MRP / Trib. James Sicily - 3 weeks for dangerous tackle - SUSPENSION STANDS!

Remove this Banner Ad

People ringing SEN asking the same question, and you can hear the pipe trying so hard not to agree as the logic from the callers/texts is quite good
Yep - Rohan made the decision to bump, and should be made to own the consequences; being a teammate or opponent doesn't change the outcome.

Interesting... watershed moment for the integrity of the AFL.... oh nevermind.

The courts sure as hell aren't going to forgive brain injuries caused by teammates and only punish brain injuries caused by opponents.

Huge integrity test here for the AFL, but I don't think anyone is hopeful.

My brief perusal of the rules indicates he could be reported under rule 22.2.2(ix); "Making unreasonable or unnecessary contact to the face of another person". Which he did in a very forceful way.

It seems to be one of the few "contact" rules which mentions "person" rather than "opposition player".
Not only that, he blindly went into a contest with no care for his teammate or opponent.
Reckless conduct, high contact, high impact.

Noone thinks he should be rubbed out. Everyone is sick of the afls justification for other suspensions

Suspending Rohan would be daft. It was an accident. Suspending Sicily was just as daft. It was a legal football act with an accidental concussion.

Hopefully this incident gets the AFL "brain trust" to see the light that Blind Freddy can't miss. Legal football acts resulting in accidental concussions shouldn't result in any kind of suspension.

I don't want to see any player suspended for an accident. But if the AFL want to play hard ball with us then I expect them to do the same with every other club.

Rohan was reckless. He concussed his own teammate, so he clearly had no control over his action.

The contact region and impact level are not in question. It should be graded the same as Sicily's tackle. Straight to the tribunal.

Even if you can't get suspended for a hit on your own teammate, under the AFL's clause for "potential for injury" it's clear what the potential result would've been had he collected an opposition player instead. Something that could have just as easily happened given Rohan had so little control over his action that he couldn't even avoid taking out his teammate.

It's not too late for the AFL to wake the * up, acknowledge that accidents happen, and let Sicily off so he can play Sunday.

I don't want to see any player suspended for an accident. But if the AFL want to play hard ball with us then I expect them to do the same with every other club.

Rohan was reckless. He concussed his own teammate, so he clearly had no control over his action.

The contact region and impact level are not in question. It should be graded the same as Sicily's tackle. Straight to the tribunal.

Even if you can't get suspended for a hit on your own teammate, under the AFL's clause for "potential for injury" it's clear what the potential result would've been had he collected an opposition player instead. Something that could have just as easily happened given Rohan had so little control over his action that he couldn't even avoid taking out his teammate.

It's not too late for the AFL to wake the * up, acknowledge that accidents happen, and let Sicily off so he can play Sunday.
Even wait a week so the "optics" are there, then come out and say they got it wrong

It's an interesting point that people are making about Rohan's collision with Cameron. They are using the term "friendly fire", but just because it was a teammate it's okay? If he's been wearing a Melbourne jumper, he'd be fronting the tribunal right now.
My brief perusal of the rules indicates he could be reported under rule 22.2.2(ix); "Making unreasonable or unnecessary contact to the face of another person". Which he did in a very forceful way.

It seems to be one of the few "contact" rules which mentions "person" rather than "opposition player".
I guess it is designed to cover umpires, officials and spectators as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a mess.

Created by the A.F.L. punishing Sicily for a random outcome.
My opinion is that the guy Sicily tackled was more than likely in the process of 'going limp' and sending his own head into the turf (as is the trend lately) to 'win' a free, then the 3rd man in added extra momentum and screwed that split second decision royally.

Friendly fire is a thing that can happen...so of course Rohan shouldn't be suspended...or should he? Because he certainly hit that contest in a way that would have resulted in similar damage to the Melbourne player...it was a reckless attack on the contest, so much so they wouldn't even show the replay at first! with huge potential for injury...and did achieve that just not the way Rohan would have hoped for.
But the only team that gets called for potential ,ever, are the Hawks.

When Barret mentions the apparent irony, you know there's a big problem.

My opinion is that the guy Sicily tackled was more than likely in the process of 'going limp' and sending his own head into the turf (as is the trend lately) to 'win' a free,
That's one hell of a stretch...

I'm trying to understand why they interchangeably use 'person' in some circumstances and 'opponent' in others.

1687516737114.png

Charlie Cameron was slung to the ground in a tackle late tonight and hit his head. TV not showing the replay despite Cameron being in the hands of trainers after the tackle

I'm not sure I understand what more time for deceleration means?

It's also fairly well studied that neither soft headgear, as worn in the AFL or more commonly the NRL, nor hard helmets like those worn in the NFL, reduce concussions and even less CTE accumulated over time.

I dont really understand either, I guess maybe its like stepping on the break just before you hit a tree, you still hit just at 55kph not 60kph.
As far as the studies go apparently (I'm just quoting here) "It's hardly robust data".

I dont really understand either, I guess maybe its like stepping on the break just before you hit a tree, you still hit just at 55kph not 60kph.
As far as the studies go apparently (I'm just quoting here) "It's hardly robust data".
That's silly. Using his argument, Trent Cotchin's hair makes him less prone to concussions and Gary Ablett Jr would have been getting them left right and centre.

Well the most robust argument you can give him is the ongoing class actions in the NFL regardless of their wearing soft and then hard helmets for over a century.

That's silly. Using his argument, Trent Cotchin's hair makes him less prone to concussions and Gary Ablett Jr would have been getting them left right and centre.

Well the most robust argument you can give him is the ongoing class actions in the NFL regardless of their wearing soft and then hard helmets for over a century.
It’s Newtons 2nd law of motion. Force = mass x acceleration. Acceleration = change in velocity/time. The foam in an NFL/cycling/football helmet compresses to some extent on impact and slightly increases the time taken for the head to change from being in motion to being stationary. This reduces the rate of deceleration and in turn the force exerted on the head. It’s the same principle behind crumple zones and airbags in cars.
Clearly the effect is limited as you rightly point out from the NFL experience (although I don’t think it could be argued that the effects that would have been seen if American football players had been deliberately crashing head on head into each other with no protection would have been far worse).
The latest generation of NFL helmets have flexible shell components and more deformable foam liners to increase the beneficial effect. It might be worth the AFL exploring and sponsoring some R&D into new helmet technology and design that would be usable in their sport. Especially if they want to demonstrate they’ve left no stone unturned in their quest to reduce concussions.

I'm trying to understand why they interchangeably use 'person' in some circumstances and 'opponent' in others.

View attachment 1720289
The MRO would have to class Jeremy Cameron as a person first.

dailystruggg.jpg

This just reinforces the Sicily ruling. If the tackled player is hurt / concussed then you’re fcuked. The issue here is that the AFL isn’t ruling on the action and what could happen but rather the action and what did happen. It kind of makes even more of a joke of that Cyril ruling all those years ago but yeah water is wet and the sky is blue nothing to see here!

This just reinforces the Sicily ruling. If the tackled player is hurt / concussed then you’re fcuked. The issue here is that the AFL isn’t ruling on the action and what could happen but rather the action and what did happen. It kind of makes even more of a joke of that Cyril ruling all those years ago but yeah water is wet and the sky is blue nothing to see here!
You'll find there limited suspensions for the remainder of the year.
They normally have a big case about this time for the optics, then seem to forget everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

Back