Review Round 10, 2023 vs Narrm

Remove this Banner Ad

It was great to get the win last night, but ....

Naarm kicked six (?) unanswered goals in a row.

Butters had an amazing, best-ever game, and we still only won by 4 points.

Are we papering over the cracks a bit?

Not getting into the whole Hinkley thing, I think people can give it a rest after such a powerhouse win. Come from 3 goals down late in third with an undermanned side to win against a top ranked side in the rain with a dominant last quarter.
Well said.

Here's a suggestion. How about a specific thread where people can vent their frustration with Hinkley specifically even after a brilliant win.

Err...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... That said, I didn't think Melbourne played poorly last night. It was a high intensity game from start to finish ....
I thought Melbourne played really well whenever we took our foot off the accelerator. It was fun to watch on a level disassociated with the normal wish to win. It was interesting listening to Goodwin's post-match because he did talk more about the coaching moves and momentum swings.

Zak Butters is now the alpha dog in the competition

Enjoy it

Fix yourself a cup of tea

Take a nice walk out in the sun
Have now done all 3 things on the list. Although my wife made the cuppa because I was in the garden. 1950s Australia in our house this morning, well except for the computer.

I watched the replay late last night after the game and it seemed like he was in everything. Some bone crunching tackles at crucial moments too. Haven’t looked at the stats but I reckon he’d be up there for number of tackles.

Jonas had a pretty important tackle in the last few minutes as well. A captain’s tackle is as important as a captain’s goal, for a defender.

Jonas beat McDonald like an egg. His first goal came from a jumper pull all 4 umpires couldn't or wouldn't see, his second from a bad turnover.

If you had said that last sentence any other time this year I’d have told you to up the meds foot falcon

That shhhhh thing really gave me the 💩s. Dodgy free kick and goal after doing bugger all the whole night. Cocky w***er, should have been embarrassed not a smart arse.

You can simultaneously enjoy the win and want Hinkley sacked.

It's like walking and chewing gum at the same time.
I want to win every game. I want to be sitting there on the last day in September watching Hinkley say Cookbook you were wrong. I will enjoy that like you wouldn't believe.

Regardless, whether Hinkley is here or not our future is going to be defined by the kids we have developing in front of our eyes. I can enjoy that, revel in that, regardless of my thoughts on Hinkley.

Lastly wanting Hinkley sacked is not because I think he's a s**t coach, it's because I think he is good, not great, and will fail to win a flag. I don't wish him ill, I don't wish our club to fail just because of him. I'd just like to see our board had more gumption, made the right calls and had the courage to actually try to win that flag. None of that takes away from a win like last night.

We've also failed in these big time games, time after time, so it's nice to win one. But ultimately to see the boys give us a tease is nice, but they've got to make this the regular.

It was great to get the win last night, but ....

Naarm kicked six (?) unanswered goals in a row.

Butters had an amazing, best-ever game, and we still only won by 4 points.

Are we papering over the cracks a bit?
You're right. We beat Melbourne with out 3.5 first choice forwards, a first choice winger, Boak subbed out around half time and McKenzie missing the last quarter to make it 7 in a row.
I just can't enjoy such mediocrity.

I think the Hinkley talk should really go to the Sack Hinkley thread, of which there are plenty.
It doesn’t belong on here either last night or today after that game. Just ENJOY THE WIN, and HOW we WON.
It was fast tough, often skilful Port Adelaide footy. We never gave up, they didn’t tear us apart and I will remember this performance fondly. Don’t contaminate the thread.

You're right. We beat Melbourne with out 3.5 first choice forwards, a first choice winger, Boak subbed out around half time and McKenzie missing the last quarter to make it 7 in a row.
I just can't enjoy such mediocrity.
Why the ironic tone? I think it's a very fair question to ask.

And I don't know about you, but I NEVER want to see a run of six unanswered goals. Most times you won't survive that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back