Review Round 11, 2023 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of Zak's efforts and desperation today - my captain. 😍

He's not perfect, but it's good to have Lycett back after the Teakle experiment. He's made us stronger in the middle.

Aliir and McKenzie absolute rocks. Everyone else solid without being great. Special mention to McEntee, not a massive game but I respect his forward half hustle.

Something seems different this year to 2020-2021. The wins are more enjoyable. Back then we won games, but it felt so underwhelming.. we'd beat ordinary teams and then cruise or let them back in.

And maybe it's the fact that it's the young players doing it this time. Or that we're actually winning crucial moments. Feels a bit like 2014 when Chad was god mode, only this time we have butters, rozee and jhf...

Our forward line is genuine crap with finny spraying them, frank the tank, Mac and cheese, lord and Rioli... Yet we keep winning anyway!
And the forward line will improve when Marshall and Dixon come back in. There is no way if we had the outs we currently do we would have won in 2020-21. There is far more maturity and vibrancy in this team.

On behalf of the decent Richmond supporters out there, apologies for the treatment of JHF. Absolutely embarrassing stuff from our fans.
Meh, most of us are over it. I find it kind of funny when I hear the boos, the more I hear them it tells me he's playing well.

I think he is still playing with a knee niggle
He will never find that form again.. hes not in our number 1 midfield anymore.. he’s a bit part player now..

Him moving out of the middle has actually improved our side with quality clearances and effective ball use.

Some of Zak's efforts and desperation today - my captain. 😍

He's not perfect, but it's good to have Lycett back after the Teakle experiment. He's made us stronger in the middle.

Aliir and McKenzie absolute rocks. Everyone else solid without being great. Special mention to McEntee, not a massive game but I respect his forward half hustle.
Not enough is spoken of McKenzie, might just about be out most important backman.. just rock solid playing undersized. He’s desperate and courageous and plays under duress. the difference between him and Clurey is immeasurable

Zak sublime again. Nice to see Wines and Lycett building.

But gee our poor conversation will cost us sooner or later. Feels like we easily win the inside 50 count every week but not making the most of our territory dominance.

Are we the only team to have played all the current top 8 sides so far?

Our dominance of the forward half also means the opposition flood all their numbers back because we’re owning that zone. Making it harder to score. It’s why we need to continue to drop the eyes and hit the leading target rather than bombing it. Today we went back to bomb it long

He will never find that form again.. hes not in our number 1 midfield anymore.. he’s a bit part player now..

Him moving out of the middle has actually improved our side with quality clearances and effective ball use.
He doesn't have to find that form again, he just needs to get back to being the pure in and under shovel that can dish out handballs to better equipped players.

Good signs, love nothing more than seeing him plant himself around the ball, absorb contact, and give it off to a Houston or Farrell which happened a number of times today. If he can keep bobbing up for a scrappy stoppage goal then he is well and truly lifting his weight.

Gee that was disappointing as a game. We played absolutely shithouse. 15mins of good footy and an opponent who were inept got us the win.

And in the end, the ladder doesn’t give a s**t. It doesn’t care if the wins were earned in good form or s**t, or your opponent was s**t, 4 points is what matters. And we got it and get to move on.

What will matter is who is the real port when it gets to the pointy end. We will have to wait until then to see but we’re 9 wins up halfway through the season. We’re going to get the chance to find out.

As for the game.

Butters holy hell. I haven’t seen that kind of arrogance from a player since I don’t know when. He’s unreal at the moment. What he is doing is some of the best football I can remember seeing. This is to me, the kind of footy that builds legends.

Also, he’s announced himself as the front runner for our next captain imo.

I thought I lot of our players wavered from poor to mediocre to moments of alright during the game. Mostly forgettable for them.

But one guy deserves a big wrap and that’s Farrell. That game was huge from him, and not because of his ball use which we know and love but because his intensity at the contest was leagues above nearly everyone out there bar butters today. Like galaxies above.

Thought lord competed well. He’s a guy getting most of what he has out of the talent he has. He’s not half as talented as the Todd’s and Georgiades but the games very simple when you focus on getting the simple things right. He will make way when players come back but it’s great to know he can do a job.

We really need wines to get back to some semblance of the player he was at some stage in the season.

Moving burton around has really thrown the usually reliable player off his game. Round 1 was elite and since then we’ve thrown him around and just made a mess of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t pretty but a another solid win. And we were challenged once again and under the pump at 3/4 time but finished strongly.

Many of us were worried about this game so to get the win and now sit a game clear in the top 2 is a great result. 2 games clear of 4th too. We are actually in this season up to our eyeballs.

Butters rozee and jhf great again. Backline solid. Goal kicking an issue. Forward line dysfunctional and missing key parts but created enough chances to get the W.

