Hall of fame for Dustin Fletcher?

I have absolutely no issue with him being inducted when his time comes. What happened in his final 2-3 years shouldn't affect what he achieved in the previous 496 years.
Jobe's Brownlow is the bigger issue.

Very difficult question. Based on his career, performance, longevity etc, you would say yes.

But now he is a convicted drug cheat and have we ever seen a convicted drug cheat in their respective sport's hall of fame. As tough as it might seem, the answer has to be no, surely.

He deserves it, regardless of the stain of the last few seasons. A player surviving in this league for that long? We won't be seeing that again for a LONG time, if ever at all (Harvey the current obvious exception).

considering the AFL didn't want to punish the players in any way, after the year is up I can't see the drug scandal getting in the way of anything football related in the future.

he'll make it, and you guys will have to deal with the fact that his 400 will remain. No one ever says Shane Warne - 708* do they?
This. It's clear the AFL want to sweep it under the carpet.

Very difficult question. Based on his career, performance, longevity etc, you would say yes.

But now he is a convicted drug cheat and have we ever seen a convicted drug cheat in their respective sport's hall of fame. As tough as it might seem, the answer has to be no, surely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/s...ame-has-always-made-room-for-infamy.html?_r=0

Baseball have a couple. Albeit non-performance enhancing.

Barry Bonds nor Roger Clemons have yet to be included into the HoF

He deserves it, regardless of the stain of the last few seasons. A player surviving in this league for that long? We won't be seeing that again for a LONG time, if ever at all (Harvey the current obvious exception).

7 players can hit 300 this year. One can hit 350.

Cant imagine Burgoyne or Mitchell lasting another 5 years to get to 400.

Bob Murphy may actually keep playing forever.

Why exactly would he be in there, drug cheating or no drug cheating?

Longevity.

Sweet, John Blakey is a lock.

Consistency.

Another tick for JB.

Premiership success.

BLakey again

Performance at International Rules, where even after retirement he was called in to be the goalkeeper.

I thought it was the AFL Hall of Fame, not the international rules hall of fame.

Fletcher was top notch for about a third of his career. He should have pensioned off 100 games before he was nursed to 400.

He was a good player, great on his day, an certainly a great of HoFer of the Essendon Club, but he's nowhere near the standard of AFL HoF.

If he gets in, then Mick Martyn is a lock.

i suppose it raises another question. Why would a champion player who has starred without the assistance of peds for nearly 2 decades suddenly decide they were worth a try in the twilight of his amazing career?

Dunno but he did.

Maybe he felt he was getting too old and needed a boost?

Ultimately he cheated though.

No way they can have Fletcher in there unless Cousins gets in there first. Cousins was a far better player and any tainted play due to benefits of coke were incidental to him being a code addict, rather than deliberately and systematically cheating.

TLDR; no way he should get in. But he will be in as soon as the minimum time period is up. Because the AFL do whatever they want.

393*. Suspension was backdated after all.
Look. I love Fletch. I'm just so sad that * will go along side his 400. Really disappointed for him. He'd absolutely make the bombers HoF, and achieve Legend status with them, I'm not sure about achieving either in the AFL. I was so hoping he'd told them to bugger off when it came to this doping regime.

i suppose it raises another question. Why would a champion player who has starred without the assistance of peds for nearly 2 decades suddenly decide they were worth a try in the twilight of his amazing career?
Why would an Essendon supporter suggest he was cheating before this? Do you really want to open that can of worms?

Back