Science/Environment Hands up if you were sceptical about the Zuckerberg ‘philanthropy’

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s my take on philanthropy

The Commonwealth bank helps set up a system whereby a community can barely afford housing, only if the people within the community live below the poverty line. Everyone is working two to three jobs to help pay a few bills. The hubby sells grandma’s morphine to the local kids and has to suck up to his boss to keep in line for that promotion. He also sucks a few dicks on the weekend to help pay the bills. Due to most of the community barely having time to live in or maintain the housing there are rat problems and a few zoonotic diseases, the water carries typhoid. The needles from the local kids end up in the gutters.

But fortunately for the community the Commonwealth Bank donates $2,000 to the local cricket team.

Last edited:

The Commonwealth bank helps set up a system whereby a community can barely afford housing, only if the people within the community live below the poverty line. Everyone is working two to three jobs and the missus sucks a few dicks on the weekend to help pay a few bills. The hubby sells grandma’s morphine to the local kids and has to give his boss’s gooch a bit of a lick to keep in line for that promotion. He also sucks a few dicks on the weekend to help pay the bills. Due to most of the community barely having time to live in or maintain the housing there are rat problems and a few zoonotic diseases, the water carries typhoid. The needles from the local kids end up in the gutters.

But fortunately for the community the Commonwealth Bank donates $2,000 to the local cricket team.

The Comm Bank donates $2,000 to the Shane Warne Foundation on behalf of the community.

The Comm Bank donates $2,000 to the Shane Warne Foundation on behalf of the community.

Apparently Zuckerberg, Buffett, Gates etc want to donate half their fortune to philanthropic causes in their life time.

From what I understand Warren Buffett donated $30 billion to the Gates foundation...

If you move billions into a charity you can invest it with 0% tax, pay yourself your regular pay, spend 4% on the actual issues and pocket the rest.

Make $100,000,000 and pay no tax, spend $4,000,000 on a cause you get to use as publicity and save $30,000,000 in tax.

...and a lot of charities have a massive amount of administration to feed.

CEO gets
Member of board gets
Marketing gets
etc etc gets
And finally the scraps come out the bottom to the people actually needing it

What is interesting is the Gubmint actually has all the infrastructure set up without the need for admin duplication to do the same job...

...and a lot of charities have a massive amount of administration to feed.

CEO gets
Member of board gets
Marketing gets
etc etc gets
And finally the scraps come out the bottom to the people actually needing it

What is interesting is the Gubmint actually has all the infrastructure set up without the need for admin duplication to do the same job...
They only need to pay 4% of the money they generate towards their cause, the rest can be used to pay the administration staff millions of dollars to run the charity they set up to skip out on paying tax on their grand dad's cash.

F
Apparently Zuckerberg, Buffett, Gates etc want to donate half their fortune to philanthropic causes in their life time.

From what I understand Warren Buffett donated $30 billion to the Gates foundation...

Foundations they control with an iron fist and pay negigible tax. Its not my definition of giving money away.

And anti-aging skin cream is not my definition of 'curing all the worlds diseases'

Oh how cynical of me: the zuckerberg foundation 'accidentally discovered the anti-aging cream while researching the worlds serious diseases, and it would have been selfish to not 'share the love'

While working so hard to find the key to unlocking the answers to curing disease in our lifetime, Zuckerberg and Chan discovered something they hadn’t expected: the fountain of youth. While investigating several all-natural holistic remedies for curing skin cancer, Chan stumbled across a new way to care for the skin. While it may not have been the cancer answer she sought, Chan did learn that the ingredients her researchers were using did seem to push back the hands of time, making the skin look younger, smoother and healthier.

mark3.jpg

Mark and wife Priscilla are embarking on a joint business venture

Enthralled by the discovery, Chan put a team of researchers on the case, seeing how much they could learn about these all-natural ingredients. It took them months, but what they ultimately invented was amazing: creams and lotions that can strip away decades of skin damage, returning the skin to a more youthful state. Those who initially used the cream reported looking 10-15 years younger in less than a month!

Understanding the full implications of their discovery, Chan quickly patented the invention and talked to her husband about funding the new project. Not really interested in the attention putting their names on the product would create, being the private couple they are, Priscilla decided to release her new skin car line without her name or the "Zuckerberg" name endorsement.

