• Damn you Sleepy Mark!

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Hail GIGAMARK!

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • What? When was that on?

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You could argue all the moves we made were necessary sideways trades.

Upside is massive on Chol and Ginnivan if they can fully adapt and thrive in our system under Sam.

Gunston offers genuine leadership and experience which is priceless for a young, developing side.

Retaining pick 4, McCabe and next years first is the best part. Elite end talent still to add to the list.

I think we tried our asses off to make something happen but it's very rare for bottom 4 teams to get top line players

I do think this is the way you attract top end players.
While "unattractive" get players to the club that increase your skill floor then acquire top end talent through the draft.
Back natural improvement of the young players you do have.
If we're pushing for finals next year we'd be a very attractive destination with a very large cap.

Elder…
Firstly we must define the term Win = a successful result
Now define success = the good or bad outcome of an Undertaking. Clearly the undertaking was the trade period given the circumstances before the undertaking started (Brockman and Kozi wanting out and Chol wanting in) and so…

Define the situation and result:
  • Brockman wanted out and we had no leverage… and got a good result.
  • I had personally packed Kozi’s bags for him mid-season but he improved late… anything for Kozi was a bonus for me.
  • Chol is a significant upgrade on Kozi, depending on the effort Chol put in.
  • Brockman has a greater ceiling than Ginni but Ginni has a higher floor. Limited ceilings have not stopped a number of other Hawks become significant players.
  • Could Ryan become a dominant fwd in the AFL, who knows… I think likely not… cashing in his chips was a good move for mine. If he proves us wrong, so be it.
  • Massi for late picks is OK
  • Gunna coming back is good
  • I’d have preferred to not have lost our F2 but frankly, with the team we could field in 2024, there may not be a huge difference to the woods F2.
  • But I like that we now have points to cover a Dodo bid on McCabe at 9(11). You don’t build a house in a cyclone zone (QLD) to cope with a sunny day (Pick 15 on McCabe). see how I meshed that ..

VandoHawk: I hope you don’t mind my using and modifying the below.

Overall: I think the Trade Period for the Hawks was a success. On a +ve and -ve scale from +3 to - 3 and where 0 is neutral, I’m a +1.

Ins
Ginnivan
Chol
Gunston
Massimo
Pick 44
Pick 47
Pick 49
Pick 62
Pick 63
Collingwood 2024 Second

Outs
Brockman
Koschitzke
Ryan
Pick 33
Pick 54
2024 Second
2024 Third
2024 Fourth

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+Chol and +Ginnivan are a good result, both should help advance us up the ladder and keep the fans entertained.
-Kosi and -Brocky is fair, they wanted to go and weren't doing enough here to be untouchable.
-Ryan the sample size is too small, he could be the next JPod, he could have reached his peak already. Good luck to him in his new club.
+Gunston is a mistake, it's like going back to an ex... they were an ex for a reason, and a year on they are still the same ex, just a year older.
+Masso is an unknown. I find the * unwatchable these days so I have no idea what he's like, but anyone half decent that wants out of that shithole enough to come across and have a go here is welcome. Just give him a baygon bath on the way in pls.

Pretty good score for us here for what that’s worth. Ch7 also rated us reasonably highly.
This is their analysis, not mine.

HAWTHORN

Who left: Tyler Brockman (trade, West Coast), Jacob Koschitzke (trade, Richmond), Brandon Ryan (trade, Brisbane Lions)

Who arrived: Jack Ginnivan (trade, Collingwood), Jack Gunston (trade, Brisbane Lions), Mabior Chol (trade, Gold Coast), Massimo D’Ambrosio (trade, Essendon)

Draft picks owned: 4, 44, 47, 49, 62, 63

David King says: “I think Hawthorn have done really well (with Ginnivan). It’s a steal for them. I like the way he plays, but he’s got to be more back page and less front page … I don’t understand it (the Gunston trade), to be blunt about it. Jack has achieved everything in our game. It didn’t work at Brisbane and he wanted to come home. I know he can play serious footy and he can probably have another four-goal game across the journey next year, but how many games does he take off and development hours at Hawthorn? That’s what concerns me. They’re on the fast-track model to rebuild in a two to three-year window – otherwise the heat is going to come on Sam Mitchell. I think he’ll look back at this decision (Gunston) in two to three years’ time and think: ‘Was it a good one or not?’ I think the ruthless Hawthorn of old would’ve said ‘not for us’.”

Leigh Montagna says: “He (Gunston) is going to be a mentor in that forward line, that’s why they’ve got him back. How much of his best football we’re going to see, I’m not sure. It’s an interesting one for me, we’ve spoken about where they’re at with their rebuild – and now they’ve gone and got someone who’s 32 years of age … (Chol) is another big risk for me for Hawthorn. There’s a reason he’s only played he’s 60 games in eight years. He’s inconsistent, a lot of people have seen his effort fluctuate, he’s a guy that can kick goals when the team is going really well. We talk about Gunston coming back at 32, we know Luke Breust is 33, Chad Wingard is 30 – now they’re bringing in a 27-year-old who I’m not sold on. I’m really curious to see what their play is with this trade period … The upside on some players. Particularly Chol and Ginnivan, we know the talent is there. It’s just a question of consistency and doing it week-in, week-out at AFL level at a team that’s probably still; a few years away from being a finals team. They went after Ben McKay and Esava Ratugolea and Liam Henry and didn’t land them and they lost Brockman, so it probably hasn’t been as successful as they would’ve liked. A bit of a hit and miss period for the Hawks.”

My thought: David King is the bad cop: gets out of bed and takes a pay check to make pot shots at clubs while talking crap. And that is his job. To be controversial.
Lea Montagna is the good cop: a reasoned outside opinion.

Geelong fox described their strategy as a failure and destined to be th e next west coast

C- They will never be rated below that

In hindsight king on hawks says Gunston is a departure from the forward looking strategy set last year - which they rated d +

Our Forward line come finals could feature..

Gunston Lewis Wingard
Breust Chol Ginnivan

That combination has some serious star power and swagger that no opposition team would want to face. This foward line has kicked over 1,500+ goals combined with 30+ finals experience and 7 flags!

So in summary yes I'm satisfied with this trade period

I do think this is the way you attract top end players.
While "unattractive" get players to the club that increase your skill floor then acquire top end talent through the draft.
Back natural improvement of the young players you do have.
If we're pushing for finals next year we'd be a very attractive destination with a very large cap.
No question it makes it easier, but ease is not the be all, we have to be continually smart and indeed, brutal.

Back