Hardwick as a forward 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

This reminds me of the move of Campbell Brown to the forward line in 2008.
Thought the same looking through some old lists. Not a huge amount of goals but serious impact. He got 14 goals that year. If Dimma got that and assisted in the same it would be a win I would think.

I have to seriously question the wisdom of this. Not saying he couldn't play that role and do it very well, I'm certain he could. But we have a plethora of players who could do the same or similar role just as well - Bruest is one of the best small forwards in history, Chad when he gets back (these two should have at least two years left in them), Moore should be ready by rd1, Ginnivan's looked excellent so far, Watson's going to be a gun, then there's O'Sullivan and Bennetts who can possibly fill that role too.

We need Dimma's experience and toughness down back way, way more than we need him to play as a small forward.

Hardwick would not have helped much yesterday. It was a) the way it was coming in and b) our taller defenders were unable to cope with their taller forwards. It wasn't like their smaller forwards were running amok. Are we saying our taller defenders needed Hardwick telling them what to do?

Has shown some really nice things in an area we already seem well served... I wonder what Bennetts and O'Sullivan think...

I back the coaches as they get a very high amount of decisions right... I'd still have Callow on the list:):):).

My preference is still Hardwick aiming for AA as a defender, such an important position. Finn doesn't have to play back and his running power on mids can get to work. Would love to see Mitchell in the other pocket.

This is a no for me. We look disorganised down back. He’s very good back there. I am not convinced he’s much good as a forward

We obviously need him in the backline.

Especially when we have the likes of Frost and the inexperienced Phillips down there.

Maybe once (if) the side is more settle and we have Mitchell and Macdonald back we can try him forward again. I think that was the other half of this move - to make room for one or both of these speedsters.

Playing one of the premier small defenders in the league forward, when we aren't short on forwards and are short on small defenders, just seems odd.

We should throw it in the bin after 1 practice match. No need to give it time.

I’m sure Sam wasn’t really sure about his decision to play him forward, anyway.

Has shown some really nice things in an area we already seem well served... I wonder what Bennetts and O'Sullivan think...

I back the coaches as they get a very high amount of decisions right... I'd still have Callow on the list:):):).

My preference is still Hardwick aiming for AA as a defender, such an important position. Finn doesn't have to play back and his running power on mids can get to work. Would love to see Mitchell in the other pocket.

It's up to Bennetts, JOS and Butler to prove they're good enough to get games in our forward line.

I like Hardwick up forward but losing Blanck (and the impact it may have on our structure down back) probably wasn’t in the plans.

I like Hardwick up forward but losing Blanck (and the impact it may have on our structure down back) probably wasn’t in the plans.

True, Frost could be playing on smalls instead. I think losing Mitchell and to a lesser extent Macdonald has had an impact too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's weigh it up shall we. Feel free to add points as you see fit.

Con's:
  • it removes the best small defender from our backline
  • lack of viable replacements currently, with Mitchell and Macdonald both out
  • Blanck injured means Frost can't play the one role he is solid at (vs non KPF's)
  • the potential replacements are inexperienced (Finn, Mitchell, Macdonald)
  • we have no genuine lock-down small defenders, bar Hardwick
  • our backline is clearly a weakness and will likely be under seige this season
  • deep forward line on paper, we have a lot of viable options. It isn't an area of need currently

Pro's:
  • we could potentially have a very fast backline once Mitchell and Macdonald come back. Impey, Amon + one or both = pace. Pace in defence is seemingly something Sam wants. Hardwick removed from defence leaves a spot for one/ both to play
  • could provide some hardness to our forward line
  • might catch teams off guard?
  • could become a great swing man if he works out at a forward, feeding into the point above

I think the first pro point is the main one. I can't see Sam putting an end to the move, despite how poor the defence looked, with Mitchell due to come back soon. Personally I'd rather him play as a backman, for now at least.

Last edited:
Clearly different types. But backline was all at sea and not hard to think putting Hardwick back will add some steel and calmness back there. He’s probably the best 1-on-1 player in the back 6.
I understand the sentiment, but isn’t that a bit of an insult to the other experienced players there (Sic, Amon, Frost, Scrimshaw aren’t rookies) and he is hardly helping out against the opposition talls, which was the main issue,

This idea that Hardwick is the cure all for what happened in the practice match is a bit of a stretch.

Let's weigh it up shall we. Feel free to add points as you see fit.

Con's:
  • it removes the best small defender from our backline
  • lack of viable replacements currently, with Mitchell and Macdonald both out
  • Blanck injured means Frost can't play the one role he is solid at (vs non KPF's)
  • the potential replacements are inexperienced (Finn, Mitchell, Macdonald)
  • we have no genuine lock-down small defenders, bar Hardwick
  • our backline is clearly a weakness and will likely be under seige this season
  • deep forward line on paper, we have a lot of viable options. It isn't an area of need currently

Pro's:
  • we could potentially have a very fast backline once Mitchell and Macdonald come back. Impey, Amon + one or both = pace. Pace in defence is seemingly something Sam wants. Hardwick removed from defence leaves a spot for one/ both to play
  • could provide some hardness to our forward line
  • might catch teams off guard?
  • could become a great swing man if he works out at a forward, feeding into the point above

I think the first pro point is the main one. I can't see Sam putting an end to the move, despite how poor the defence looked, with Mitchell due to come back soon. Personally I'd rather him play as a backman, for now at least.
Phillips takes Blanck role, and we continue as is. With Hardwick probably still playing back on occasion, perhaps when there is gun small forward that needs his skills.

I understand the sentiment, but isn’t that a bit of an insult to the other experienced players there (Sic, Amon, Frost, Scrimshaw aren’t rookies) and he is hardly helping out against the opposition talls, which was the main issue,

This idea that Hardwick is the cure all for what happened in the practice match is a bit of a stretch.

Literally no one has said, claimed or insinuated this.

Phillips takes Blanck role, and we continue as is. With Hardwick probably still playing back on occasion, perhaps when there is gun small forward that needs his skills.

Seems that this is the plan. It will be interesting to see who Sam the job on gun smalls like Greene, Cameron, Stengle, etc. to. I expect it would be Mitchell once he's back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back