Review Round 1, 2024 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard, you can seen the potential with Jones. He has insane explosive power, speed and agility. If he can build up the confidence and believe he belongs, you will see the fumbling go away. How long is that going to take though? However with that said, Williams is by far the better player currently.

I would be all for playing Williams in the small forward role with Willie. Now that McEntee is forced out, it is the perfect opportunity to try it. It was what he was recruited as. Even when he was extremely unfit and slow when he first came to the club, he was still a good small forward who had a great nous for the goals. He is a great mark, beautiful kick and very smart footballer. He would thrive in that role now that he is much fitter.

Jones should be played forward in a similar role to SPP.
Iā€™m pretty sure he can ā€˜pressureā€™ as well as Jed.

Those angles are totally deceiving.

Here's an experiment. Find a line on the ground and put a ball so it's 1/3 on the line and 2/3 behind the line. Now step back 5 metres and see what it looks like. It will look like the ball is wholly and obviously behind the line. But it isn't.

Was the Waterman ball out? Almost certainly. But it would've been much closer than the vision and stills make it look.

its in

4354454556.jpg

anyone got vision of that McGovern v Butters hit. looked like an obvious free but i was a long way away, but West Coast and crows supporter mates thought there was nothing in it?

Should've there also been a free kick at least to McEntee? Although it seems as though concussion is fine as long as you demonstrate it was an attempt at a mark. Not even sure it needs to be realistic.

Here's an experiment. Find a line on the ground and put a ball so it's 1/3 on the line and 2/3 behind the line. Now step back 5 metres and see what it looks like. It will look like the ball is wholly and obviously behind the line. But it isn't.

Was the Waterman ball out? Almost certainly. But it would've been much closer than the vision and stills make it look.
Look at the shadows and reassess.

If it was was an isolated incident not a lot would have been made of it, but the umpiring was a dog's breakfast for the whole game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it was hot, but
It was horrible. Twilight games at AO are a terrible idea because of the sun. Add heat to it, it is almost irresponsible by the AFL to have a game at that time.

It should have been either the second Saturday night game or the 1300 Sunday game. As the AFL was never going to give prime time to a non-Victorian game this week.

But given it was 11 days after the season started before Port or a WA team got a game or Adelaide and Perth hosted an AFL game, it tells you a lot about the priority given by the AFL to football in SA and WA.
You've obviously never been to a day of test cricket at AO when it's been hovering around 40, and not just there for a couple hours, there for multiple days.

If you were elderly, or had health issues it wasn't the ideal place for you yesterday but overall i don't actually think it was that bad. I'd have yesterdays conditions over the s**t we had in gather round last year.

Yeah it was hot, but

You've obviously never been to a day of test cricket at AO when it's been hovering around 40, and not just there for a couple hours, there for multiple days.

If you were elderly, or had health issues it wasn't the ideal place for you yesterday but overall i don't actually think it was that bad. I'd have yesterdays conditions over the s**t we had in gather round last year.

I have been, but not in the new western stand, only the riverbank. At least at the cricket you can walk around a bit and not entirely stuck in your seat.

Some of the boundary throw ins were so short the players actually stopped not knowing what to do

Farcical

Yes they were short, but the rucks were standing a fair way back.

It is a little comical when boundary throws ins are missed or called back though. Itā€™s not like the boundary umpires have any complex rule interpretations to make.

Was watching on TV - can't recall one seeming that far out in over 40 years of watching footy, live or on TV. Heat and humidity affects umps as well but that all time howler was nine minutes in, not late in the bloody last quarter.

Don't recall the game but I thought I saw an odd or unintentional precedent being set earlier in the round where (field ump?) seemed to be reviewing a score to see if a free kick was warranted instead and commentary team pointed out the implications (if that's actually what was going on). Not that it would have saved us in our case because any "tape rewind" would probably only be allowed back to the immediate contest/disposal that resulted in the score. To avoid opening a huge can of maggots, sorry worms ;)

i was listening to first half on radio and they made me think the umpires were purposefully messing with us, that's how bad their skills were, although considering the behinds we kicked maybe the umpires skills are right for the AFL's level

Some of the boundary throw ins were so short the players actually stopped not knowing what to do

Farcical
The other boundary umpire came and took over šŸ˜‚

His left foot is half a meter over the line and he's about to collect the ball in his right hand.

It's not even close to being close.

anyone got vision of that McGovern v Butters hit. looked like an obvious free but i was a long way away, but West Coast and crows supporter mates thought there was nothing in it?

Should've there also been a free kick at least to McEntee? Although it seems as though concussion is fine as long as you demonstrate it was an attempt at a mark. Not even sure it needs to be realistic.
Nothing in it. Umpire was right.

Free was for DBJ going too high in tackling McGovern.

Yeh, the whole 1/3 and 2/3 on the line may be okay in theory if the ball was anywhere actually near the line. He is closer to the line for the crapper than he is to the boundary line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back