Preview Hawks vs Dockers - Teams, Preview, Bartos & Gameday Thread **** It all happens here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elimination Final
Hawthorn vs Dockers

JKStatue009.jpg

Hawthorn

B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Thomas Murphy
HB: Brendan Whitecross, Josh Gibson, Ben Stratton
C: Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Clinton Young
HF: Shaun Burgoyne, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli
F: Michael Osborne, Jarryd Roughead, Chance Bateman
Foll: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Brad Sewell
I/C: Campbell Brown, Xavier Ellis, Carl Peterson, Wayde Skipper
Emg: Rick Ladson, Ryan Schoenmakers, Liam Shiels

In: Hodge
Out: Rhan Hooper (soreness)

Fremantle

B: Dylan Roberton, Antoni Grover, Ryan Crowley
HB: Roger Hayden, Luke McPharlin, Greg Broughton
C: Garrick Ibbotson, David Mundy, Stephen Hill
HF: Chris Mayne, Matthew Pavlich, Michael Walters
F: Jesse Crichton, Michael Johnson, Matthew de Boer
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Nick Suban, Paul Duffield
I/C: Adam McPhee, Alex Silvagni, Anthony Morabito, Nathan Fyfe
Emg: Kepler Bradley, Des Headland, Rhys Palmer

In: Crowley, Silvagni, Crichton
Out: Paul Hasleby, Hayden Ballantyne (foot), Jay van Berlo

screenhunter13sep021739.jpg

[YOUTUBE]R2RzO-DY72Q[/YOUTUBE]

Don't think, do.

We are Hawthorn. We are family. And this is our time.

It's been a testing year, what with our fluctuating form, rumbles of discontent, the specter of the Gold Coast hovering over one of our favourite sons and, just a couple of days ago, the son of a favourite son going off the rails. But we're Hawthorn, and we rise above adversity. We band together as a club, look after our own and take pride in that which has made us strong.

With that all said, we're doing the final threads slightly different. This will be a mega thread - teams, gameday, Bartos Report and preview. Once the game has concluded we'll open the usual post game threads.

Taking the controls for the trip over to Freemantle is Hawkinpired who's written a great preview. Joining him in the cabin will be Neviile Bartos, who, like a brewery, has been quietly fermenting away.

This is where we speculated on the possible changes.

Final training run in Melbourne.
Rusty headed on down.

So, without further ado, on with the show. Take it away Hawkinspired.

(Apologies, but you'll need to check back to the start of this thread as content gets uploaded.)

Give Hawkinspired a big thanks, folks.

Hawkinspired said:
Hawthorn Hawks vs Fremantle Dockers @ Subiaco, Perth.

History

Just a mere 2 weeks ago, A team or B Team, whatever it may be, was comprehensively beaten by 116 points. Fremantle’s equal biggest loosing margin and the greatest winning margin for 2010. Harvey has been quick with his antics by suggesting that while Hawthorn had showed its cards, Fremantle still have a closed hand. Rubbish. The scars are still there and he knows it!

Prior to that match the last 3 duels were all at Subiaco, with Hawthorn winning the last two by around 3 goals each time, and Freo last winning in 2007 by 16 points.

So far this season

Both teams have had contrasting trips to respective ladder positions of 6th and 7th. Hawthorn, with a one man ruck division managed just 1 win in there first 7 matches. Since then they have only lost 3 games in there last 15 outings. Freo on the other hand, only lost 1 of there first 7 matches and since then managed less than a 50/50 winning margin with 8 losses in 15 outings.

Injuries have contributed to poor form with both teams as Hawthorn relied on Brent Renouf as there only ruck option for rounds 1 to 7. Incapable of playing out a whole match the team relied upon players to change positions and pinch hit in the ruck. Even one match against North Melbourne left the 184cm Luke Hodge to ruck duties after Renouf was a late withdrawal with illness. Since Wade Skipper was made available in round 8 after a hamstring tear that required surgery, Hawthorn have only lost 3 games. He was actually dropped against Sydney to make way for the big bodied Simon Taylor in round 19. Further highlighting his importance, Hawthorn lost that game.

On Fremantle’s side, since the departure of Michael Barlow just 8 weeks ago, they have only managed 3 wins against bottom 8 sides in Melbourne and West Coast, and of course last weeks win against Carlton. Continuity has been a big problem with key players such as Ballantyne, Sandilands, Crowly, Broughton and Tarrant all missing games in the last half of the season. The question is for Fremantle, given they are pretty close to full strength now, can they recapture the form that saw them beat Geelong earlier in the season? A feat Hawthorn have not achieved since the 2008 Grand Final.

Gameplan

After heavy criticism throughout the season, Hawthorn looks like unveiling a multi-dimensional gameplan. We’ve seen them successfully switch from the zone to man on man, hug the boundary line in a Collingwood esk way and now after weeks of criticism the forward line actually looks functional again. We had 15 goals last week from only 41 entries to the forward 50. Franklin was used almost as a decoy but still managed a lazy 6 goals. If Hawthorn continues to be adaptable to their opposition and take advantage of Fremantle’s weak points they will mount on some early scoreboard pressure.

Match ups

From Hawthorns perspective;

MUNDY vs SEWELL

Mundy is the one we really need to get right on Saturday. If you don’t think he can play then maybe his 2010 All Australia nomination will refresh your memory. Of the Fremantle players he dominates in clearances and inside 50’s. Mundy is a big bodied mid and despite the size difference I believe Brad Sewell can take him out of the game.

