Review Round 22, 2023 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Nearly every player played at least serviceable which is rare.

Jonas finally did well too which was unexpected, albeit not that much pressure.

Hornet was great! Butters and Rozee are close to the best 1-2 mid combo in the league imo.

Their kicking is just unreal and elite evasive skills.

Bit of a frustrating game. Even though we dominated field play in the last half we only managed 11.3 to 9.5. Leaking easy goals like we did will absolutely kill us in finals, and given our defence was only missing McKenzie there has to be structural issues at play.

Given we scored our second highest score of the year, it just feels a bit like 2017 when our press was too high: we generate a bunch of repeat i50s but just leak like a sieve defensively.

Still, top 4 basically locked, so have some time to make those fine tweaks for finals

Butters - said in the game day thread, basicallly a walking Konami code when he’s in that mood. Game breaker.

Rozee - consistently high level, and you just can’t tackle him. Never seen a player more busy on their feet

Wines - starting to build, and at the right time of year

Drew - burnt a bit on the outside, but his work inside in brilliant. Few nice moments in defence too.

Aliir - not looking quite as confident with his marking as he used to but still solid as a rock in defence

Bergman - started on fire and then faded. Not a lot of impact after QT

JHF - got caught out a few times where he chose to run forward too early but just a star with ball in hand. Super effort to get 3 goals. The third goal was chef finger kiss

Rioli - lively up forward, felt like he should have kicked a few more. Really like that he gets involved up the ground too

Houston - not a starring effort but did nothing wrong and a nice goal in the last

Finlayson - got into some nice positions but still too weak in the contest and had some shocking attempts at goal

Hayes - the best tap ruck we’ve had since Ryder’s prime and had a few good moments floating in defence too. Absolutely do not get why he’s not our first choice ruck

Marshall - snuck in behind their defence really well for a few nice marks and goals

Williams - so calm and composed. Could be a real player. Would love to see him him roll up the ground a little more though

Jones - could have been tidier offensively, as always, but some real nice moments in defence. Love that he back himself for a mark instead of auto-spoil

Jonas - was ok, Hogan’s only goal came from a mark that Jonas had clearly spoiled. Still offers nothing but defensive coverage

DBJ - absolutely horrendous first quarter but was busy enough to cause their defence headaches and capitalised on team work for some nice goals

Burton - not a starting effort but didn’t really do anything wrong defensively which is all you can ask for

Duursma - no impact offensively or defensively. Just not providing a good option when we have the ball. Loved his first two years but he’s borderline delisting material these days

Farrell - just broke even. Played a bit too lose and burnt us but was ok a few times with forward entries

Lord - invisible, even for a young KPF, needs to get involved more

McEntee - just sucks. Absolutely no impact at all. Guess he at least kicked a goal

Evans - not much TOG but felt he had more forward impact than McEntee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely ELECTRIC game. Absolutely dont want to miss this one! Season defining, era defining even. So proud of this club. Back against the wall they shoved it right up em!

I got JHF for 3 goals 😃😃😃

Fin is a very frustrating player

Jhf Connor and Butters is worth the sacrifice of 2007 onwards.

I think Dan Houston is a sneaky chance of finishing top 5-7 in brownlow votes.

What's our winning % when Boak has not been in the team during his career...I would guess 100%????

Midfield is better without boak
Champions deserve to be talked about respectfully.
Boak more than most.

Please don't ever forget the decisions he has made to support this club and his efforts to train both himself and others to be at their best.
I would love to see him have a role at the club for another 20 years once he ticks off the 350 games.

Congratulations on the 4 points Port, on the top 4 finish and on the worst kept secret of the coaching mentorship.
An absolute win/win in my book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back