MRP / Trib. James Sicily - 3 weeks for dangerous tackle - SUSPENSION STANDS!

Remove this Banner Ad

De Goey only got 3 and his conduct was far worse. Elected to go past the player, left the ground and bumped him straight to the head knocking him out.

I think Sicily’s is worth 1 week at most - but McCluggage being concussed makes the penalty disproportionate to the action.

Same for Rhyan Mansell on Aish last night. He nearly got the footy and braced when he realised he was 1/10th of a second off getting there before Aish.

One week would suffice for both Sicily and Mansell, but the concussion result is adding more weeks when it doesn’t reflect the action of the player.

It’s getting really silly now.

It's gone straight to the tribunal. Which is 3+ weeks minimum.
Tribunal is minimum 3+ weeks - where is that from? Is that a real thing?

Also, you can't mount a defence at MRO. I see this as quite a unique incident, that deserves to be tested within the AFL's judicial system, not simply awarded a nominal penalty - that's why it's been referred.

Last edited:
Tribunal is not a minimum 3+ weeks though - where is that from?

Also, you can't mount a defence at MRO. I see this as quite a unique incident, that deserves to be tested within the AFL's judicial system, not simply awarded a nominal penalty - that's why it's been referred.
General footy fan is a parrot. Media says it's 3 plus, so the fan repeats it.

The truth is it can be referred because the suspension does not match the grid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn wasn’t in the comp wouldn’t even watch the AFL, use to watch a lot games each week, but have lost interest over past few years, would be lucky to watch more than 3 games each week now, getting to stage I will be only watching Hawthorn games
I haven't watched a full game in 3 years outside of hawks games. I even called it 3 years ago, and a lot of people said I was overreacting because it was covid. Some did support my view though

Nothing quite like an incident like this to shine a spotlight on people that have clearly never played football or done much of anything remotely athletic.

The opinions getting around on what Sic could have done differently are hilarious.

So this has been sent straight to the tribunal with a grading of:
  1. Careless Conduct – I would think that careless conduct would take some thought of pre-meditation. The tackle happened in a split second so Sic must be the Flash to act that quick.
  2. Severe Impact – You cannot argue that the impact wasn't severe when he got KO'd so this I can stomach but the impact wouldn't have happened if he put one of his free hands out to stop it happening.
  3. Hight Contact – Sic will be the first player in AFL history for causing hight contact while being on the ground when tackling 😂😂😂

If the tribunal does what I expect they will and hand out a ludicrously over the top 3 week suspension I will be absolutely filthy if we don’t appeal hard.

Surely if there was ever a time for our club to grow some cohackies with regards to appealing tribunal decisions that would be the time.

If the tribunal does what I expect they will and hand out a ludicrously over the top 3 week suspension I will be absolutely filthy if we don’t appeal hard.

Surely if there was ever a time for our club to grow some cohackies with regards to appealing tribunal decisions that would be the time.

I'd go a step further. Give a presser saying it is a joke of a suspension, tell the fans to stop supporting this nonsense.

You'd happily cop the fine from the AFL being left red faced

1. Careless Conduct – I would think that careless conduct would take some thought of pre-meditation. The tackle happened in a split second so Sic must be the Flash to act that quick.
  2. Severe Impact – You cannot argue that the impact wasn't severe when he got KO'd so this I can stomach but the impact wouldn't have happened if he put one of his free hands out to stop it happening.
  3. Hight Contact – Sic will be the first player in AFL history for causing hight contact while being on the ground when tackling 😂😂😂
Severe impact fair enough but the other two gradings are absolutely taking the p..s

As you say how it’s a fair effort from Sicily to cause high contact when tackling from the ground. He’s good but not that good!

It’s high contact because it was McCluggage’s head that hit the ground. Same with all the tackles that players have gone for.

The only thing we can really argue here is whether it was careless or not. Sicily is either getting bulk weeks because of the damage done or getting off.

Hopefully our lawyers are up for it this time. As if we take our current form in he won’t play the rest of the year.

1 thing I don't get. How does mcluggage go from falling backwards to having his head under his chest?
The momentum does not have him falling forward.
It reminds me of the knights player I'm the nrl vs the storm who paralysed himself trying to milk the penalty

Tribunal is minimum 3+ weeks - where is that from? Is that a real thing?

Severe grading with high contact is an automatic 3+ week penalty which gets automatically referred to the tribunal. The MRO can only hand out 1 and 2 game penalties. Same as the Mansell hit on Aish.

It’s so the more severe incidents can get more accurately graded rather than having to fit into the matrix used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back