Unofficial Preview Round 1, 2024: Bombers v Hawks, MCG 1:10pm Sat 16th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone throws mud at the bombers every time we play them.
King just hates Brad Scott. And vice versa.

I am confident we can win this game. Their midfield without Parish is weak. If Finn takes Merrett out of the game, I think we can get on top in the middle and hope the new look forward line can get the job done. They don't have forwards that concern me greatly with our weak defence. Ultimately, I think Essendon are a bog average side.

King just hates Brad Scott. And vice versa.

I am confident we can win this game. Their midfield without Parish is weak. If Finn takes Merrett out of the game, I think we can get on top in the middle and hope the new look forward line can get the job done. They don't have forwards that concern me greatly with our weak defence. Ultimately, I think Essendon are a bog average side.
I think they’re probably better than that if they’re up and running.

I hope we catch them off guard.

We've got no excuses for putting in an embarrassing performance like last season. If we look at the ins/outs for us compared to last season I think we look much better on paper.

No Greene, Kosi, Meek or Bramble.

Though no Day, CJ, Blanck or Wingard too are losses. Day in particular.

But we have replaced that group with Lewis, Chol, Ginnivan, Watson, Scrimshaw, Weddle, D'Ambrosio and Gunston.

Only four, max, of the players missing would be getting games now - Day, CJ, Blanck and Wingard (?).

Essendon are going to miss Parish, Ridley, and Draper in particular, but also BZT and Shiel IMO.

I think their ins probably just outweigh those losses overall, as McKay, Stringer, 2MP, Gresham and Goldy are all experienced players who could have a big impact on the game. Who knows how Duursma, Reid, Tsatas or Cox will go though.
Don’t forget though that McCartney has foreseen a probable slow start to the season with a forward line that needs some time together and a Day-less midfield which does take away some of our centre square strength.

We really do need big games from Newk, Nash, Worpel and Frenchy in the middle to give our forwards a chance.

Anyone else going to miss this game due to playing a cricket final? Absolute BS scheduling. Need a massive lift from Nash and Worpel(and Ward) without Day. Newk can’t carry the midfield by himself like he did in that last practice game.
Unless your cricket final is getting bumped from the MCG due to 80,000 people attending our opening game, I can’t see the AFL being sympathetic to their 1.45pm Saturday afternoon kick off clashing with your cricket commitment.

Pretty pumped, heading down to watch tomorrow.
I honestly have no idea We'll be like tomorrow. If you told me we'd win by 5+ goals, I'd probably agree. If you said we'd lose but that amount, I'd struggle to disagree.
It's a genuine mystery

I think their ins probably just outweigh those losses overall, as McKay, Stringer, 2MP, Gresham and Goldy are all experienced players who could have a big impact on the game. Who knows how Duursma, Reid, Tsatas or Cox will go though.
Both these 2 played last year - I'm sure they're not 'ins'

All on our midfield.
If they can at least provide a contest, we win easily

They roll over, and we lose by 10 goals
Not sure. Reckon they have enough tallish forwards to trouble us (and enough to keep Sicily honest). And if we bomb it in forward their backline looks better in the air. Pretty even contest across the park.

Can’t see the bombers not turning up. They finished season poorly, and this is their most winnable game til round 8.
Should be pretty hot and physical early.

Not sure. Reckon they have enough tallish forwards to trouble us (and enough to keep Sicily honest). And if we bomb it in forward their backline looks better in the air. Pretty even contest across the park.

Can’t see the bombers not turning up. They finished season poorly, and this is their most winnable game til round 8.
Should be pretty hot and physical early.
Their backline looks better than Chol + Lewis in the air?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been doing a lot of analysis ahead of this game and I’m very confident that the game will be decided by the scoreboard.

Get them on the scoreboard and we’ll win this.

Ready for the emotional rollercoaster tomorrow.

Scrimshaw with a good task stopping stringer. He's the only threat unless Wright decides to have a big day. Their smalls I can't see being that dangerous.

A lot of heavy lifting for Martin, Caldwell, Perkins and Setterfield with Merrett carrying Finn around all day.

Two bean poles in McKay and 8 game player Reid for them down back. Small ball time.

Go hawkies

Ready for the emotional rollercoaster tomorrow.

Scrimshaw with a good task stopping stringer. He's the only threat unless Wright decides to have a big day. Their smalls I can't see being that dangerous.

A lot of heavy lifting for Martin, Caldwell, Perkins and Setterfield with Merrett carrying Finn around all day.

Two bean poles in McKay and 8 game player Reid for them down back. Small ball time.

Go hawkies
We're doomed if this eventuates. Far too quick/slimy for Scrimmers.

Edit: OK, so maybe not 'doomed'. But Stringer is farr to crafty (& genuinely slimy) for Scrimshaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back