Review Round 11, 2023 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Jay Schulz has offered to mentor our forwards. As for general field kicking Choco did wonders when at Richmond.

IIRC he's got a short book on it, complete with specially marked footies. I look at Wal's kicking after all these years

and shake my head. I'd have thought personal pride and due diligence to your chosen career would've fixed faults.

Yep we won but sheesh we're hard to watch at times.
I’ve done a few session with kicking dynamics through my local club. They are great. Our tall forwards seem to do the opposite of what KD teach. Bent legs, leaning back, not following through straight at the target. Surely we have someone working on this stuff.
You look at Finlayson kick for goal he leans so far back I think he’s about to have a lay down.

I enjoyed watching the game on replay as even though it was close, the lads seem to keep an even keel.
The right people bobbed up at the right time.
I think the difference between our best and worst depends on who is kicking into the F50.
It was weird that Butters and Wines didn't start. Seems a bit cutesy.
The magnets were thrown around a bit too much for my liking but not the worst thing ever.
Richmond were well coached throughout the game.
Both teams were fumbly and seemed 10% off and both field kicking and kicking for goal was plenty off.

We won the free kick count away from home against a Victorian team so that is novel.
39 tackles to Richmond's 57 is a bit underwhelming.
And only 11 i50 tackles I would assume is a bit under our average.
We also lost the one percenters by a fair margin. 78 to 57 is not the best.
So a lot of pressure stats seem a bit down for us. Lucky we have a skilled midfield and are playing well overall.
Considering we have 3 key forwards out, especially Dixon, we have done well.

Butters - excellent once again. What can you say? Might not pick up the 10 coaches votes as Taranto played well but a great all round game. The attack on the ball in the last running back to defensive 50 was stunning.
Rozee - another good quiet high disposal game.
Horne-Francis - a very good game, had a couple of bad turnovers in the back half, always looking for it, kicking has highest standard deviation of any player. I don't know when but he will take over a game.
Wines - good game without too much fanfare. A bit too much bombing into F50 for me.
Drew - a bit quiet but still working defensively. 10 possies is not enough though.
Lycett - a really good game against Nankervis. Topped clearances and battled well. Broke even or beat Nankervis.
Bonner - he was ok. Typical game of his on the wing. A bit vanilla.
Mead - a bit quiet. Hasn't taken a game on yet.

Houston - I couldn't get him in the votes but he is having a strong year. Did some great spoils late. He doesn't have midfield craft at the stoppage, he could improve on that. If he gets the ball at stoppage, he usually launches it 50 and not much else. Good game overall.
Farrell - very good and surprising game from Farrell. Would love to see him put on some muscle.
McKenzie - in everything. Marking with supreme power early.
Aliir - a touch fumbly like most but recovered well and I don't remember him being beat the whole day. Stalwart. The massive glove tape is a worry.
Williams - almost made the votes. Some things he does are just amazing and amazingly laconic. Good marking and strong kicking as usual. There was a kick late in the 3rd, early in the 3rd that was a sublime kick to Bergman who should have gobbled up the mark. Next play was a Drew stoppage goal but he sometimes kicks and it just does so much, almost in an unexpected way.
Burton - didn't play great except for the soccer goal. Seems a bit down or maybe a bit unsettled.
Jones - well, there was some serious potential dripping off Lachie Jones during this game. Equal 10 intercepts with Aliir. Strong marking. Working hard to get the ball. When Jonas retires, Lachie's number has to be called up. Will need to improve his kicking though. Will give us a bit more run off half-back when he gets his confidence up.
Bergman - a bit fumbly and playing many different roles. Decent game.

Finlayson - another very good game except for kicking for goals. His kicking into F50 is usually of a high standard.
Byrne-Jones - good game. Did enough.
Rioli - a bit quiet. I really didn't like that kick off the ground into Lycett in the last quarter. Pick the damn ball up and kick a goal.
McEntee - pretty good game. Doing enough. In amongst it.
Lord - I think I really like him because he's a tall forward if you know what I mean. He just knows how to play as a tall forward. Kicked another late goal which was a pretty good ping. Does a lot of one percenters that really help out.
Evans - quiet but on the field late
Powell-Pepper - good game but not quite his usual best but always floating around.

