Review Round 1, 2024 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The whinging about the weather lol. It was 30 degrees not 45 degrees. You lot wouldn't be able to go outside half the year if you lived in Perth.

We have plenty of hot days here, we don’t have too many hot and humid which is what it was yesterday.
It rained in the morning and made it very unpleasant.

And we are too smart to live in Perth.

This year lol.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The stats Janus gave weren't averages from last year v yesterday's game - they were stats from the West Coast game last year v yesterday's game against West Coast.

That's right, the well known West Coast audit to see how well your game stacks up.

I would rather win 120-70 than 80-40... Yes, we still got burnt a couple of times on the overlap but the high line will always lead to a few of those easy goals.

The biggest difference I think was with BZT and Rata coming in it really freed up Burton, Houston and Farrell to push up the ground as much as possible and use their damaging foot skills where we need them.

The stats Janus gave weren't averages from last year v yesterday's game - they were stats from the West Coast game last year v yesterday's game against West Coast.

That's right, the well known West Coast audit to see how well your game stacks up.
If anything, it was nearly a carbon copy of our win against Brisbane. 120 v 70 -> 126 v 72.

The next week we went to Melbourne and got pumped by the eventual premier. Richmond wont be a premier this year, but should still be a decent challenge with their season on the line.

Can you give an example of when this has actually happened at AFL level? I feel like he gets around this with his positioning.
Exactly right. People are saying he'd get caught out but he reads the play and positions himself correctly to not fall into that trap. Jones is an extremely dumb footballer with decent pace.

Williams every day of the week.

Exactly right. People are saying he'd get caught out but he reads the play and positions himself correctly to not fall into that trap. Jones is an extremely dumb footballer with decent pace.

Williams every day of the week.
For the record I still love Jones as a long-term prospect and would ideally like to see both out there as I think they both have decent ceilings and offer something totally different, but I'm not sure they can both fit in right now. Sticking one of them in to the forward line to take the Pep role could be very interesting.

Just got back from the game and reviewing the match day thread.

Those commenting on the huge gaps in the crowd on the eastern side need to understand how friggin' hot it was looking into the sun this afternoon. I was sweating buckets in tier 3 and no doubt most of the corporates behind me were inside the air-conditioned suites consuming bevvies rather than baking in their allocated seats.

We ended up vacating our prime seats at half time and watching the game under the Fig Tees on the hill.

I'm sure we've had hotter games at Adelaide Oval but that was as humid and uncomfortable as I can remember it since we started playing there.

Hoping against hope that was the main reason for the fumbling and piss poor disposals. (but I know it wasn't)
I sit down on ground level on the eastern side and I don’t ever recall being that hot and uncomfortable at a game before. I reckon a fair few stayed up the back after half time rather than going back to their seats too.
Maybe wishful thinking, but maybe some of the inaccurate kicking etc. was down to the conditions. The players must have been absolutely knackered by the end, I was actually surprised that they were still running up until the final siren.

It's hard, you can seen the potential with Jones. He has insane explosive power, speed and agility. If he can build up the confidence and believe he belongs, you will see the fumbling go away. How long is that going to take though? However with that said, Williams is by far the better player currently.

I would be all for playing Williams in the small forward role with Willie. Now that McEntee is forced out, it is the perfect opportunity to try it. It was what he was recruited as. Even when he was extremely unfit and slow when he first came to the club, he was still a good small forward who had a great nous for the goals. He is a great mark, beautiful kick and very smart footballer. He would thrive in that role now that he is much fitter.

It was horrible. Twilight games at AO are a terrible idea because of the sun. Add heat to it, it is almost irresponsible by the AFL to have a game at that time.

It should have been either the second Saturday night game or the 1300 Sunday game. As the AFL was never going to give prime time to a non-Victorian game this week.

But given it was 11 days after the season started before Port or a WA team got a game or Adelaide and Perth hosted an AFL game, it tells you a lot about the priority given by the AFL to football in SA and WA.
And we got the C-grade umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we got the C-grade umpires.
LOL. They weren't that good.

Some classic howlers:
1. first quarter WC goal Waterman (I think) was virtually signing autographs with the first row crowd it was that far OOB
2. Marshall spilt the relatively easy grab, virtually bounced off of his hands, and paid a mark
3. McGovern jumps in the air and elbows Butters. Thought he may have been out cold at first. Crowd want a report. McGovern gets the free kick :eek::rolleyes:
4. last quarter, Mead marks 50m out. WC player encroaches 3 metres over the mark. Crowd want 50m penalty. Ump waves them off and tells the WC player to meander back a bit. Mead plays on with a handball, we kick a goal. Ump says "No! Bring it back. Take your kick Mead". It's either 50m or a goal :mad::drunk:o_O

For those not yet aware- the St John's volunteers hand out free sunscreen to spectators at Adelaide Oval games. For those in the eastern stand they have a room in the corridor that lies just to the side of the Port merchandise stall about 30 metres north of the McIntosh bar. A big container of sunscreen placed on a table.

And a call out to eastern stand beer can bars for giving out free cups of water. Would be good if they gave out free ice as well but one step at a time.

