Review Round 2, 2024 vs Richmond - Boak’s 350th

Remove this Banner Ad

What a great half forward game by Byrne-Jones. He was in and amongst it and considering he didn't have Powell-Pepper or McEntee he really stood out.

Although I really enjoyed the goal where he cleaned up Picket's mess and nailed it on the run, his best bit of play was fighting for the ball on the wing, he used intelligence and hard work which ended up in Finny running about 25 metres to an open goal.

What a great half forward game by Byrne-Jones. He was in and amongst it and considering he didn't have Powell-Pepper or McEntee he really stood out.

Although I really enjoyed the goal where he cleaned up Picket's mess and nailed it on the run, his best bit of play was fighting for the ball on the wing, he used intelligence and hard work which ended up in Finny running about 25 metres to an open goal.
He's played some good footy up there DBJ I've come to the conclusion his disposal is better as a forward because he doesn't think about it too much, it's a different beast when he's all fluttery and feeling pressure as a defender.

He's played some good footy up there DBJ I've come to the conclusion his disposal is better as a forward because he doesn't think about it too much, it's a different beast when he's all fluttery and feeling pressure as a defender.
Going over my notes for the game, I feel bad that I didn't have him in the votes but sometimes there are 8 or 9 standout players and the last few votes are hard to cast.

I typically bias towards players who are the reason we kick away and win the game and Byrne-Jones was in and amongst it in the last quarter when we piled on 4.1 to separate us from the Tigers.

The thing about his game was he took the game on which is generally quite against the way we play. We can play quite passive and conservatively and just head for the boundary line at any occasion. Darcy won the ball, distributed the ball and kicked goals.

But yeah, up forward he has less options to choose from and uses his instinctual kicking to a better degree. Even the kick off the ground in the first quarter shows this.

I would also say this in general in the AFL but also for our team. If you look at Miles Bergman and Lachie Jones, they are instinctual players who are asked to play an intelligent role in the team which curbs their natural desire to just play. There is an adjustment period and when this is completed, these players who can be a bit fumbly come out of it and excel.

Byrne-Jones stood up when both Powell-Pepper and McEntee were out so that is a really good thing for him. Lets see what he can do against a good team like Melbourne.

I wonder if Ken is going the Malcom Blight approach, I don’t care if we leak goals, as long as we kick more.

Soldo, Dixon, Finlayson all missed easy ones, our kicking needs to get better. Dixon since he’s been with us misses when he leans back.

Guess what!

Watching the replay leads me to believe we have a plan B.

For the negative Nannie’s, that’s in addition to plan A.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back