They only need to pay 4% of the money they generate towards their cause, the rest can be used to pay the administration staff millions of dollars to run the charity they set up to skip out on paying tax on their grand dad's cash.

And the thing is, if they just paid more tax and the budget has a welfare / health / education / research component the money will be more efficiently going to where it is needed.

F

Foundations they control with an iron fist and pay negigible tax. Its not my definition of giving money away.

And anti-aging skin cream is not my definition of 'curing all the worlds diseases'

Oh how cynical of me: the zuckerberg foundation 'accidentally discovered the anti-aging cream while researching the worlds serious diseases, and it would have been selfish to not 'share the love'

I think you need to be a bit careful with this particular story...

But as for the philanthropy thing though, how long is Buffet planning on living if he still plans on giving away half his wealth?

I think you need to be a bit careful with this particular story...

But as for the philanthropy thing though, how long is Buffet planning on living if he still plans on giving away half his wealth?

In every news outlet and Facebook it was announced the Zuckerbergs would be 'giving their wealth away' if not for that, this wouldnt be the issue

In every news outlet and Facebook it was announced the Zuckerbergs would be 'giving their wealth away' if not for that, this wouldnt be the issue

Oh yeah like philanthropy-schmilanthropy, how does a person who cares, actually get that much cash, certainly not by giving it away. If they cared so much they should just pay 90% tax, the remaining 10% will still be around when their great great great great great great great great great ... great great great great ... great great great great grandchildren graduate from High School.

(But I was a bit more like... be careful of this particular story... check out the Katy Perry picture, I know Mark Zuckerberg looks like a robot, but... youknowwhatimsaying?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you move billions into a charity you can invest it with 0% tax, pay yourself your regular pay, spend 4% on the actual issues and pocket the rest.

Make $100,000,000 and pay no tax, spend $4,000,000 on a cause you get to use as publicity and save $30,000,000 in tax.
Fortunately some charities are quite transparent about their spending. Oxfam have an extremely high % of their donations utilized in actually helping the people they represent. Others, not so much.

The Commonwealth bank helps set up a system whereby a community can barely afford housing, only if the people within the community live below the poverty line. Everyone is working two to three jobs and the missus sucks a few dicks on the weekend to help pay a few bills. The hubby sells grandma’s morphine to the local kids and has to give his boss’s gooch a bit of a lick to keep in line for that promotion. He also sucks a few dicks on the weekend to help pay the bills. Due to most of the community barely having time to live in or maintain the housing there are rat problems and a few zoonotic diseases, the water carries typhoid. The needles from the local kids end up in the gutters.

Cynicism. This is how it's done:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

ACT 1

Zuckerberg apparently wants to invest $3B in curing all disease, from what I understand he wants to create a Silicon Valley for disease cure.

Here’s a juxtaposition that young Zuckerberg should take into account

Back in ye olde days some anthropologists come across a highlands tribe, and this tribe had many thyroid problems...

Meanwhile in the not too distant future such-and-such a city has been identified as the new location for Health Valley, attracting engineers and scientists from hither and yon, the local indigenous people are displaced with rising house costs and rising cost of living...

Back in ye olde days and the anthropologists recognise that the thyroid problems are related to a lack of iodine in the diet, iodine is usually found in seafood products, and these highland peoples rarely have seafood as part of their diet...

Meanwhile in Health Valley, ghetto-like suburbs have sprung up to house the previous indigenous inhabitants, along with methadone clinics. With the cost of living so high the Scientists and engineers are burning through Zuckerberg’s munny faster than the crap is coming out of a speed-addicted junkie’s a-hole. To get a person to do some minor CT scanning costs >$200K...

Back in ye olde days and the anthropologists are giving the highland peoples tablets of iodine to remove the highlands thyroid problems. Problem solved. So the anthropologists congratulate themselves and head off back home...

In the future, in Health Valley and after raising munny in the hundreds of billions, the scientists finally have a cure for one disease, dengue fever, fortunately for them, there is a local population living in a ghetto nearby where dengue fever has recently appeared...

After a few years time the anthropologists return and still see the same incidence of thyroid problems, they find the inhabitants are not used to taking tablets, it’s not part of their usual behaviour. But the anthropologists were smarter, and realised if they iodised the salt, the inhabitants would consume salt as part of their routine behaviour and therefore ingest iodine...

