Oooh Cyril

Senior List
Mar 21, 2013
Tuerong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
I have been pushing for years to get Hardwick and Sicily to the forward line because great goal kickers are hard to find. Hardwick had a great junior goal kicking record. Lo and behold Hardwick appears on the forward line in the last quarter A great pass from him to Punky results in a goal. Then he takes a great mark and kicks one Then he almost takes a mark on the point line which goes through. Then he takes another great contested mark and kicks another goal. Enough said

I have been pushing for years to get Hardwick and Sicily to the forward line because great goal kickers are hard to find. Hardwick had a great junior goal kicking record. Lo and behold Hardwick appears on the forward line in the last quarter A great pass from him to Punky results in a goal. Then he takes a great mark and kicks one Then he almost takes a mark on the point line which goes through. Then he takes another great contested mark and kicks another goal. Enough said
I don't mind the Hardwick call especially considering the other talent we can bring in but moving Sicily forwards screams of robbing peter to pay paul

He is clearly our best defender and probably a top 10 defender in the league, just leave him where he does his best work

Kosy to backline. And where the hell was Scrimshaw our second best intercept defender?

Wouldn't be making the move off the back of 1 poor showing

Although, it would help once Morris is back fit to enable Dimma to move.

I don't mind the Hardwick call especially considering the other talent we can bring in but moving Sicily forwards screams of robbing peter to pay paul

He is clearly our best defender and probably a top 10 defender in the league, just leave him where he does his best We have nothing to lose by moving Sicily forward and using Scrimshaw and Weddle on the backline

There is a Pies supporter down at the dog park whose son played with Dimma. He had been furious for years that we don't play him forward.

Just take the time to look at that one quarter. In how he led, positioned and goal assisted. No brainer for me.

Over the last few years
There is a Pies supporter down at the dog park whose son played with Dimma. He had been furious for years that we don't play him forward.

Just take the time to look at that one quarter. In how he led, positioned and goal assisted. No brainer for me.
I’m not alone. He is also a great back man because he knows how forwards play

We have nothing to lose by giving it a try. It may actually make our other backmen think a bit more about their own game and not rely on Sicily
We have our best defender not being in the backline, to lose.

We have nothing to lose by giving it a try. It may actually make our other backmen think a bit more about their own game and not rely on Sicily
Sicily seems to struggle when he goes forward for whatever reason. So I'm against it. However, Hardwick looked like he just fit in so am all for it.

We've played Hardwick forward in the past and he's done sweet f.a.
He did look relatively comfortable down there yesterday but the service to him was also half decent, as opposed to the other couple of quarters where we were consistently kicking to a forward outnumbered 3 vs 1.
I'd much rather see Brockman and Butler get forwardline opportunities than an accomplished defender like Dimma

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've played Hardwick forward in the past and he's done sweet f.a.
He did look relatively comfortable down there yesterday but the service to him was also half decent, as opposed to the other couple of quarters where we were consistently kicking to a forward outnumbered 3 vs 1.
I'd much rather see Brockman and Butler get forwardline opportunities than someone an accomplished defender like Dimma
I can’t recall one game where Dimma played forward. Can you name one

I can’t recall one game where Dimma played forward. Can you name one
I do recall a limited no of times when his opponent dragged him to our forward line and got a chance to shoot for goal He shot well for goal. His limited goal shooting accuracy would be very interesting

I do recall a limited no of times when his opponent dragged him to our forward line and got a chance to shoot for goal He shot well for goal. His limited goal shooting accuracy would be very interesting

Attachments

• BD55629F-B17B-4F71-A9B2-02ADDD5F7F0F.png
    BD55629F-B17B-4F71-A9B2-02ADDD5F7F0F.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 52

He is clearly our best defender and probably a top 10 defender in the league, just leave him where he does his best work
Agreed and bring in Butler/Brockman to play that small forward role.

One may as well say, via exactly the same logic, that we need to move Lewis permanently out of the forward line to make the other forwards think more about their own game, and not rely on Lewis so much.

Or move Jai out of the midfield for the same reason.

Sicily is an All-Australian quality (arf) defender. We need him there.

Your comment that we have nothing to lose by not playing our best defender in defence is rather ill-thought-out. Our defensive structure is absolutely the first thing we could lose very quickly.

I have no objection to a 15 minute stint up forward for either of them (when things aren't working at all, like yesterday) but Hardwick and Sic are otherwise key components in our defence .

Hardwick - our best small defender
Sicily - our best player and best defender

We have Butler and Brockman waiting for a chance to play. These two will come into the side before we ever play Hardwick as a permanent forward, surely.

Hardwick and Sicily (and maybe Blanck, but early days) appear to be the only accountable defenders we have. The rest (including scrim) seem to be intercept/rebound, with no plan B (fine if it goes to plan consistently.. bad when they have to actually defend). Let the rest prove they can do the hard work.. and then maybe we could move some magnets around. Till that day.. nope.

The devils advocate in me does think the forward line could do with learning some "defence-craft" and actually lock the ball in.. and maybe those 2 could set some standards up there... but still nope. 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back