MRP / Trib. James Sicily - 3 weeks for dangerous tackle - SUSPENSION STANDS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway it’s killed our season
Not at all! Our season has been great... more than most thought it could be... and about what I thought it might be.
The number of positives of this season, so far, are too many to write (I’m happy to write them if you ask)

Our build is clear for all to see. No commentator or luminary of the sport sees the Hawks as anything but a team setting up for a premiership tilt in the coming years.

robiecampbellbrown Killed our season! We were never going to win anything this year Or next. But our development continues.

Not at all! Our season has been great... more than most thought it could be... and about what I thought it might be.
The number of positives of this season, so far, are too many to write (I’m happy to write them if you ask)

Our build is clear for all to see. No commentator or luminary of the sport sees the Hawks as anything but a team setting up for a premiership tilt in the coming years.

robiecampbellbrown Killed our season! We were never going to win anything this year Or next. But our development continues.
Agree with this + my thinking has been it's better we get these stupid suspensions this year and hopefully get a better luck of the draw in future seasons when we are actually competing as contenders.

The answer to all of this is simple = if a player is concussed by a tackle then the player that was involved in the tackle that caused the concussion has to sit out a week, irrespective of the validity of the tackle. This will stop the intent to bury a player in a tackle.

No commentator / past player / umpire on the field thought Sic should have been rubbed out for 3 weeks. He did everything right until he held on too long.

1 week was the right sanction.
No, 0 weeks was the right sanction. It was a legal tackle that earned a free kick.

No, 0 weeks was the right sanction. It was a legal tackle that earned a free kick.

Correct. The AFL has already let sling tackles go since then because no one's head hit the ground. Now the media is analysing every tackle to see if the blade of grass is moved by a lock of hair.

I would like to believe that the people in AFL management are not so dull-witted that they cannot see this mess that has been created. All I can think is that they ended up here by little steps, most likely trying to avoid long-term liability for concussions, and have found themselves locked into this ridiculousness by current player agreements to limit future liability and past player liability settlements. I imagine they started off by offering to outlaw dangerous tackling but between past players arguing everything is dangerous and current players not wanting to sacrifice potential recoveries in the event they end up with long-term injuries, the AFL slowly pivoted toward punishing outcomes as the only action which met agreement on all parties and offered some defendable position for the AFL to limit future liability.

One small, innocuous step followed another and here we are. Anyone who pushed back on the approach was probably labelled a monster who didn't care about head trauma, so the echo chamber intensified. And now here we find ourselves. Taking actions that probably have some sort of legal validity based on past settlements and current contracts, but are obviously non-sensical, do little to prevent head trauma as they don't take any action until after a concussion is realised, and are destroying the fabric of the game. Yea! for consensus.

Correct. The AFL has already let sling tackles go since then because no one's head hit the ground. Now the media is analysing every tackle to see if the blade of grass is moved by a lock of hair.

I would like to believe that the people in AFL management are not so dull-witted that they cannot see this mess that has been created. All I can think is that they ended up here by little steps, most likely trying to avoid long-term liability for concussions, and have found themselves locked into this ridiculousness by current player agreements to limit future liability and past player liability settlements. I imagine they started off by offering to outlaw dangerous tackling but between past players arguing everything is dangerous and current players not wanting to sacrifice potential recoveries in the event they end up with long-term injuries, the AFL slowly pivoted toward punishing outcomes as the only action which met agreement on all parties and offered some defendable position for the AFL to limit future liability.

One small, innocuous step followed another and here we are. Anyone who pushed back on the approach was probably labelled a monster who didn't care about head trauma, so the echo chamber intensified. And now here we find ourselves. Taking actions that probably have some sort of legal validity based on past settlements and current contracts, but are obviously non-sensical, do little to prevent head trauma as they don't take any action until after a concussion is realised, and are destroying the fabric of the game. Yea! for consensus.
The stupid thing is, a fine sends the exact same anti-litigation message.

The stupid thing is, a fine sends the exact same anti-litigation message.

Possibly, but there has been a dramatic shift from fines to suspensions this year. Like a complete flip from 90% fines, 10% suspensions to 10/90. I suspect that after a couple of years of fining outcomes, the stats indicate that there was no reduction in head trauma, maybe even an increase as players go faster and harder every year. So now the AFL has turned the sanction dial up to 11, likely to argue against future liability.