Meanwhile in Health Valley and the clinical trials are costing hundreds of millions of dollars, but there is an improvement in the ghettoed communities, dengue fever is on the decline, as long as the inhabitants take their tablets after they drink some of their polluted, dank, and mosquito-heroin infested water - poor people right? Haven’t they got any common sense?

Back in ye olde days and the thyroid problems are gone. Problem solved. A behavioural solution for a behavioural problem.

Meanwhile in Health Valley, the scientists read about the anthropologists and infuse the dengue fever antidote into the heroin, and as a result they see an instant and marked improvement. The scientists congratulate themselves, problem solved. Now they just need to raise the billions and billions of dollars more to help cure the recent increase in parasite and bacterial load in the nearby ghettoed communities, if only there was a common cause for all these problems?

Last edited:
Zuckerberg apparently wants to invest $3B in curing all disease, from what I understand he wants to create a Silicon Valley for disease cure.

Here’s a juxtaposition that young Zuckerberg should take into account

Back in ye olde days some anthropologists come across a highlands tribe, and this tribe had many thyroid problems...

Meanwhile in the not too distant future such-and-such a city has been identified as the new location for Health Valley, attracting engineers and scientists from hither and yon, the local indigenous people are displaced with rising house costs and rising cost of living...

Back in ye olde days and the anthropologists recognise that the thyroid problems are related to a lack of iodine in the diet, iodine is usually found in seafood products, and these highland peoples rarely have seafood as part of their diet...

Meanwhile in Health Valley, ghetto-like suburbs have sprung up to house the previous indigenous inhabitants, along with methadone clinics. With the cost of living so high the Scientists and engineers are burning through Zuckerberg’s munny faster than the crap is coming out of a speed-addicted junkie’s a-hole, to get a person to do some minor CT scanning costs >$200K...

Back in ye olde days and the anthropologists are giving the highland peoples tablets of iodine to remove the highlands thyroid problems. Problem solved. So the anthropologists congratulate themselves and head off back home...

In the future, in Health Valley and after raising munny in the hundreds of billions, the scientists finally have a cure for one disease, dengue fever, fortunately for them there is a local population living in a ghetto nearby dengue fever has recently appeared...

After a few years time the anthropologists return and still see the same incidence of thyroid problems, they find the inhabitants are not used to taking tablets, it’s not part of their usual behaviour. But the anthropologists were smarter, and realised if they iodised the salt, the inhabitants would consume salt as part of their routine behaviour and therefore ingest iodine...

Meanwhile in Health Valley and the clinical trials are costing hundreds of millions of dollars, but there is an improvement in the ghettoed communities, dengue fever is on the decline, as long as the inhabitants took their tablets after they drank some of their polluted, dank, and mosquito-heroin infested water - poor people right? Haven’t they got any common sense?

Back in ye olde days and the thyroid problems are gone. Problem solved. A behavioural solution for a behavioural problem.

Meanwhile in Health Valley the scientists read about the anthropologists and infuse the dengue fever antidote into the heroin, seeing an instant marked improvement. The scientists congratulate themselves, problem solved. Now they just need to raise the billions and billions of dollars more to help cure the recent increase in parasite and bacterial load in the nearby ghettoed communities, if only there was a common cause for all these problems?

Just in case one of Zuckerberg's bots or minions has got hold of this and delivered it straight to Lord Zuckerberg's hands AND Zuckerberg is feeling a little dense or disillusioned...

The answer to the question is greed Zuckerberg, that's right, greed, if you want to cure all disease, start with the common cause, cure greed.

Just in case one of Zuckerberg's bots or minions has got hold of this and delivered it straight to Lord Zuckerberg's hands AND Zuckerberg is feeling a little dense or disillusioned...

The answer to the question is greed Zuckerberg, that's right, greed, if you want to cure all disease, start with the common cause, cure greed.

Here's an example of philanthropy that you rarely see nowadays, it can cost a lot of money and time to try to pin down the aetiology of a disease, there are disease names (from memory) that start with "idio-" which can mean the cause is not yet known for the disease, yet without Zuckerberg spending a cent of his billions I have given him, for free, the aetiology, he can now focus all his time and munny on the cure... I didn't even get a thank you.

