Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went with Morrison based on the rain forecast which makes sense, although Rama now misses a week of football in terms of his development which isn't the ideal situation. Reckon he'd be feeling pretty stiff about it.
This! Glad you mentioned it because I was thinking the same thing - it kills me when a developing kid gets pulled from the 2s to play 1s and doesn't end up making the final team. It's so counter productive to development, momentum and continuity.

This! Glad you mentioned it because I was thinking the same thing - it kills me when a developing kid gets pulled from the 2s to play 1s and doesn't end up making the final team. It's so counter productive to development, momentum and continuity.
I think Ramma would rather be under consideration for the Afl team and just miss out then just play VFL this week. It shows he was under real consideration and he is real close to breaking into the side. He will be the carry over emergency It provides real motivation for Ramma and he gains a lot of confidence that the coaches are looking at him as an option. He will play VFL next week if thats the go with reneewed vigour.

I think Ramma would rather be under consideration for the Afl team and just miss out then just play VFL this week. It shows he was under real consideration and he is real close to breaking into the side. He will be the carry over emergency It provides real motivation for Ramma and he gains a lot of confidence that the coaches are looking at him as an option. He will play VFL next week if thats the go with reneewed vigour.
No VfL next week as the state league game is happening, which means he won’t play for a fortnight. While it is great he was in consideration to play, and he was close, if not in the side before the rain forecast changed, he misses a fortnight which means he falls back in the pecking order. Happened a few times last year to Ned Long.

Alarm bells if we can’t win that midfield battle. Hawkins, Cameron and Stewart cut us up? I can live with that. They are champion players, which we don’t have. But if we lower colours to that midfield, it is a serious regression. They have a clear edge at both ends of the ground but we should win that midfield battle
Yep with the exclusion of Reeves and Day our Midfield carved up Collingwood last year. Newcombe and Nash seriously need to lift and crash in hard. Meek should be able to take car of Conway.

I think a lot of our midfield success last year was Reeves winning in the ruck which he couldn't do the last 2 weeks against some top level experienced rucks but also I think the new rules have hurt him a bit. And without ruck dominance our midfield setup has looked poor defensively.

It actually reminds me a bit of how we were with Everitt years ago, we looked really good in the middle because he was dominant so Hodge, Mitchell Crawford did well but we didn't have other areas done. When he left we had to retrain mids to deal with break even rucks so Mitchell and co adapted so even when up against nic nat and sandilands we could lose ruck and win midfield battle.

1 think that I think sets our midfield apart from others now is that we have lots of height, sometimes Reeves would outreach opponent for hitout and Nash or Day would take the hit out at highest point and so shorter mids couldn't get hads on it.

No VfL next week as the state league game is happening, which means he won’t play for a fortnight. While it is great he was in consideration to play, and he was close, if not in the side before the rain forecast changed, he misses a fortnight which means he falls back in the pecking order. Happened a few times last year to Ned Long.
Mate trust me players would rather be under consideration than not. He will learn more on the bench i am sure and will be part of all the game day stuf including all the meetings and general discussions

Should be an interesting game. Not much love for the Geelong midfield on either board but Blicavs Parfitt OConnor Atkins Duncan all won a premiership 18 months ago and Holmes should have. Conway in Ruck is highly rated and we have 3 first round picks in Bruhn Bowes and Clark with Miers and Close pushing up the ground. IF you guys click you will cause us trouble with your ball movement though. Nothing like Easter Monday to level the playing field, can’t wait for this one.

Mate trust me players would rather be under consideration than not. He will learn more on the bench i am sure and will be part of all the game day stuf including all the meetings and general discussions
Definitely not saying he won’t be learning by watching and being part of meetings - it’s what they’re doing with McCabe at present as he can’t play. I just think that he would prefer to have played some game time on the weekend and thrown his hand up to be in consideration. Very tough to be selected next week if he’s had no game time. Post match I’m sure he and the sub will do their allocated running but it isn’t the same.

what/how?! the VFL season is 2 weeks old.

oh, just to tie in with Gather Round. :speechless:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not saying he won’t be learning by watching and being part of meetings - it’s what they’re doing with McCabe at present as he can’t play. I just think that he would prefer to have played some game time on the weekend and thrown his hand up to be in consideration. Very tough to be selected next week if he’s had no game time. Post match I’m sure he and the sub will do their allocated running but it isn’t the same.
Yes but its never about the next game. Ramma is looking to the future like the club and thd fact the club see that Ramma can fill a role in that future will fill him with confidence.

Its frustrating with no VFL next week but i am just looking at this as a player. I want to be in the firsts even as an emergency.

Yes but its never about the next game. Ramma is looking to the future like the club and thd fact the club see that Ramma can fill a role in that future will fill him with confidence.

Its frustrating with no VFL next week but i am just looking at this as a player. I want to be in the firsts even as an emergency.
I can see your point of view 4P - I'm looking at it from a teacher point of view where you see a student making great progress and then they miss a few weeks and you have to start to build that momentum and continuity again. Think both of these things are possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back