Review Round 1, 2024 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t think WC played 2023 bad. If they have a better run with injuries I could see them scraping off the bottom.

18 hit outs to advantage in a game is obscene numbers. Wheelo has Soldo at 12, which is still the second best number for any ruckman this year.

Lycett averaged 7 last year, if Soldo can keep his average up in double figures that's game changing with our midfield.

I also noticed Soldo was the highest highest rated player on the ground. I missed most of the game yesterday but sounds like he had an absolute ripper.
He was great!

I think that he and those roving to him will get on a stronger wavelength and those 18 hit outs to advantage will improve quite markedly.

There were times when he hit/tapped the ball first but it landed in nowheresville which means that as the rovers and he start getting used to each other and read each other better, we will get better and better - that is a scary thought for oppositions but will make us deliriously happy.

Heya port fans. * what a fantastic win, against meek opposition for sure, but nonetheless it was like watching a house cat * with a mouse. I looked at the line ups before the game and couldn’t be more impressed with the port side. Winners on every line.

I hope you give it a hell of a shake this year. All the best

Love that we now have adequate height in our defence but think we need more speed which is why Jones gets a game. If he can stop panicking & back himself in he will become an asset.

I was disappointed in Bergman. Ineffective game imo. Our wings are still a mess.

We are still heavily reliant on Charlie. When are we going to start creating space in our forward 50 by having players lead in several directions to drag their defenders with them?

Nice to actually have a proper ruckman.

Love that we now have adequate height in our defence but think we need more speed which is why Jones gets a game. If he can stop panicking & back himself in he will become an asset.

I was disappointed in Bergman. Ineffective game imo. Our wings are still a mess.

We are still heavily reliant on Charlie. When are we going to start creating space in our forward 50 by having players lead in several directions to drag their defenders with them?

Nice to actually have a proper ruckman.
I like Jones. I think he has huge potential.

However I think back to Hawthorn in particular and it wasn't pace that made them a great team. It was in large part the ability of many of their players to find space and distribute the ball with pinpoint precision. Is that still not of value in today's game?

Anyway I would like to see Williams tried forward and probably persist with Jones as I don't think there is anyone better suited to play his role in defense atm. If he can steer clear of injuries, and ges a run of games into him, I'm sure he will improve..

Good sides are not gonna allow Farrell, Houston & Burton to just queue up for a give off around 50.
Sure but that comes with the benefit of drawing an oppo player out of position to cover that option. The fact that we have three guys setting up the wall who are all genuine threats to kick from outside 50 is a big structural win for us.

I like Jones. I think he has huge potential.

However I think back to Hawthorn in particular and it wasn't pace that made them a great team. It was in large part the ability of many of their players to find space and distribute the ball with pinpoint precision. Is that still not of value in today's game?

Anyway I would like to see Williams tried forward and probably persist with Jones as I don't think there is anyone better suited to play his role in defense atm. If he can steer clear of injuries, and ges a run of games into him, I'm sure he will improve..

Hawthorn had skill and also outstanding game changing defensive strategy.

But they were quick too. Especially on the wings and up forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good sides are not gonna allow Farrell, Houston & Burton to just queue up for a give off around 50.
The question is where are they going to drag men from to man them up?

Form their defence opening up the i50.

Or from their forwards lessening the risk of turnover rebounds

Either way it is good for us.

Heya port fans. * what a fantastic win, against meek opposition for sure, but nonetheless it was like watching a house cat * with a mouse. I looked at the line ups before the game and couldn’t be more impressed with the port side. Winners on every line.

I hope you give it a hell of a shake this year. All the best
******* legend mate. All the best to your boys this season

Yeah except that atmosphere is now the norm at our games. There's zero anticipation or excitement for the season, go back 6, 7 years ago and there's be a lot more crowd noise and buzz even against west Coast or someone s**t because people were looking forward with excitement to the season.
A degree of excitement might return if we happen to jag a premiership, but after nearly 20 years of failure when it matters, there's a consensus of, "I've seen it all before."

I cannot believe how little I've heard about JHF's game, and staggered that he missed out on coaches votes.

Walked out of Adelaide Oval on Sunday thinking he was the most influential player on the ground.
There were a lot of good players who would've missed out on the votes but the Sex Panther played a really good game. He's in for a pretty big year.

50 point loss in their first game and the WA media still handing out free cuddles to the Eagles.

Not a topic for this thread but the way the WA media and corporates refuse to scrutinise the performance of the richest footy club in the country continues to amaze.
Some refer to them as the WA Crows......

Some refer to them as the WA Crows......
The way the WA media and big business supports the Eagles even puts the Crows to shame, and not just because they have more $$$ to splash around.

Best exemplified by the way the Kerry Stokes owned West Australian (Stokes also owns the Channel 7 network) stopped former WA great Peter Sumich from publishing an article criticising the hype around No 1 draft pick Harley Reid a few weeks back. Sumich quit the paper because of it.

Freo have f-all hope competing with that WA-Inc BS.

Getting an established team like Port into the AFL curbed the Crows Adelaide Inc TFASA BS - albeit marginally - in a way a 2nd composite Frankenstein's monster would never have done.

The way the WA media and big business supports the Eagles even puts the Crows to shame, and not just because they have more $$$ to splash around.

Best exemplified by the way the Kerry Stokes owned West Australian (Stokes also owns the Channel 7 network) stopped former WA great Peter Sumich from publishing an article criticising the hype around No 1 draft pick Harley Reid a few weeks back. Sumich quit the paper because of it.

Freo have f-all hope competing with that WA-Inc BS.

Getting an established team like Port into the AFL curbed the Crows Adelaide Inc TFASA BS - albeit marginally - in a way a 2nd composite Frankenstein's monster would never have done.
From experience the wet toast carry on in Perth appears to be way more over the top than what we get re the tingles here.

An example is when I did a Swan river cruise some years back and the bloke driving the boat carried on about the toast consistently, even playing their song over the boat's intercom. :rolleyes:

What was even sillier, it was about 6- 8 weeks after the season had finished, they hadn't made the finals for that year, and most of the passengers on the cruise were asians who didn't have a clue what he was on about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back