I think the better solution for the AFL would have been to set up a liability fund, similar to the NFL where players or families get up to $4m from concussion outcomes, but they are going down this prevention route instead to seemingly try and avoid any lawsuit. But maybe the NFL solution was unique to US tort law and a similar mechanism isn't available here. Or maybe because the AFL seems to face no long-term liability for non-head debilitating injuries, the AFL didn't want to open that can of worms.

Sicily tackles McCluggage and has about 1.5 seconds to decide to let go of him which unfortunately ends up in him being concussed - 3 week suspension.

Nank has eyes only for Lloyd as he utensils his shoulder to one would hope shoulder him side on but unfortunately for Lloyd clips his chin and concusses him and has to be subbed out. Nank then plays out the game and plays an important part in winning the game for the Tigers.

If the AFL is now suspending players by the consequence of an action then that’s 3-4 weeks minimum and there’s nothing anyone can say to change my mind. However you can bet your house he’ll only get 2 weeks 😂

Oh Geead I greatly wanted to agree with you. But Luck is a poor man’s (sorry human’s) excuse for failure.
Geead, let us hope that luck has nothing to do with Sam Mitchell’s rebuild of our list. The parts are coming together.
bradbury.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything you say is true and correct. It was a lunge-tackle on the hip and hold. 100% perfect.

But our game is under attack in the courts. Some Ex players are wanting their cake after eating it.
Others have real issues that may have come from their working life… like asbestos from the blue-sky mines.

1 week works for me to stop the pull down.
No, a fine would have the exact same effect in terms of ex-player litigation

Everything you say is true and correct. It was a lunge-tackle on the hip and hold. 100% perfect.

But our game is under attack in the courts. Some Ex players are wanting their cake after eating it.
Others have real issues that may have come from their working life… like asbestos from the blue-sky mines.

1 week works for me to stop the pull down.
It won’t do anything to stop the current court cases. And I’d be interest to see how many of the CTE deaths had no major concussions (ie issue is subconcussive head impact) which means the only way to avoid is to avoid any head contact ie impossible

View attachment 1718928

There’s been no official rule change, but the numbers behind the AFL’s tackle crackdown are clear. Find out how and why things are changing.

Dangerous tackle suspensions have quadrupled this season as the AFL urges players to modify their tackle technique to help limit head knocks.

In a move strongly backed by AFL PA president Patrick Dangerfield, the league has handed out 23 suspensions and four fines to players across the first 14 rounds this season.
We've had 4 more games and at least two 3 week suspensions added to R14, the way they are going there'll be no one on the ground.
I don't know a person I have ever met that played any grade of football that hasn't been hurt, or many, including myself, knocked out.

He’s such an incredible player. Still some rough edges as captain but his reading of the play and positioning is as good as I’ve seen. Several times yesterday even before Richmond kicked it I knew Sicily was going to end up intercepting.
Yep i just called his name and yelled out Sic everytime he was in the contest and was vindicated most times. He's a bloody star

Best all round defender in the comp.
Not really the thread for it tbh, but whatever - last year I outlined the reasons I felt he should have been All Australian and also the reason why he probably didn't make it. Same goes this year.

He's playing the stopper, the interceptor and the rebounder / prime ball mover all in one. He's the only bloke in the AFL expected to do all 3 and the fact that he's elite at all 3 is what puts him a head in front of guys like Taylor and May who stop and intercept, or Stewart who intercepts and rebounds. He almost single handedly stopped us from losing that game. He's a gun.

Not really the thread for it tbh, but whatever - last year I outlined the reasons I felt he should have been All Australian and also the reason why he probably didn't make it. Same goes this year.

He's playing the stopper, the interceptor and the rebounder / prime ball mover all in one. He's the only bloke in the AFL expected to do all 3 and the fact that he's elite at all 3 is what puts him a head in front of guys like Taylor and May who stop and intercept, or Stewart who intercepts and rebounds. He almost single handedly stopped us from losing that game. He's a gun.
He'll slap the Saints again this week. They'll try to tag him for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back