Review Round 1, 2023 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

... When teams bring equivalent or greater pressure than us in the middle, that's always when we fall apart under Hinkley ...
Nonsense. We've won a heap of high pressure games under Hinkley and often against highly rated teams. As for 'falling apart', as distinct from losing a close one, it's rare not always. Most of us are scarred by the Western Bulldogs PF in 2021 but that's not even close to being representative of his CV.

I wouldn't get too carried away by game style. It's easy to play free flowing football on a beautiful day in March. Let's see how that all looks as the season goes on.
Definitely the case there. But a good sign that teams might not know who to tag considering we're not repeating on one player. We have been very one dimensional in the past.

I think the team also has inside players. Against contested teams you probably want Wines and SPP to help out while still being able to rotate Rozzee, JHF, and Butters at different times. Yet to see how plan B could work.

Definitely more confident that they'll come good over the year .

Nonsense. We've won a heap of high pressure games under Hinkley and often against highly rated teams. As for 'falling apart', as distinct from losing a close one, it's rare not always. Most of us are scarred by the Western Bulldogs PF in 2021 but that's not even close to being representative of his CV.
His CV includes losing the two highest pressure games before even making it to the highest pressure game.

I saw the second half a bit differently from others.

I just thought our young midfield dominated contested possession, linked up well and used their skills to hit good spots for our forwards.
I thought they dominated.
This is not a midfield of old that would be creamed. We creamed them and then they lost the will to fight and then turned into traffic cones.
I mean the Lions started the second half two goals up.
As I've pondered in the off season, Wines might be our 4th best midfielder now. Horne-Francis, Rozee, Butters, Wines.

And yes, it's been one game but it was the young guys and the middle-aged guys who played us to win.

Does anyone remember what this tweet was?
you must be geo blocked or something. This is it. Taking the piss out of Sunday Mail's picture of Bergman instead of JHF when they talked about JHF.

FrinxNpaYAMlANK

In JHF's post match interview, he was asked what changed after half time, he said they started to play their own game, and that they played with maturity. An interesting comment, I thought.
'Played with maturity' means nothing at all. Turned up in the right colour shorts? Able to lace up his own boots?
I think he's just had some media training in using plausible nonsense to distract journos who ask stupid questions.

I didn't think Brisbane were even that good in the first half.

+17 free kicks and some really lucky goals kicked from long range. They were incredibly efficient but it looked a lot like luck.

Ports second half was obviously hugely impressive but I don't think it came completely out of nowhere. The difference is that they didn't throw in the towel where as in the past thats what we had become accustomed to.

I'm hearing a lot of Brisbane were really bad, didn't show up etc instead of people just actually recognising that we smacked them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane put absolutely no pressure on us for a vast majority of the game and their forwards didnt even try to work themselves into the game. They were genuinely trash. Good win to watch but keen to see how we go against a team thats verifiably in some form.

Brisbane put absolutely no pressure on us for a vast majority of the game and their forwards didnt even try to work themselves into the game. They were genuinely trash. Good win to watch but keen to see how we go against a team thats verifiably in some form.
Yeah but its hard to put pressure on when we are moving the ball quickly and CLEANLY for a change. Rozee is so slick he was untouchable.

Collingwood pressure is manic and they never stop going for it , completely different game

Watched the reply and the new recruits look quite promising.

4 to 5 goals missed 30 to 40 meters though with no affected wind on a slight angel….WTF!!

A few times Rozee could have spotted a player inside 50 but decided to go Hinkley ball instead….frustrating!!

Home game wins are always good early on but!! Once Upon A Time In Hollywood performances don’t mean s**t come July, August and September.

We don’t play at the McG very often, so let’s hope we back it up on Saturday where the GF’s are won.

In JHF's post match interview, he was asked what changed after half time, he said they started to play their own game, and that they played with maturity. An interesting comment, I thought.

He might've heard the term 'humility' being bandied about and thought, "wtf? - nah, they must mean maturity".

It was a tremendous performance, but on the basis of every conceivable measure the performance was an extreme outlier from both teams, particularly us. It was clearly the best performance we've put in against a top side in several years.

At the moment it remains a one-off, round 1 performance, until we demonstrate otherwise.

I expect us to lose to Collingwood, but if we beat them, it'll be a solid 2nd step in convincing us that there has been a significant change.

you must be geo blocked or something. This is it. Taking the piss out of Sunday Mail's picture of Bergman instead of JHF when they talked about JHF.

FrinxNpaYAMlANK

Weird. It works on the computer, but not on the phone!

Nah. We're talking about style. Our skill level consistently falls apart under pressure. The best teams find a way to pick through traffic, take and nail the courageous play on option etc. I never said we don't win some pressure games, but our wins are typically in spite of our shitty skill execution and that's ultimately unsustainable in a finals campaign.

I'd love it if that's changed, but it's a touch early to start windmilling on the back of the bandwagon.

Collingwood pressure is manic and they never stop going for it , completely different game
Woods beat us by 6 points at the g late last season, Brisbane beat us by 11 points at the gabba in rnd1 last season. Woods finished 4th, lions 1 win behind at 6th.
But apparently completely different games? Wtf are you talking about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back