Hawks and Hammies

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Been a while since we have had so many hamstring injuries in concurrent weeks. At this stage those recovering from hammies include Michington, Bugers, Shiels and Chip. Can't recall if we had others during the off-season.

Any thoughts on whether we are just unlucky, whether it is a result of a shorter pre-season competition period, other, etc?

Either way, hoping the injury plague stops as it is making it tough...

Been a while since we have had so many hamstring injuries in concurrent weeks. At this stage those recovering from hammies include Michington, Bugers, Shiels and Chip. Can't recall if we had others during the off-season.

Any thoughts on whether we are just unlucky, whether it is a result of a shorter pre-season competition period, other, etc?

As far as I know these guys all have history with soft tissue injuries, though Burgers only recently, seems just poor luck that they've all come at once.

Considering the plague of ACLs in the comp at the moment I'm just glad we haven't got any of them.

Andrew Russell. AND it is not the only issue.
How have we finished our games off so far !!!!!!
Come on man, that’s crap...

Regardless the player, they frequently had injury issues when arriving fresh at Hawthorn under Russell. You want me to accept that he arrives at Carlton & has an awesome positive impact, without hurting anyone? The only way I accept that is if he’s arrived there & changed nothing; hence, applying no means for causing injury. Now given that they’ve not incurred any structural or ‘luck’ injuries, I’m going to side with that. He’s seen a side with a low base & is taking the slow road & in doing so, has also been lucky with stuff like ACL/impact injuries.

Further, this post kinda suggests that in all his time with us, Russell didn’t build a system & just kinda engaged ‘the vibe’ so that the new guy (who has been there for a bit) had nothing to work from & managed to somehow reduce the fitness of seasoned, professional athletes, whilst hurting also finding a way to hurt them...

Feels like you’re asking me to believe that we let 1x guy run his own show for years, without building a system; then, we let him leave & brought I someone not nearly as good & this is the reason for our s**t form in 2 of 4 games?

Yeah, nah...

Come on man, that’s crap...

Regardless the player, they frequently had injury issues when arriving fresh at Hawthorn under Russell. You want me to accept that he arrives at Carlton & has an awesome positive impact, without hurting anyone? The only way I accept that is if he’s arrived there & changed nothing; hence, applying no means for causing injury. Now given that they’ve not incurred any structural or ‘luck’ injuries, I’m going to side with that. He’s seen a side with a low base & is taking the slow road & in doing so, has also been lucky with stuff like ACL/impact injuries.

Further, this post kinda suggests that in all his time with us, Russell didn’t build a system & just kinda engaged ‘the vibe’ so that the new guy (who has been there for a bit) had nothing to work from & managed to somehow reduce the fitness of seasoned, professional athletes, whilst hurting also finding a way to hurt them...

Feels like you’re asking me to believe that we let 1x guy run his own show for years, without building a system; then, we let him leave & brought I someone not nearly as good & this is the reason for our s**t form in 2 of 4 games?

Yeah, nah...

Come on man, indeed !!!!!

One needs to be a little circumspect here, because as a consequence of what I might say might be misconstrued.

Fact. Soft tissue injuries have been raised YTD. Across the whole squad.

Of course, absolutely of course, Andrew Russell was also responsible for establishing a “regime of excellence that continue in his absence”.

I have more, but I will be circumspect (sorry for repeating myself). This is also public.

But let me just say this.....(from someone within the Conditioning team who I trust emphatically).......”overnight you cannot replace years of experience and intel, just knowing enough about the individual, their make up, their preparedness to feedback, their essential trust based on relationship”.

No-one, repeat no-one is casting any aspersions about our hard working and highly competent Conditioning team, but they would be the first to suggest that they are not yet at the “level of Andy Russell”.

If you think there is not “ongoing oversight and review” you have your head in the sand.

Last edited:
Come on man, indeed !!!!!

One needs to be a little circumspect here, because as a consequence of what I might say might be misconstrued.

Fact. Soft tissue injuries have been raised YTD. Across the whole squad.

Of course, absolutely of course, Andrew Russell was also responsible for establishing a “regime of excellence that continue in his absence”.

I have more, but I will be circumspect (sorry for repeating myself).

But let me just say this.....(from someone within the Conditioning team who I trust emphatically).......”overnight you cannot replace years of experience and intel, just knowing enough about the individual, their make up, their preparedness to feedback, their essential trust based on relationship”.

No-one, repeat no-one is casting any aspersions about our hard working and highly competent Conditioning team, but they would be the first to suggest that they are not yet at the “level of Andy Russell”.

If you think there is not “ongoing oversight and review” you have your head in the sand.
Why would I think there isn’t ongoing oversight & review? That’s an integral (base level) part of any quality/risk management system.

If we weren’t competent if that field, we’d be Carlton

Im not sure if this counts but i did my hammy playing squash on tuesday.

Soft tissue injuries can be season killers, and for us have been game killers. if it reduces the bench to 3 or even 2 for the position of a game it affects the ability to run games out hence the fadeouts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tweaked the hamstring in my right leg in a 50 metre sprint against my 10 year old grandson. If I had let him win it would not have been a problem. However even at 72 I am a bit competitive.
Fortunately my Physio was at the Hawks many years ago and I am right as rain.
I told my grandson that was the last time I would ever beat him.

I tweaked the hamstring in my right leg in a 50 metre sprint against my 10 year old grandson. If I had let him win it would not have been a problem. However even at 72 I am a bit competitive.
What are you like from a set shot & are you available about 11am Monday?

I did a quad against my son in a very similar situation.

Very minor, was running again in a week. Not treated by Andrew Russell. Probably a miracle. Wasn't even easter at the time.

Seriously. People should look at the average age of the group we've had go down with soft tissues for us so far this year. Young guys seem to be mostly ok. I think this tells us something.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back