Review Round 22, 2023 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to be cruel but I remember Jed McEntee was standing next to Rozee and Connor decided a Hail Mary overhead kick was a better option than giving it to Jed. Soz Jed. :p

That goal, Wines to Rozee, lace out to Butters, handballed to JHF for a running goal was silk. You'd be hard pressed to find a chain of play that included more talent.

THE GOOD

We beat them without raising a sweat.
Rozee playing a fantastic game.
Wines on the bottom of packs and looking to have real power back in his game. Very good game.
Hayes against Keeffe.
Rozee, Butters and the Hornet combining well.
Aliir back in defence
The small forwards applying huge amount of pressure unlike last week.
Rioli bobbing up and working his butt off.
Powell-Pepper's 3rd Quarter. He corallled a Giant in the centre sqaure and it was magic running.
Williams tight as.
Jones-Byrne was good early. Still tries to do too much but it is better than nothing.
Straight kicking overall.
Houston and Burton running unmolested down the guts. That won't happen with good teams.
The Hornet is starting to find the flow of the game.
I think Rucciuto is pretty fair and nice when it comes to us.

THE MEDIOCRE

Hayes playing injured. Have a durry on me.
I'm still worried and moving towards very worried about Duursma.
One awesome quarter and then crickets by Bergman.
Jonas, Jones and Farrell steady enough.
We didn't miss Boak, Dixon or Lycett but it was an underwhelming game.
Marshall and Finlayson were good and should probably be in limbo between mediocre and good. Both battled on.
The Hornet and Butters trying too much.

THE UGLY

I thought a really ugly game. Yes, we killed them but they gave us more space than the Kessel Run.
It was almost like an NBA All-Star Game. Zero defence and care.
The Giants actually played like us when we are not on our game. They just didn't turn up. Maybe they were scared of us.
The Giants couldn't grab a contested mark to save their lives.
Hayes against Briggs.
McEntee doing jack.
Lord missing all game.
Powell-Pepper wrapping up Ward perfectly in a tackle and getting a crap umpiring decision.

I’m sure someone has already said this but Duursma runs like Phil Gallagher. Now that he’s bulked up it is even more pronounced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win in a pretty sexy guernsey.

The midfield was brilliant. Rozee and Butters are leading the charge with this team massively. Even in our losses those two have barely put a foot wrong, and you can see just see how much they're driving it. And Horny wants to be a part of it.

And great to see the return of Ollie Wines, that's exactly what we need from him each week from here on in.

Was that the one where he feigned a handball and the Giants swapped players on the mark?

They reinterpreted the stand rule so if you fake a handball and the man on the mark moves it's not 50. But he didn't just move, they swapped men on the mark. They absolutely ran over the rule with a Humvee and the umpire let it go.

In the end didn't matter because Marshall marked the kick and goaled, but it was another instance where the rules are interpreted differently for us.

Like push in the back by and against Aliir.
I think that was the one.
Inconsequential in the game but it shows the frustration building in otherwise cool headed players. Their sense of justice & fair play is being tested.
On a good note Jhf was finally paid a free for high contact/ tackled when not in possession late in the game.
Another good note was Hayes, good game from an underexposed injured player on a good opponent.
Watching Dante last week & Hayes this week I can conclude our ruck stocks are fine, just baffled as to why Lycett was played whilst injured/ out of form & why the hell teakle got games ahead of Hayes/ Dante?

Special mention to the much maligned DBJ. It was far from perfect (that holding the ball was bad) but i thought it was a pretty good game from him overall.
Not overall. He was shocking in the first.

To his credit he worked back into it though.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m sure someone has already said this but Duursma runs like Phil Gallagher. Now that he’s bulked up it is even more pronounced.

Has to practice running backwards now.

Special mention to the much maligned DBJ. It was far from perfect (that holding the ball was bad) but i thought it was a pretty good game from him overall.
That was funny. 20,000 people yell kick it/man on and he's like - wait what? - crunch tackled from behind - HTB

That was funny. 20,000 people yell kick it/man on and he's like - wait what? - crunch tackled from behind - HTB

That was literally right in front of me. I have no idea how he couldn't hear the crowd letting him know someone was behind him. It was baffling.

That was literally right in front of me. I have no idea how he couldn't hear the crowd letting him know someone was behind him. It was baffling.
Almost in front of me too. Could see it happen in slow motion.

But my first thought was why close players didn't wake him up.

Humorous in hindsight, after a win.

Not to mention Rozee's sidewards-backwards kick to the 50m arc from the boundary.
Who would even think to attempt that, let alone pull it off?
I reckon that I remember Chad Cornes kicking a goal with a kick like that in the early 2000's.

Great win. Should have put them to the sword and gained a much needed percentage boost. Overall plenty to like and not much to dislike. Except the mouthguard worn by JHF. Looked suspiciously like a nord melby colour scheme.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back