List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better than a few guys looking to fill that hole I guess.
Yep I’m not that sort of McKay…
See Ya Reaction GIF by Travis

Again, we were looking at ratogolea as well as McKay, Geelong reckon Jeka can fill the ratagolea hole.

We also drafted kosi as a defender, hardly played him there.

If you are going to compromise in a ‘not Brian lake’ defender don’t pay franchise wages.

Still liking Blanck as permanent. A couple of younger options, Frost for a couple more years, top interceptors CJ Frost Weddle, resting ruck
I think we may find we have a lot more flexibility than we think

Also another form of defence is keeping it locked in f50, which is another area we need work on. Fast rebounds expose the best defences

Interesting timing on Blanck.

Didn't he get an extension a few months ago (and that was post McKay too)
Extended in June or July 2023 to end of 2024.

So that was comfortably pre-trade / draft.

Now extended again to end of 2026 - which is a good thing I believe.

I daresay the list manager has looked at our current mature KPD options and, having not added anyone who is able to jump straight in and take a big KPF on a regular basis, we are ensuring we have James for the next 3 years.

We will simply have to accept that, whether it's experimenting with Scrimshaw, Digby or going again with Frost, 2024 will again see us "crossing our fingers a bit" when the opposition have 2 genuine KPDs we have to keep quiet, and hoping someone not ideally suited to the role can get it done from week to week

Mid season trade period to happen from next season

I think it’s a great idea

Just another hype fest I suspect. At the expense of players employment security. Why would an AFLPA president not just agree but spruik this?
What’s to stop the rules allowing for clubs to quietly arrange trades and just let the public know when it done?

Always detested the idea.

The best I can hope for are strict guidelines where only players who haven't represented their club at senior level that season can move clubs.

A player pulling on two different club guernseys in the same season is absolutely wild to me, and will do more harm than good to tribalism and supporter growth.

Good luck telling little Jimmy or Jane that their favourite player just swapped clubs. They'll either change allegiances or lose a key contributor to their interest in their current football club.

We aren't the American sports.
We aren't the English premier league.

The war of attrition lasts from pre-season in November to the following September. You do your best with the group you have.

Once a team steals a flag after acquiring a gun player from an opposition club half way through the season it will be a sad day for football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think we have too many clubs. Talent pools are thinning. Talent pathways are below par, without sufficient funding and staff being set unrealistic goals in part time hours.

North/Saints/Dogs are small clubs with weak supporter bases for example.

Tribalism is at an all time low. In the 90s, you could feel the emotions of your area and fans. On the trains it was exhilarating after a win, I still remember the trams from Princess park, packed to the rafters.

Academies need to be given funding into elite feeder groups, with access to players starting from 12+.

The VFL also needs to be strengthened into an elite second league. Some clubs are pretty much uncompetitive.

The total draft numbers now are less than before expansion? How is there too many clubs then?

It’s because lists are older and players are kept on longer, if you want an answer.

Just to illustrate this, all the premiers 2001-2011 would comfortably be in the bottom 6 age wise in 2024. The youngest being hawks 2008 at 22.7 yo

Last edited:
Always detested the idea.

The best I can hope for are strict guidelines where only players who haven't represented their club at senior level that season can move clubs.

A player pulling on two different club guernseys in the same season is absolutely wild to me, and will do more harm than good to tribalism and supporter growth.

Good luck telling little Jimmy or Jane that their favourite player just swapped clubs. They'll either change allegiances or lose a key contributor to their interest in their current football club.

We aren't the American sports.
We aren't the English premier league.

The war of attrition lasts from pre-season in November to the following September. You do your best with the group you have.

Once a team steals a flag after acquiring a gun player from an opposition club half way through the season it will be a sad day for football.
Do you think if we reduced the amount of clubs, tribalism and supporter growth would improve? By removing smaller clubs?

I think it's inevitable.

The total draft numbers now are less than before expansion? How is there too many clubs then?

It’s because lists are older and players are kept on longer, if you want an answer.
I've re-read this about 10 times now and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say.

I still think we have too many clubs. Talent pools are thinning. Talent pathways are below par, without sufficient funding and staff being set unrealistic goals in part time hours.

North/Saints/Dogs are small clubs with weak supporter bases for example.

Tribalism is at an all time low. In the 90s, you could feel the emotions of your area and fans. On the trains it was exhilarating after a win, I still remember the trams from Princess park, packed to the rafters.

Academies need to be given funding into elite feeder groups, with access to players starting from 12+.

The VFL also needs to be strengthened into an elite second league. Some clubs are pretty much uncompetitive.

We need to support the Under 18’s comp more as well.

It’s nice a few young players come to senior teams.

I think the opposite also needs to occur, send a couple of AFL players to each junior club for 3 or four sessions a year so the whole club benefits.

We need to support the Under 18’s comp more as well.

It’s nice a few young players come to senior teams.

I think the opposite also needs to occur, send a couple of AFL players to each junior club for 3 or four sessions a year so the whole club benefits.
I don't understand that last statement.

Our free agency has been a weakness for years.

I am glad the club has addressed the concern, a bonus it is Roughy to fill the position. I have to ask which St kilda player are we after? 😆

“Jarryd’s position will see him focus on attracting players via trade and free agency”.

I don't understand that last statement.
The AFL need to support the under 18 NAB league more!

Send AFL players to those clubs for a few sessions a year, that way the whole squad players and coaches benefit.

We need to attract young players to the game. A those who don’t make it to the AFL, will pass on the experience learnt from the AFL players visiting the teams. Making the whole league better for the experience.

And yet, that's how the VFL operated in my living memory.

Stuart Trott and Michael Byrne come immediately to mind.

Our free agency has been a weakness for years.

I am glad the club has addressed the concern, a bonus it is Roughy to fill the position. I have to ask which St kilda player are we after?

“Jarryd’s position will see him focus on attracting players via trade and free agency”.

Josh Battle would be a logical target from the saints, free agent key defender we’ve possibly tried before (I might have him confused with someone else).

Rough is the kind of bloke that has anyone onside almost immediately though, so I’m not sure the saints connection would change much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back