Player Watch Harry DeMattia

Remove this Banner Ad

Everybody is talking up their own draftees. I’m sure bombers fans think Caddy is a top 5 pick, and crows fans think they stole the draft etc etc..
Harry has a lot of solid attributes, but he was also skipped 25+ times by other recruiters, and has never proven his midfield credentials over 4 quarters before. I’m still surprised he slipped through to us though, and am glad he did. First and foremost you wanna like your draftees as people, as well as seeing plenty of upside in them. And Harry ticks both of these boxes for me. Ditto TJ…

Not having a top 10 pick to go alongside them is a shame, but we seem to have two solid citizens and players from the 2023 crop, with the hope that next year’s trading period brings a prized recruit to bolster our KP stocks…
I've always thought that the first 5 or so pure midfielders drafted pretty much covers it for picking up a mid with excellent potential. Anything outside that, you may as well recruit for another position/role when you're up, as you may be more likely to find a player that can slot in and fill a position elsewhere.

So, if Harry is a pure midfielder, chances are slim he will be a top line midfielder in the AFL. I'm more confident in Jiath becoming a regular AFL player.

Having said this, I have zero idea and nothing I have said has been researched.

I've always thought that the first 5 or so pure midfielders drafted pretty much covers it for picking up a mid with excellent potential. Anything outside that, you may as well recruit for another position/role when you're up, as you may be more likely to find a player that can slot in and fill a position elsewhere.

So, if Harry is a pure midfielder, chances are slim he will be a top line midfielder in the AFL. I'm more confident in Jiath becoming a regular AFL player.

Harry is not a pure midfielder at this stage at under 18’s, let alone afl

Hey talking about Harry, what about captioning this photo of him and Beau I found on a Pie fb site.View attachment 1891310
spider-man.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear what youre saying, but history also doesnt always agree with this assertion.

Take the 2008 draft for example... Dayne Beams wasn't even in the top 10 mids chosen, and turned out to be a gun. Whilst other highly rated mid hopefuls ended up as role players, or down back etc. Daniel Rich, Stephen Hill. Whilst others didnt even make it... Sam Blease, Tom Swift. Whilst Rory Sloane was even further down than Beams at pick 44.

Top 5 should be near on guaranteed, I agree... but players like Dow have also proven this to be flawed. Whilst other gun mids like Swan, Priddis and Kelly either go undrafted or are way down the list as hopefuls. Players slide due to potential / upside being so hard to judge at 17 years of age. & someone like Harry with limited footballing exposure and proof as a genuine midfielder was seemingly too much of a risk for most recruiters to take within the top 20. I really like his attributes tho, and like all of us, am hoping that he is a long term genuine mid, which likely places him in the top 10 players at the club for a long time to come

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back