Preview Round 2, 2024: Hawthorn v Melbourne, MCG 4.35pm 23rd March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he came back I think Gunston was always going to be a regular sub option. Has the flexibility to go forward or back and then pushes one of the many running options we have forward and back further up into the action
Much more logical choice for sub than Finn at the very least.

ROUND 2 TEAM
Hawthorn v Melbourne
Saturday 23 March, 4.35pm AEDT
MCG

FB: Josh Weddle, Sam Frost, James Sicily
HB: Jarman Impey, Jack Scrimshaw, Massimo D'Ambrosio
C: Karl Amon, Dylan Moore, Connor Macdonald
HF: Jack Ginnivan, Mitch Lewis, Conor Nash
FF: Luke Breust, Mabior Chol, Nick Watson
R: Ned Reeves, Jai Newcombe, James Worpel
INT: Cam Mackenzie, Jack Gunston, Josh Ward, Finn Maginness, Blake Hardwick

Emer: Max Ramsden, Henry Hustwaite, Harry Morrison

As expected, no change.

Only question is who will be sub. Gunston or Mackenzie seem most likely, depending on how Gunston has pulled up.

Pressure is probably on Nash and Ward this week, not to up their disposal count but certainly to put more pressure on the ball carrier. Worps, Newc, and Finn will, they need to come to the party for us to have any chance.

As expected, no change.

Only question is who will be sub. Gunston or Mackenzie seem most likely, depending on how Gunston has pulled up.

Pressure is probably on Nash and Ward this week, not to up their disposal count but certainly to put more pressure on the ball carrier. Worps, Newc, and Finn will, they need to come to the party for us to have any chance.
Out of those listed on the bench I’d prefer Ward as sub. MacKenzie never had an impact on the game when used as a sub last year. And I would like the luxury of throwing Gunston back if needed throughout the game.

Let’s hope Watson kicks a goal this week, the pressure is building for him to get one through the big sticks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if they'll play all of Brown, JVR, Petty & McDonald forward to stretch our defence. Would be a worry if our mids are getting smashed but would give us an advantage on the rebound where we were statistically strong last week.

re the sub, Hawthorn website says that "Max Ramsden, Henry Hustwaite, Harry Morrison make up the club’s emergency list for Round 2, with one of those players to be named the medical sub one hour prior to the match." If this does turn out to be the case, hope it's Hustwaite.

Last edited:
re the sub, Hawthorn website says that "Max Ramsden, Henry Hustwaite, Harry Morrison make up the club’s emergency list for Round 2, with one of those players to be named the medical sub one hour prior to the match." If this does turn to be the case, hope it's Hustwaite.

That’s a mistake based upon the rules of last year by whoever has written it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back