I read that we have the hardest draw for the rest of the year so here's hoping we nail the Hawks next week.

Edit - I also forgot to say that our forward leading up was diabolical especially when we have Butters or the Hornet running free. Can't we just have a big bloke run towards the ball carrier and make it on his chest 35 metres out.

Last edited:

Nah, I'd take a beautiful loss against a great team in a fantastic game of footy.

Oh My God What GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

200.gif

Nope, Port's bye comes after that in round 15.

Round 11- Sunday 28/5 vs. Richmond
Round 12 - Saturday 3/6 vs Hawthorn
Round 13 - Friday 9/6 vs. Western Bulldogs
Round 14 - Thursday 15/6 vs. Geelong
Round 15 - Bye

Three consecutive six-day breaks.
Has happened a few times over the last few years ignoring 2020 covid shortened year where they squeezed in rounds to get the games played.

We usually get home games in this mid season winter period to protect Vic crowds.

I enjoyed watching the game on replay as even though it was close, the lads seem to keep an even keel.
The right people bobbed up at the right time.
I think the difference between our best and worst depends on who is kicking into the F50.
It was weird that Butters and Wines didn't start. Seems a bit cutesy.
The magnets were thrown around a bit too much for my liking but not the worst thing ever.
Richmond were well coached throughout the game.
Both teams were fumbly and seemed 10% off and both field kicking and kicking for goal was plenty off.

We won the free kick count away from home against a Victorian team so that is novel.
39 tackles to Richmond's 57 is a bit underwhelming.
And only 11 i50 tackles I would assume is a bit under our average.
We also lost the one percenters by a fair margin. 78 to 57 is not the best.
So a lot of pressure stats seem a bit down for us. Lucky we have a skilled midfield and are playing well overall.
Considering we have 3 key forwards out, especially Dixon, we have done well.

Butters - excellent once again. What can you say? Might not pick up the 10 coaches votes as Taranto played well but a great all round game. The attack on the ball in the last running back to defensive 50 was stunning.
Rozee - another good quiet high disposal game.
Horne-Francis - a very good game, had a couple of bad turnovers in the back half, always looking for it, kicking has highest standard deviation of any player. I don't know when but he will take over a game.
Wines - good game without too much fanfare. A bit too much bombing into F50 for me.
Drew - a bit quiet but still working defensively. 10 possies is not enough though.
Lycett - a really good game against Nankervis. Topped clearances and battled well. Broke even or beat Nankervis.
Bonner - he was ok. Typical game of his on the wing. A bit vanilla.
Mead - a bit quiet. Hasn't taken a game on yet.

Houston - I couldn't get him in the votes but he is having a strong year. Did some great spoils late. He doesn't have midfield craft at the stoppage, he could improve on that. If he gets the ball at stoppage, he usually launches it 50 and not much else. Good game overall.
Farrell - very good and surprising game from Farrell. Would love to see him put on some muscle.
McKenzie - in everything. Marking with supreme power early.
Aliir - a touch fumbly like most but recovered well and I don't remember him being beat the whole day. Stalwart. The massive glove tape is a worry.
Williams - almost made the votes. Some things he does are just amazing and amazingly laconic. Good marking and strong kicking as usual. There was a kick late in the 3rd, early in the 3rd that was a sublime kick to Bergman who should have gobbled up the mark. Next play was a Drew stoppage goal but he sometimes kicks and it just does so much, almost in an unexpected way.
Burton - didn't play great except for the soccer goal. Seems a bit down or maybe a bit unsettled.
Jones - well, there was some serious potential dripping off Lachie Jones during this game. Equal 10 intercepts with Aliir. Strong marking. Working hard to get the ball. When Jonas retires, Lachie's number has to be called up. Will need to improve his kicking though. Will give us a bit more run off half-back when he gets his confidence up.
Bergman - a bit fumbly and playing many different roles. Decent game.

