Review Round 2, 2024 vs Richmond - Boak’s 350th

Remove this Banner Ad

So what do you do with this sort of player?
Keep going with him and hope he improves?
Hope while your waiting for this improvement he doesn’t cost you a big game
Drop him or trade him.
He was excellent on the HB line late last year. Especially good at shutting down some elite forwards and intercepting.

As much as I’d love him to thrive on the wing, he would do a better job than Burton or Jones in defence at the moment.

I think Farrell and Burton are mainly in the team to do damage with the ball in hand, I didn’t think it was too bad. I don’t think either have ever been great at defending one on one. Might need to watch the game again, thought the turnovers were the biggest issue today and Burton went at 91% from 23 disposals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Farrell has the mongrel in him. Reference Bulldogs at Marvel last season.

Does Burton do any damage with ball in hand? Would rather Williams out there. Or Bergman back at least he is an aerial threat.

I thought he was okay, but it appears I’m In the minority

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not bad from reverse coleman medal winner bzt dont think hes going back to back in that honour

Surprised they didnt compare daicos 50 games to boaks 350th. Never forget

We seem to be playing well but allowing transition play against us . Goal kicking would help , some pretty easy shots getting missed last week and this because of course apart from missing the goal they get the ball back compared to a centre bounce .
Soldo was solid again , I like the way he keeps up with the play rather than dropping right back after his co tests . A bit disappointed with Mead today , he didn’t get involved as much asi thought he would .
Burgoyne wasn’t too bad , still needs an intensity injection and some steel in his kicking foot but he got involved a bit , Boak was quite good in his 350th , still part of the link up plays . Wines was decent , his kicking might have improved a little bit , still not the best but he does the hard work and gets the ball out to the jets Rozee and Butters .
Drew was excellent, he’s become another Houston , does most things right and very mature and reliable.
Marshall was pretty good ,. Dixon and Finlayson solid , Rioli quiet . Byrne Jones good , defence generally good , I do like Williams in the team . BZT good again

That's how i run in my dreams
IF I try to run I'm in quicksand or golden syrup.

2nd half when we stopped bombing it to Charlie we were good. it's been 10 years Charlie. You can't work it out that when you stand still you don't mark it but when you lead you do? I mean FFS you can't be as dumb as you look can you?

when we're good we're fantastic. it's a pleasure to watch those 3 goals in 2 minutes passages

4 points banked I guess

yeah ken's got some physical issues going on. he probably shat his pants

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win. Best umpiring we have had for years. Loved how agitated Richmond fans were getting.

Richmond gave away some really dumb free kicks, especially in the first half. Open field two handed shoves in a marking contest. They conceded a couple of downfield free kicks when we'd effectively kicked to space and their defender had the advantage. Silly stuff from a team with a lot of premiership experience. Just making life very easy for the umps to pay.

good win. I think we missed JHF, but adapted reasonably well.

Got sucked into Richmond’s game plan in the 2nd. Would like to see us adapt better in quarters, ie our young leaders/players self adjust, rather than needing to get to a break.

feel like we are building, need to go another level, will be a cracker of a game next weekend.

Bank the early season wins- plenty of improvement needed across the board, as you would expect at the start of the season.

Potential loss of May and Lever may make the job easier against Melbourne. Can’t wait.😀

A notable feature of that game was that for once we got the benefit of the umpiring. It was 23-13 in our favour and that does not happen all that often. I thought that the umpires, with the exception of one goose goal umpire who could not tell that the ball had missed the post by 600mm, were pretty good. They picked up the obvious push in the back at the marking contests and let the game flow without blowing the whistle. They missed a few, as umpires do, but overall not too bad.

good win. I think we missed JHF, but adapted reasonably well.

Got sucked into Richmond’s game plan in the 2nd. Would like to see us adapt better in quarters, ie our young leaders/players self adjust, rather than needing to get to a break.

feel like we are building, need to go another level, will be a cracker of a game next weekend.

I think we missed Sam Powell Pepper more than JHF. Horne-Francis is a talent but he has not yet imposed himself to the the extent we must have him in the side. His time will come though. Sam Powell- Pepper on the other hand is in his prime and does the physical work at the stoppages and the packs.

Lets not forget Jed Mc Entee who was also missing. His relentless pressure on the opposition's best defender while gathering 1 solitary possession in almost three quarters of footy was sorely missed. :rolleyes:

Good teams are going to kick a truckload of goals against us on the turnover.

The number of goals West Coast and Richmond have kicked over the back is a worrying sign of things to come.

Is this a back 6 problem, or a team wide issue by pressing to high up the ground to lock the ball in?

Should we designate a sweeper type role to counteract this? Maybe someone like Bergman who has both leg speed & aerial smarts to cover the holes?

Call me crazy but that Richmond team is not that bad. Maybe on paper it has a lot of lesser names, but they still play with a lot of energy.

And playing them on the G will always be difficult since they just know how to play that ground
Yup, their energy was crazy when they are up and running. Literally, the thing I noticed the most, too, is so bouncy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back