Edited to add: I didn't even get a Nobel Prize in Medicine as well :(
Edited to also add: With Al Gore, Obama, and even Kissinger (for Christ's sakes) getting Nobel Prizes, I thought they were just giving them away

Last edited:
ACT 2

A conversation that Mark Zuckerberg may or may not be having right now;

Picture this, a room stuffed with fat people scoffing pies (with the meat made from dead minke baby seal whales and the crust made of 100% pure crystalline sugar), and smoking Cuban cigars and washing it down with some 15th century chateau. Some of the conversation is "how many Asian students did you get now that you have made tenure?", and "...so I said to my PhD student, I don't pay you the same amount of money as a welfare recipient to cure cancer, for you to ask questions", and "...yep, squirted right on my face, and all I had to say to her was that if she said "no" I would not give her a HD and cancel her VISA", and "I wouldn't get out of bed to do my job for anything less than $10K per day", and "Sure my postdoctoral fellow did all the work, but my name appeared as chief investigator on the paper".

<Then a $500M robot walks down a set of stairs with a spoon and taps the spoon against a glass>
<Everyone claps>

And Mark Zuckerberg appears on the landing, just like a 1930s Mafia boss, or like the guy who played Lex Luther in the Superman vs Batman movie, and states - "Gentlemen! My scientists, researchers, engineers, and assorted minions, can anyone tell me how we are going to cure this group of diseases here" <points on a 3D SmartBoard using the latest laser pointer from Silicon Valley at a heading - "Diseases of Affluence?"> "any thoughts?"

There is much discussion, before a Scientist puts his hand up, a distinguished Professor with a 50 person research group, who has tackled a particular disease for the last 30 years of his academic degree and has always managed to make "good progress", but that elusive cure is still a few years off, due to the complex nature of the bodily system, "I am thinking a centre, architecturally designed with cubes... no wait! Hexagons" <murmur of approval> "reaching up to the very sky, with some Andy Warhol artwork installed on every second level, plants that are self-watered, and tea rooms that shower people with M&Ms when a person walks in, with robots" <claps of approval>

Mark Zuckerberg - "What do the robots do?"

Scientist - "Serve tea, yet the tea is made from sugar and the cup is made from chocolate and the chocolate is made from the sweat of 10,000 virgins who are spoon fed cocoa beans"

Mark Zuckerberg - "Excellent, start raising the funds, we shall have a charity function, ask President Obama what his calendar is looking like on the 7th, suckers... I mean "people" will pay rather a large amount to see him speak"

Last edited:
ACT 3

A future Mark Zuckerberg is wheelchair bound, suffering from an inevitable bodily deterioration at the hands of a disease, of one sort or another, that incidentally, could have easily been cured by povvo-person #356,778,101, who lived in Ghetto F-12, and had a brilliant idea one time, but she was a woman and therefore not the kind of scientist the establishment were looking for, and even if not snaffled up by the establishment, and she were allowed some agency, she would have created the cure, but instead she died from intestinal worms. Mark Zuckerberg is exasperated, not coping well with dying, how will the world go on without him?

Mark Zuckerberg - "If only I made the hexagons bigger on the research institute?" <he takes off a $1B diamond encrusted albino monkey-hand brooch from his suit> "I could have spent this! This worthless trinket! This could have saved my life!"

<He throws the brooch into a mirror, which in true Hollywood form shatters>
<Mark Zuckerberg ponders his lot, looking at his reflection in shattered glass>
<camera fades>

Credits roll
Produced by RupieDupie
Written by RupieDupie

Cast
Mark Zuckerberg as himself
Evil Scientist Number 1 - Gary Oldman

Music by
RupieDupie

All charities should be taxed as businesses. If they keep records and actually incur deductions for charitable work then they don’t incur tax like a business that makes no profit.

If they are don’t have deductions, they get a tax bill. Problem solved!

All charities should be taxed as businesses. If they keep records and actually incur deductions for charitable work then they don’t incur tax like a business that makes no profit.

If they are don’t have deductions, they get a tax bill. Problem solved!

Part of the attraction of tax exempt status is that you can solicit donations and the donor gets an automatic tax deduction for their donation.

You want to cripple the ability of charities to get donations for the sake of ideology?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back