Finlayson - another very good game except for kicking for goals. His kicking into F50 is usually of a high standard.
Byrne-Jones - good game. Did enough.
Rioli - a bit quiet. I really didn't like that kick off the ground into Lycett in the last quarter. Pick the damn ball up and kick a goal.
McEntee - pretty good game. Doing enough. In amongst it.
Lord - I think I really like him because he's a tall forward if you know what I mean. He just knows how to play as a tall forward. Kicked another late goal which was a pretty good ping. Does a lot of one percenters that really help out.
Evans - quiet but on the field late
Powell-Pepper - good game but not quite his usual best but always floating around.

I read that we have the hardest draw for the rest of the year so here's hoping we nail the Hawks next week.

Edit - I also forgot to say that our forward leading up was diabolical especially when we have Butters or the Hornet running free. Can't we just have a big bloke run towards the ball carrier and make it on his chest 35 metres out.

The Butters thing not starting was about throwing the tag Richmond had planned.

Bergman going forward stopped Grimes who was an issue for us. Grimes was very good before Bergman picked him up.

The umpiring in Last nights game between Gold Coast and the bulldogs was a disgrace.
The umpires did everything they could to get the bulldogs across the line
And now the poor Suns have to face the other darling of the umpires - the Crows. Hopefully there's an overcompensation this week, and it's 30-12 in Gold Coast's favour.

The umpiring in Last nights game between Gold Coast and the bulldogs was a disgrace.
The umpires did everything they could to get the bulldogs across the line
I reckon the Suns got robbed in the last few minutes of their game against Melbourne too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just managed to watch the replay tonight. As in "only just managed"... good Lord, that bloody Vic-commentary, and while 100% sober. No wonder I prefer the game live or at the pub moderated/lubricated/distracted by multiple beers. Won't be repeating that viewing experience for a while if I can help it.

A struggle overall. I mean the game, not just me at home. We struggled to kick goals from entry after entry, they struggled to get inside 50. Butters simply awesome, Lycett just threw himself in all day, hope he can keep that up without cracking. Farrell good in those conditions. Got over the line but speaking of cracks our jack of all tradies Bergman and Burton are filling in more gaps than a Bunnings full of polyfilla... We got 50/50 frees! I'm shocked. Lots going right for us at the moment, you have to be able to win ugly as they say but it also feels like we're just one more injury away from a wall falling in.

The inexplicable booing of Jason Horne-Francis was an absolute disgrace. On a day on which the Richmond Football Club should have honored the efforts of Damien Hardwick a significant number of Richmond supporters bought shame on their club. Hopefully the RFC will do the honorable thing and condemn this unsporting behaviour.

Maybe it was the MCG acoustics and the larger Richmond crowd but I thought the booing was louder and more prolonged than last week. Time for the AFL to act on this issue.
Is this judged based on being at the ground or tv coverage? Cause I didn't notice it at all at the game and it was a pretty poor crowd of 30k

Is this judged based on being at the ground or tv coverage? Cause I didn't notice it at all at the game and it was a pretty poor crowd of 30k

I could hear some on the replay, especially when he was lining up for goal. Maybe more of it as the game went on? JHF gets a free for high contact at one point and that seems to start a few sheep bleating in protest.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

The Butters thing not starting was about throwing the tag Richmond had planned.

Bergman going forward stopped Grimes who was an issue for us. Grimes was very good before Bergman picked him up.

I really don't like Butters starting on the bench to throw a tag. This is a player who has been the best player in the comp in the last month and we are worried about a tag. A tag is inevitable and Buttski will have to deal with it. It shows once again, whether it was Hinkley or Carr, a negative mindset. If Butters gets tagged, then Rozee or the Hornet are free.

As for Bergman, yeah he seems to be guy for the cleanup in Aisle 3. You just plug him in anywhere and he does his job. He is just a footballer. He is growing into something special.

I really don't like Butters starting on the bench to throw a tag. This is a player who has been the best player in the comp in the last month and we are worried about a tag. A tag is inevitable and Buttski will have to deal with it. It shows once again, whether it was Hinkley or Carr, a negative mindset. If Butters gets tagged, then Rozee or the Hornet are free.

As for Bergman, yeah he seems to be guy for the cleanup in Aisle 3. You just plug him in anywhere and he does his job. He is just a footballer. He is growing into something special.

Reminded me of Choco's too-clever Nick Stevens move in the 2002 QF. Shoved him up forward in the goalsquare to mess with the expected midfield tag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back