All alcohol points of sale statewide have to by law provide free drinking water

THE GOOD

Ivan Soldo. I don't have to worry too much about the ruck anymore.
The Three Amigos
The Rozee smother in the backline
The supporting midfield - Wines, Drew, Mead.
The Amigos playing in the guts and up forward. Brings class to the forward line.
Butters hit on McGovern
Soldo standing up for Rozee I think it was.
Our great kicks are freaking great kicks.
Dixon's on fire first quarter.
Burton and Houston running from defence.
Wines in and under work.
Farrell's game.
Marshall's creativity.
Boak and Bergman on the wing. I don't have to worry about the wing anymore. Both run hard.
Boak on the wing was really good.
Mead doing some things.
Backline looking good.
The three tall backs looking good.
Ratugolea working his way late into the game.
Rioli is so smart and creative.

THE MEDIOCRE

Missed tackles
Bergman missing 3 easy goals
Dixon kicking for goal especially set shots
Dixon gassed or injured after the first quarter.
Jones fumbly. There is still a very good player in there waiting to go.
Finlayson more down than up.
Wines field kicking

THE UGLY

Jed having a quiet game and then being laid out.
The Boundary Umpire
Our poor kicking for goal.
Being a tad laconic during the game.

PLAY OF THE DAY

Early in the 3rd Quarter. Kick in from Farrell to the marking Allir, hands off to Houston who nails Marshall whoo hits the running Rozee in the pocket who drills it from a set shot.

The next goal a minute later or so was also pretty special.

Last edited:
Will have to sit down and watch the tv replay at some point. I often get a different perspective from my original thought processes.

Reading the best players in the Tiser and what some are saying here, I may be on a different page, but:

Rozee - got more ball in the first half but wasted it. His second half had less disposals, but way more effective. God 1st up for the skipper.
Butters - bit the same as Rozee. Showed more flair and was more dangerous in the 2nd half.
JHF - our best mid for mine. Didn't waste a possession. Impacted the scoreboard. Ignited the crowd. Top class.
Mead - played quite well both in the guts and up forward, despite managed minutes. Needed to nail that goal, but deserves more games.
Wines - didn't notice him much, but the stats show he got plenty of it, mostly handballs. So good we are getting him to kick it less!
Drew - good last quarter and a bit, otherwise no real impact.
Jones - ordinary.
Bergman - poor disposal, nothing to write home about.
Boak - ditto.
BZT - did a good job and ran off to create a bit too.
Alliir - typical game from AA. Flashes of brilliance, but some crazy mistakes too.
Rat - serviceable enough.
Burton - excellent last two and a bit quarters. Rebounded. Kicked better than normal.
Soldo - didn't dominate a part timer in Williams in the hit outs, but had some goals and other score involvements too. Laid some excellent tackles. Best big man on the park.
Finlayson - horrible body language. Lost all ability to kick straight. Turned his back when he took a mark 50m out when two team mates were free in the goal square. Refused to do the team thing, and shanked the shot. Nobody could deny what he and Kellie have been through, and the impact it's had, but the brutal reality is, if it's affecting his play so much, maybe he needs to take a break and get his head right for a while?
Marshall - solid game.
DBJ - sigh! Seriously. Why bother!
McEntee - great courage to cop the hit going for the mark. Kudos to him. But nearly 3 quarters into the game and one touch? Read DBJ comments!
Houston - as reliable and efficient with his disposals as ever.
Evans - had one quarter so can't comment too much.

We did as much as we needed to, to win in a canter. Not sure it told us much though, against the WC Roadkill mob. Better tests await us.

Early days and heat - sloppy skills from many players / couldn't one grab the ground balls even in perfect dry conditions / went too wide when going deep forward instead of trying to get a more central corridor position to kick at goal from / transition from defence was at pensioner's motorised gopher pace!

Sorry. Forgot two players.
Dixon - best game in years. Pity the kicking boot wasn't on of he could have had 6 or 7 goals.
Rioli - light years ahead of DBJ and McEntee as a small forward.

DBJ - sigh! Seriously. Why bother!
Rioli - light years ahead of DBJ and McEntee as a small forward.

I agree that Rioli is tons better than DBJ. But i really didn't think DBJ was that bad, nor did Rioli have a super game himself.

stats wise they had a remarkably similar game

Those angles are totally deceiving.

Here's an experiment. Find a line on the ground and put a ball so it's 1/3 on the line and 2/3 behind the line. Now step back 5 metres and see what it looks like. It will look like the ball is wholly and obviously behind the line. But it isn't.

Was the Waterman ball out? Almost certainly. But it would've been much closer than the vision and stills make it look.

Here's an experiment. Find a line on the ground and put a ball so it's 1/3 on the line and 2/3 behind the line. Now step back 5 metres and see what it looks like. It will look like the ball is wholly and obviously behind the line. But it isn't.

Was the Waterman ball out? Almost certainly. But it would've been much closer than the vision and stills make it look.

He was clearly out, I know people on the western side who saw it and said so. It wasn't even close.

The umpires on the day made a number of bad judgement calls and that was one.

The shadow is the giveaway surely. The late arvo sun is coming from the west so the shadow will be closer to the line than the player actually is, and even the shadow doesn't cross the boundary line. So clearly Waterman is completely out of bounds, and the ball is further away from the boundary than he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back