taylor Adams (COLL)3

Could also be:

Coach A (Hinkley)Coach B (McRae)
Connor Rozee (PORT) 54
Jamie Elliott (COLL) 5
Willem Drew (PORT)23
Nathan Murphy (COLL)4
Taylor Adams (COLL)12

I don’t think we played a bad last quarter overall. It came down to individual moments of brilliance by them, a slack first five minutes by us and a couple of poor moments by our individuals (Jones OOF, Farrell x2, Finlayson rushing shots on goal that were well within his repertoire). For most of the last quarter it was an arm wrestle and we went toe for toe and had opportunities to score, most notably the Farrell dropped mark from a beautiful JHF clearance and pass.

I think we have plenty to work with.

All of King’s focus today was on the fact that we had everything go our way and still lost. DeGoey being sick, Daicos and Moore uncharacteristically quiet. But I think we can get more out of Marshall - at least in front of goal, Finlayson and Butters who faded notably in the last half. Similarly, JHF really got going after HT and I wouldn’t be surprised if that game helps hone his form for the run home.

We all know we should get more from Wines and Boak, but who knows if they have any shots to fire between now and the end of the year. Similarly, Duursma was a non-entity in the last quarter and needs to give us better gut running forward and back over four quarters - just as Josh Daicos and Sidebottom did for them.

I don’t think there’s a magic solution needed. Most guys just need to tighten their games, either by doing more over the full game or not making such costly blunders. Then we need Lycett, Boak and Wines to actually contribute in a meaningful way.
I agree. We still kicked 3 goals and that should have been enough, but for their brilliant kicking. They basically kicked 6.1 from shots from every part of the forward line.

Hi Chewy. I've been looking for quarter by quarter stat's. What website is that?

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry mate, this was sent to me by a friend in the media who was covering the game. This screenshot is of their internal software program. Can't be accessed by the public.

While he gave it to the crowd a bit, have to admire Elliot. Absolutely clutch.

If injuries hadn’t plagued his career, he’d probably be considered in the same class as Toby Greene
Blamed my lad for this, he was giving Jamie a fair bit before the game because he wouldn't come over to have a photo with the Collingwood fans around him in the western stand.

Was mentioned that he would have to quiet my lad down. Didn't work, abuse flowed throughout the game and his mum busted him on the coverage with beer in hand but ultimately...

I couldn't believe how calm the Collingwood players were during the match and in the last quarter. I felt like they would never give a 50 away or belt a bloke. Just all in the zone.
Some of that goes to have banked the wins and sitting top, even with a loss, hard to see them missing top 2. So not as much at stake as us.

Unfortunately the result reminded me a bit of the days v Brisbane 2000-2004.
Typically win at home, lose by more away and beat them on neutral turf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back