Hawks Need Forward Players????

Remove this Banner Ad

CrUsTy86

Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
Other Teams
Hawks
Are there any big name, solid build players out of contract this year that we could look at???????

:confused: :confused:

Well, Fevola is a big name and out of contract.

Not interested in him myself. Would rather wait for Buddy and Roughhead to develop and keep the salary cap loose.

agree. we drafted Buddy and Roughie for those reasons, if we are patient those two plus Willo are gonna be a handful. Try to pick up another midfielder, much cheaper than getting key position players, Fevola will cost way too much.

Could be a painful few years if we have to wait on Buddy, Roughie to become consistently good KPP. I think we need something other than Holland to tide us over as a marking target. If not chasing a Fevola, then what do people think about taking a punt on a KPP who has been in the system for 4-5 years and has "potential'??? I'm thinking McDougall from WCE or Damon White from Port. Can't think of any others but would welcome suggestions. We wouldn't want to give away a top 15 pick for one of these guys but maybe a 20's draft pick.

cschreuder61 said:
agree. we drafted Buddy and Roughie for those reasons...

...not to mention Murphy, Little, Kirkby, Young and Height who all play forward.

Brown, Hodge, Mitchell, Bateman, Clarke, Ladson, Osborne - all are having career best years IMO - these guys are in their fourth/fifth seasons and are only just starting to play consistent week-in, week-out AFL standard football.

It will take time, but we certainly have recruited (and thankfully recruited tall) for our forward line.

big buddy38 said:
Could be a painful few years if we have to wait on Buddy, Roughie to become consistently good KPP. I think we need something other than Holland to tide us over as a marking target. If not chasing a Fevola, then what do people think about taking a punt on a KPP who has been in the system for 4-5 years and has "potential'??? I'm thinking McDougall from WCE or Damon White from Port. Can't think of any others but would welcome suggestions. We wouldn't want to give away a top 15 pick for one of these guys but maybe a 20's draft pick.

Yup, there is always that, too. We could certainly fork out the dosh for a potential gun KP forward aged 21-24, and if we get the opportunity to snag one, i'm sure the club will do what it can.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many clubs that part with young ready-made talls, and we'd be VERY fortunate to pick one up, even if we had pick 1 in the PSD.

Grendel said:
Don't want Koszitski, after getting rid of Picioane (and finally learning to spell it) don't want to have to go through the same thing again with Koschitzki thanks.
Could you elaborate? Is this just spelling thing?
Fwiw, I don't rate Kosi but I'm interested in your thoughts.

binxy24 said:
I think that StKilda have perhaps one tall too many on their list ,and i think Kosi is it .Would make a great kpp forward for us to compliment the young guys we already have.i think up forward would be his best position but there is no room when you already have Riewoldt,Gehrig & Hamill & he is a bit on the slow side to play permanently in defense.Binxy ,if he was available @ seasons end i'd love him to end up @ the Hawks he would fit just nicely i think .Just my thoughts Fwiw.

binxy24 said:

I rate him, although I'm a bit concerned by his tendency to spend more time on the injury list than your average player.

The problem we would have, assuming that he wouldn't nominate for the PSD and screw the Saints over (even then we'd have to have top pick), is what have we got to give the Saints that they would want and that we already wouldn't need.

I think we're locked hard into a continuing youth recruitment policy whether we like it or not.

How many of those close games do you think you may have won if you still had Thompson up forward?

Please don't get me wrong I think the Hawks made some tough but correct decisions at the end of last season and in the long run the club will benefit from biting the bullet and sticking with the kids some of which look to have real talent eg Lance Franklin, Josh Thurgood, that Lewis guy and Roughead. those guys combined with your midfield, Hay and Croad and top up of a few more 1st round draft picks over the next few years should IMO see your list peaking in about 3-4 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koschitzke (correct spelling fwiw) has from my pov plenty of upside but also, a suspect injury history and a worrying tendency not to string games together.

Still young and might be able to overcome it.. and yet..

Given what's been shown with Jacobs (ability certainly but very very suspect body, especially his back) anyone with back problems I'd be circumspect about approaching.

Doubt the Saints would want to let him go either so there's also that little hurdle to overcome.

salamander said:
How many of those close games do you think you may have won if you still had Thompson up forward?
From what I recall there were many a close game the Hawks lost with Thommo in the side during his career with us and I can also remember blame being thrown at him for not holding marks, some uncontested, just at a point in game when we needed him to fire.

Thompson wanted out at Hawthorn and it is simple as that. He is nothing startling at North and I believe we have more talented youngsters coming through.

Would you guys like Ben Holand at the end of the year? I'm sure we can tee something up...

you can give us.. oh wait, you've got nooone. Stuff it, you can have dutchy for free.

rick James said:
Would you guys like Ben Holand at the end of the year? I'm sure we can tee something up...

you can give us.. oh wait, you've got nooone. Stuff it, you can have dutchy for free.

Feel better now?

rick James said:

You're dead right we've got nooone ,& and as long as i've been alive which is quite awhile the Dees have won NUUTHING !,so before you start
being a total smartarse ,i would firstly wait until you at least secure a win this week & then perhaps a couple more years in the chance you might have a bit modern day silver ware under your belt because as it stands the only thing you've got to show for good early season form is a lease on the Junction Oval.

I dont think that this should even be an issue! We should NOT target any other forward, but rather we should stick to our youth policy. Lets draft and develop our OWN players.

Why are people so willing to fasttrack our rebuiliding?? Im actually enjoying the whole rollercoaster ride, and watching the young kids develop!

If we did happen to pick up someone from another club, we would obviously have to pay a big price for him, something which i think we shouldnt do.

The Hawks should be fine. Roughead and Franklin will be able to take marks in the forward 50 and Mark Williams has improved out of sight to become a smaller leading forward. A forward target in the mean time would be less painful for the supporters, however one should only be acquired if they are either young and quality, or inexpensive. The only concern with Franklin and Roughead may be the fact that they both may be best suited to the same position, but I suppose thats a good thing.

PAOKTSIS said:
I dont think that this should even be an issue! We should NOT target any other forward, but rather we should stick to our youth policy. Lets draft and develop our OWN players.

Why are people so willing to fasttrack our rebuiliding?? Im actually enjoying the whole rollercoaster ride, and watching the young kids develop!

If we did happen to pick up someone from another club, we would obviously have to pay a big price for him, something which i think we shouldnt do.
Fully agree, POAKTSIS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back