Preview Round 1, 2024 vs West Coast Eagles @ Adelaide Oval 17/3/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The back 6 still worries me. Some of them are good players, but defensively suspect, especially 1v1. I get that we like pressing up and using the half backs good kicks for ball movement but that has to be balanced with you know... actually defending.

Burton is not a good defender, plays loose and isn't what I'd call a lover of the tough stuff.

Houston - gun - but also not a good defender, plays loose and is prone to a few less than great tackle attempts.

Jones I actually like as a defender and I think will turn into a good player but right now is a bit of a fumbly bomb scare.

Farrell I like as a player and I think is a bit underrated as a defender but doesn't have a natural instinct for it.

Rat could be ok but is green and of the games I've seen him for Geelong has gotten lost when the ball moves quickly and the dark arts of 1v1 big boy defending are still a bit of a mystery.

Aliir - gun, tick, we're good here. But needs to hold more marks.

Zerk Thatcher - looks to me like he has the right attitude and willingness for the contest. Does he have the ability? Remains to be seen

I would be much more comfortable with McKenzie and Williams back there. When I see Evans, DBJ and McEntee forward I can't help but think Burton, Farrell, Jones and heck even Houston might be better utilised up the ground to make room...

Last edited:

First word out of his mouth about the season is "anxiety". Far out. This guy is biggest loser of all losers.
Nervous Episode 1 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Of the new tall defenders I like what BZT has shown in the trial matches, I'm not yet convinced about Ratugolea particularly for the 1 v 1 stuff but if he can cut the mustard I suspect we will see Aliir get back to his best, and we should also see improvement from Burton.

I like the potential of Lachie Jones with his speed, strength and attack on the ball although he definitely needs to tidy up certain areas of his game, but with Williams and McKenzie waiting in the wings we are fairly well covered for the medium size types if he doesn't measure up.

Regardless of what the best back 6 eventually becomes for season 2024 though it has to be an improvement on previous years when Jonas became an absolute liability resulting in too much extra pressure on the other defenders.

Not sold on Ollie being any better this year than he was last year at this point. He was good against the Crows after Butters went off.

Think it’s going to come down to Mead or Ollie once we start losing games.

Of the new tall defenders I like what BZT has shown in the trial matches, I'm not yet convinced about Ratugolea particularly for the 1 v 1 stuff but if he can cut the mustard I suspect we will see Aliir get back to his best, and we should also see improvement from Burton.

I like the potential of Lachie Jones with his speed, strength and attack on the ball although he definitely needs to tidy up certain areas of his game, but with Williams and McKenzie waiting in the wings we are fairly well covered for the medium size types if he doesn't measure up.

Regardless of what the best back 6 eventually becomes for season 2024 though it has to be an improvement on previous years when Jonas became an absolute liability resulting in too much extra pressure on the other defenders.

Geebong making us pay through the nose for an out of contract savrat was ridiculous. Should have walked to the pre season draft

It's done now but arguably we should've just gone another year with McKenzie/Clurey and maybe put some faith in a young player like Pasini/Walsh before making a big play for Petty at the end of this season. We paid an unreasonable amount of draft and presumably salary cap capital to get two pretty mediocre players who aren't going to offer us much improvement. Instead we've locked ourselves into mediocrity for the foreseeable future and handed the Crows Petty on a silver platter.

It's done now but arguably we should've just gone another year with McKenzie/Clurey and maybe put some faith in a young player like Pasini/Walsh before making a big play for Petty at the end of this season. We paid an unreasonable amount of draft and presumably salary cap capital to get two pretty mediocre players who aren't going to offer us much improvement. Instead we've locked ourselves into mediocrity for the foreseeable future and handed the Crows Petty on a silver platter.
How can you make this assessment already?

Hang on, has the BOM gone from a hot sunny March afternoon to chance of showers and a thunderstorm likely in the morning, then also still 30+?

The worst of both worlds combined.

I’m missing this game unfortunately, have something I have to do . Looking forward to watching the replay that’s the best I can do .
Keen to see the new defensive model and the new ruck .
Watching the other games so far the key forwards are very important Carlton’s have proved the point off difference in their games .
We do have key forwards, not the best in the league but better than Coll and Melb.and our midfield is now strong , wings are a bit of a worry , Burgoyne and Sinn seem more natural wingers so hopefully they can reach the level and cement themselves in the team

Not sold on Ollie being any better this year than he was last year at this point. He was good against the Crows after Butters went off.

Think it’s going to come down to Mead or Ollie once we start losing games.
He is just gonna be getting more footy than last year. Which is actually bad because he cant kick.

Last edited:
Hang on, has the BOM gone from a hot sunny March afternoon to chance of showers and a thunderstorm likely in the morning, then also still 30+?

The worst of both worlds combined.
Hinkley to blame everything on humidity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenzie is solid but he always seems to get injured, and clurey is the same with injuries but I can’t remember the last decent game he played.

We needed to make changes to our defence, we were probably a year or two too late if anything.

I think BZT and Esava will be handy pick ups and I don’t think we paid an unreasonable amount for them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Harley gets another near full back page in the West Oz. Well after you take off the Harvey Norman wrapper, he gets the back page.

GO GET 'EM KID' is the headline with a smiling Harley at the airport.

He is just gonna be getting more footy than last year. Which is actually bad because he cant kick.
That's the issue at the moment with Wines. We will see if he can get back to 30 possies a game.

We have three AA type of midfielders in the guts and if Wines wants to get in and under and dish it out and help connect plays to the Three Amigos then life is good but if he wants to mainly kick into the F50 then his utility drops considerably.

This is why it will be interesting to see Mead in the centre for a bit because in those trial game just about everything he did helped the team. He was super efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back