Has Gillon lost his Marbles

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get it. A journalist is employed by a paper, TV station, whatever, and I cannot see how Gilligan can prevent them from writing/talking about the game. In the words of Basil Fawlty, "This is exactly how Nazi Germany got started" :)

No but by removing press accrediation, they can be banned from the press box, banned from press conferences, banned from the rooms post match, be given no access to football clubs, players and officials will not be allowed to be interviewed. They can still write, but will almost no source material to work with.

Removing the accreditation of journalists who totally invent stories to sell papers or get ratings is NOT how Nazi Germany got started.

Good. Sports journalists need some accountability, at the moment they are beholden to nobody. They can make s**t up and suffer no consequences whatsoever as long as they say 'it is understood'.

Any measures to improve the standard of sports journalism in this country would be a step in the right direction

Don't strip the of accreditation, just make them wear and official AFL clown nose when they attend games and press briefings.

Like the official clown nose that the AFL Board and Rules Committee wear at meetings.

Damian Barrett is one of the last honest journalists working in the business. Never has there been a journalist like him that works harder to uncover the truth, in order to fight the injustices of the world.

If everyone was a bit more like Barrett then we wouldn't need heaven, as we'd already be there.
Hey purple

Sports writing != Journalism.

Depends what you define 'sports writing' as.

Writing about the actual game/match/contest, maybe not.

But don't be a moron, there's plenty of journalism around sports writing. Nick McKenzie and Richard Baker have written their fair share on sports issues for *s sake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Gillon due for mid year holiday? Oh wait.... Maybe wait til s**t hits the fan again then time to take off.

Didn't think any one could stink it up worse than Demetriou but Gillon has him well and truly covered

I don't think it would stop Hardie from spouting s**t. He's not really a 'journalist', he's a 'personality'. He's paid to give his opinion on the game and repeat anything interesting he hears from his mates, who he knows from his playing days and generally being in the football fraternity. He doesn't go to press conferences and ask questions, he doesn't need exclusive interviews with the players, he just needs to watch the game in a pub and then ramble on for a couple of hours about it.

Would just be another stupid kneejerk reaction from the AFL if something like this started happening.

Despite the denials no one has even proved that Brad Hardie's story was false, I wouldn't trust Ross Lyon or Eddie McGuire any more than Hardie.

The AFL will make their own newspaper
news_091.jpg

The AFL should make journalists sign contracts stating that any claim made by them in their stories must be verifiably true, and anything coming from them is their responsibility, such that they cannot hide behind the old line of "my sources say X" or "I've heard that X" (here's looking at you, Barrett). If something they have stated is challenged by a club/player and proven to be false, then said club/player can request for their AFL accreditation to be removed (either temporarily or permanently on some form of strike system). This isn't hindering free speech, as the journalists can still release whatever stories they wish, it's just that they cannot do it with special access.

If the journalists complain about this being such a heavy burden, then they should do their research to ensure that what they're saying and/or typing is true, which, you know, is their job.
So when James Hird called Caroline Wilson a liar, claimed he wasn't going to usurp Knights and coach Essendon, you would be happy for Wilsons credentials to be revoked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back