Review Round 1, 2024 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

If anything, it was nearly a carbon copy of our win against Brisbane. 120 v 70 -> 126 v 72.

The next week we went to Melbourne and got pumped by the eventual premier. Richmond wont be a premier this year, but should still be a decent challenge with their season on the line.
That’s the real test.. a desperate Richmond, needing a first win for their
New coach.

This will test if we are any good, can we overcome a desperate side..

Historically I’d say Nup, so over to you kenny

Poor McEntee couldn’t get a stat because every time we went forward we scored. No need for ‘locking-it-in’. He’s always seemed to completely vanish on transition (I assume under instruction).

Those angles are totally deceiving.

Here's an experiment. Find a line on the ground and put a ball so it's 1/3 on the line and 2/3 behind the line. Now step back 5 metres and see what it looks like. It will look like the ball is wholly and obviously behind the line. But it isn't.

Was the Waterman ball out? Almost certainly. But it would've been much closer than the vision and stills make it look.
All you have to do is look at the players boots (way outside of the boundary line) and then look at where the ball is held in relation to that? (even further to the right)

Out by a country mile

10 Connor Rozee (PORT)
7 Zak Butters (PORT)
4 Kane Farrell (PORT)
4 Ryan Burton (PORT)
3 Ivan Soldo (PORT)
1 Charlie Dixon (PORT)
1 Jack Petruccelle (WCE)

A very few years ago I think Jim Stynes was reported for wearing a cap on a blistering hot day in Melbourne. A big fuss was made by the VFL or it could have been the AFL regarding Jim doing the sensible thing. It was not a “professional look” was their excuse.
Fester I agree with every thing you say.

From memory the issue was that he wore a fluro green cap (that opponents kept clawing at and throwing away).

The league said a club-branded cap would be ok, but given how often he was having to retrieve the one he wore, he didn’t bother again.

I remember getting a one day sick leave claim for sunburn rejected in the 90s because it was self inflicted.

Assume attending a footy game staring west as the sun tracked across your face would get similar sympathy.
I remember many years ago I had a sicky... The boss took me into his office and asked what was wrong with me...

Me "I was bleeding from my bum"

Never asked me ever again.

There are two crucial areas that we need to improve on.

Hinkley said that Soldo had 18 hit outs to advantage which was, "good for us", but I think the rucking/roving contingent need to start communicating more because for the amount of times Eevan Soldo got his hand to the ball, and given our incredible rovers, we should be getting a fair more "hit outs to advantage". It was the first game of the season and given the dearth of pre-season games against AFL sides, this division of our side will improve.

The same can be said of Jones, Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher. These three lacked communication amongst themselves and as a consequence, our backline was, by some way, not as cohesive and in sync as it was for the last couple of years. We were undersized in the back lines and lacked balance but the backline were well drilled and performed very admirably last year. This year, we have got depth and variety in the backlines. We just need to work as a well drilled unit as we did last year.

If, or more to the point, when, these two areas start functioning at their best, then we will be a real force in the AFL given the top class supporting cast.

I was pleasantly surprised at what I had seen from Zerk-Thatcher in the limited preseason and he deserved first crack. To my eye though, he seemed a bit overcome by the occasion and by the end of the game, he was mentally and physically exhausted. I think he will be alright but McKenzie and the oil painting Clurey are snapping at his heels.

One thing that did alarm me was Hinkley's admission that Dixon was not fully fit and that this was a deliberate plan by the fitness people to "get him to play more games". If this is the case, then it is foolish because when players become fatigued, the likelihood of injury increases dramatically.

I am really looking forward to this year given the recruitment of players that will significantly improve the areas of the side that desperately need improving, the depth that this has afforded us and the younger players have had another year of experience under their belt.

A Premiership is non-negotiable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are two crucial areas that we need to improve on.

Hinkley said that Soldo had 18 hit outs to advantage which was, "good for us", but I think the rucking/roving contingent need to start communicating more because for the amount of times Eevan Soldo got his hand to the ball, and given our incredible rovers, we should be getting a fair more "hit outs to advantage". It was the first game of the season and given the dearth of pre-season games against AFL sides, this division of our side will improve.
18 hit outs to advantage in a game is obscene numbers. Wheelo has Soldo at 12, which is still the second best number for any ruckman this year.

Lycett averaged 7 last year, if Soldo can keep his average up in double figures that's game changing with our midfield.

I also noticed Soldo was the highest highest rated player on the ground. I missed most of the game yesterday but sounds like he had an absolute ripper.

18 hit outs to advantage in a game is obscene numbers. Wheelo has Soldo at 12, which is still the second best number for any ruckman this year.

Lycett averaged 7 last year, if Soldo can keep his average up in double figures that's game changing with our midfield.

I also noticed Soldo was the highest highest rated player on the ground. I missed most of the game yesterday but sounds like he had an absolute ripper.
12 is from the AFL but the club might have different stats compiled by Jordan. Williams gets beat up on every week so I can believe 18.

In the pre-season, Williams v O'Brien was 15 v 169 zoopercoach points

Bonus fun fact: Teakle had 13 HTA against Williams in the Port/WC game last year (Williams had him in every other stat TBF)

The whinging about the weather lol. It was 30 degrees not 45 degrees. You lot wouldn't be able to go outside half the year if you lived in Perth.
I walk 15km in 35 degree heat at pace in Adelaide's summer. I was hotter at the footy. 30 degrees doesn't sound much but we were being baked slowly.

Yes they were short, but the rucks were standing a fair way back.

It is a little comical when boundary throws ins are missed or called back though. It’s not like the boundary umpires have any complex rule interpretations to make.
Yesterday on SEN (I think Whateley and King) were discussing this. Rucks are loathe to take front position and start too far back. 18 metres is where they're (umps) aiming apparently.

One thing that did alarm me was Hinkley's admission that Dixon was not fully fit and that this was a deliberate plan by the fitness people to "get him to play more games". If this is the case, then it is foolish because when players become fatigued, the likelihood of injury increases dramatically.

I am really looking forward to this year given the recruitment of players that will significantly improve the areas of the side that desperately need improving, the depth that this has afforded us and the younger players have had another year of experience under their belt.

A Premiership is non-negotiable.
This.

Yesterday on SEN (I think Whateley and King) were discussing this. Rucks are loathe to take front position and start too far back. 18 metres is where they're (umps) aiming apparently.
the rucks were regularly taking up position in the centre square for throw ins on the wings and half forward/back. They should just call play on even if the ball hits the deck 10 metres in front of the ruckmen. A possible solution could also be the umpires pay frees for pushing in the back when it happens in ruck contests. They do occasionally, but seem to let 90% go, then pull one out of their arse

Just watching the replay with the commentary on. Yeah, yeah I know ...

It must have been a difficult match for them to cover though. I'm not that familiar with WCE, but it seems they have 22 players all called Harley Reid. Could get confusing.

I can totally shut down commentary in English. When I focus on the game, it becomes noise. I hear only few things every now and then.

I would love to have the same power in Portuguese…

This notion that every modern player is quick is the biggest w@nk in history.
The biggest w@nk in ALL history - that's a big call on this forum. I'm just going by the time trial records. Aliir is our fastest, Lachie Jones comes in at number 3 in the squad for speed. He's a 21 year old with under 50 games and he has grunt. I have no issue with Dyl he's a beautiful kick and he makes great decisions but I'd prefer to watch our team flying through the corridor than the stop and go outside play. When we play teams like Collingwood who rely on turnovers in their front half I feel that Dyl will get caught.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back