And bad luck Huddo, embarrassing barracking against Port again. I used to like him as a commentator too, but this game and the Essendon game he hasn’t been able to hide who he wants to win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richmond made that ugly. Our games against them are always awful slogs. Good to get the win.

Something this season has absolutely changed in the way we're coached...players getting thrown around the field every game. In years gone past we never moved guys forward or back other than whoever our designated swing man / outnumber guy was.

I don't pretend to know who is making that happen, but it's ******* refreshing.

Or maybe not. It’s frustrating how quickly Crows have bounced back from their wooden spoon but it sure highlights the underperforming of teams like Carlton Saints and Norf over recent years
Umm, Adelaide has missed finals for as long as Port did from 2008-2013. They haven’t bounced back fast at all.

The inexplicable booing of Jason Horne-Francis was an absolute disgrace. On a day on which the Richmond Football Club should have honored the efforts of Damien Hardwick a significant number of Richmond supporters bought shame on their club. Hopefully the RFC will do the honorable thing and condemn this unsporting behaviour.

Maybe it was the MCG acoustics and the larger Richmond crowd but I thought the booing was louder and more prolonged than last week. Time for the AFL to act on this issue.
Do you go to the footy? There’s lots of idiots at the footy. There were even people still booing Bergman in the bay I was sitting in and were put straight more than once. That’s how ***** dumb some people are at the footy.

Just noticed that we had only 39 tackles today - just like we did on the MCG in round 2 against the Pies. Maybe it's an indication of how far ahead of Richmond Collingwood is, that the Tigers couldn't hurt us as much as the Pies did.
The wide boundaries seemingly isn’t suiting our pressure game.

Richmond made that ugly. Our games against them are always awful slogs. Good to get the win.

Something this season has absolutely changed in the way we're coached...players getting thrown around the field every game. In years gone past we never moved guys forward or back other than whoever our designated swing man / outnumber guy was.

I don't pretend to know who is making that happen, but it's ******* refreshing.
The penny seems to have dropped now with the players - it's taken a bloody long time but they now understand they play for Port and the loss to the filth early on was the kick in the head they needed.

The players are now capable of playing in multiple positions because, well, they are now capable of doing so and the addition of Horne-Francis has made a massive, massive difference to the side and allowed for a hell of a lot more flexibility.

We also have found Lord and Mead has grown up and McEntee ain't pretty but he is really effective. Houston is now a dinkum AFL player whereas before he'd go missing, Rioli is staring to get warm. Farrell is also a dinkum AFL player now. He used to do the hard things really well but he was 50/50 with the easy things, now he's just about 100%. Bergman is fit and is a cracking player, Dylan Williams has a real sense and feel for the game which if he didn't have, he'd be too slow.

Willem Drew is still only 24 and people forget that he had played in three senior premierships with the Koroit Football Club by the time he was 18 and if anyone knows what country football in Victoria is like, they will know that that is a BIIIG deal because the men that play out in those areas are usually big lumps and vicious.

Butters is now fit of course and that is a huge, huge plus.

To put it simply, we now have depth but not just in numbers but in quality also and there are others who will continue to mature and develop. I like Pasini and Hayes is getting around the ground a lot better as his body matures. He is an adolescent in ruck terms at twenty three and he is, to my mind, the best tap ruckman we have at the club - he's just got to be able to run hard and do it for the whole game but that will come. I'm also a real fan of Visentini who is going to be very, very good for us I reckon.

Jase Burgoyne has shown real good signs and he's only 19 years old who also needs to mature body-wise but you can just tell, he is a natural football player.

I hope Mitch Georgiades comes back without having the weight of the world on his shoulders and starts to really enjoy himself. It's all well and good to be serious but it's debilitating being constantly worried. I hope he takes a leaf out of Boaky's book and has fun. He's only 21 for heavens sake!

Teakle's forte will be in the forward lines and did an OK job in very trying circumstances. In the 4 games he played this year, we didn't lose any of them.

Yep, we now have depth in quality with more to come but most importantly, MOST importantly, they are playing like Port Adelaide players and making sacrifices for the their club and team mates.

8 in a row 💪🏻

Pretty terrible after quarter time but we still managed to get the job done again! We had no Dixon, Marshall or Boak but that still wasn’t a problem against a highly motivated opposition at their home ground.

Butters clear best on for us again?

It’s the second time under Hinkley that we win 8 in a row. It’s his record. So, we may break it next weekend.

I have no idea what’s the club record (both in AFL and in history).

It’s the second time under Hinkley that we win 8 in a row. It’s his record. So, we may break it next weekend.

I have no idea what’s the club record (both in AFL and in history).
8 is our club record in the AFL era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back