SANDILANDS vs RENOUF

Sandilands is obviously going to win the hit outs. We will concede that. Don’t worry we won’t be getting Peterson in to jump over the top of the ruck contest! Renouf can win this contest by going forward and kicking a couple of goals and make Sandilands accountable. On the flip side we need to keep the big man out of Freo’s forward line because given our already undersized backline, a 211cm man would have a field day.

HILL vs ELLIS/YOUNG

Hill can do some damage and after last weeks performance I’d like to see Young and Ellis rotate on him. They both have pace and flair to keep him out of the contest as well as impacting the game on there own right.

PAVLICH vs GIBSON

This is probably the most interesting matchup. Pav is much like our own Buddy Franklin. He can run all day but very damaging up forward so we need someone that can follow him around the ground. We simply can’t afford to have Gilham taking him in the forward line and someone else in the midfield. Gibson can defend and has the tank to follow him. I doubt this match up will come to fruition by I’d certainly have a look at it.

From the Fremantle perspective;

Hawkinspired said:
HODGE vs MCPHEE

Hodge wasn’t happy about missing last week’s game and he will be out to have an impact. He does have a niggle with his knee but has been given the green light to play. I’d suggest McPhee or Crowley may get this match up. With so many elite mids in Hawthorns stable it’s hard to stop them all, but if they can stop Luke Hodge it would certainly help sway things Freo’s way.

FRANKLIN vs MCPHARLIN

We love McPharlin; after all he is responsible for our Captain and Vice Captain playing in the brown and gold! Buddy loves playing in his home state and has kicked 14 goals 5 in his last 3 outings with Fremantle. The ex Hawk will have the job on Buddy and if he can keep him quiet (Less than 3 goals) it would be a win for the docker.

BURGOYNE vs CROWLEY

Burgoyne is in scintillating form and absolutely destroyed the Dockers with a 37 disposal and 4 goal game against them just 2 weeks ago. Crowley is a good stopper and Fremantle just can’t afford to let this guy loose.

Wildcards

Rioli is just magic. 27 touches last week with 5 clearances, 6 inside 50’s and 2 goals. How this kid is doing what he is doing after carrying a groin injury and poor match fitness baffles me. When he is involved in a chain of possessions, Hawthorn have a scoring shot. I don’t know who or how Fremantle can possibly stop him.

Mayne on the other hand could really cause some trouble for us. Seems an unlikely candidate, but he is quick and plays taller than what he is. Good at ground level, quick on the lead and can take a strong grab. I’d prefer to use Stratton instead of Murphy but this could be a key match up.

Injuries

From the Hawks camp Hawthorn will regain vice captain Luke Hodge. Grant Birchall is still nursing a sore Hamstring and Brent Renouf should be good to go after a bad cork limited his game time on the weekend.

Freo will be missing fullback Chris Tarrant and Hayden Ballantyne as there seasons are most likely over. Barlow is also out for the season. Alex Silvagni and Ryan Crowley look ready to go after there respective injuries. Much to the disgust of Fremantle fans, Des Headland could also be in for a recall.

Likely Team Selection

HAWTHORN

FB: Gilham - Stratton - Guerra
HB: Murphy - Gibson - Hodge
Ce: Young - Mitchell - Bateman
HF: Lewis - Franklin - Burgoyne
FF: Hooper - Roughead - Osborne

Ru: Renouf
RR: Sewell
Ro: Rioli

I/C: Skipper, Ellis, Brown and Peterson.

In: Luke Hodge
Out: Brendan Whitecross

FREMANTLE

FB: Silvagni - Grover - Broughton
HB: Hayden - McPharlin – Van Berlo
Ce: Ibbotson - Mundy - Hill
HF: Mayne - Pavlich - Walters
FF: Crichton - Johnson – de Boer

Ru: Sandilands
RR: Suban
Ro: Duffield

I/C: Fyfe, Haseleby, Morabito and McPhee.

In: Crowley, Silvagni
Out: Roberton, Ballantyne

Summary

Fremantle have the advantage of a quick side and a giant ruckman but they lack any form of continuity coming into the pointy end of the season. They have no winning culture for finals and only really have there home ground advantage to fall back on. On the flipside, Hawthorn has had no major list changes in the past month and are peaking at the right time with a recent victory over premiership favourites, Collingwood.

The travel back from Perth, a six day break and a tough match against a St Kilda or Geelong will stretch the Hawks, but the travel there and the home ground advantage won’t do much for Fremantle.

Hawks to win big. 40 points +

The Bartos Report - Elimination Final: Fremantle vs Hawthorn

The Bartos Report – Elimination Final: Fremantle vs Hawthorn

“The Wild West”

Will Smith said it best in the theme song to the 1999 mega hit “Wild Wild West”:

Wicki-wicki Wild Wild West
Jim West, desperado
Rough rider, no you don't want nada
None of this, six-gunnin this, brother runnin this
Buffalo soldier, look it's like I told ya
Any damsel that's in distress

Hmmmm, not sure how I can relate this to a game of football… Jim West is obviously Buddy Franklin. He’s certainly a “Rough Rider” who has been known to rescue many “damsels in distress” in his single days. Against the pies last week he was “six-gunnin” and considering how rarely he goes goalless, “no you don’t want nada”. Buddy’s obviously a former gunslinger from the West who has returned to the barren wastelands for one final battle as the Outlaws from Purpletown have invited Buddy and his cavalry of lawmen out West for an old fashion shoot out. And this time it’s personal…

Actually it’s not really personal in any respect other than Fremantle probably still holding a small grudge against us for Indian giving Trent Croad and taking that no.1 draft pick off their hands that landed us one of the better players going around in the AFL at the moment. It certainly feels pretty weird coming up against a team that I have no specific hatred for and that’s often the case having never played them in the finals before. Let’s face it everyone has a soft spot for Fremantle. They’ve been the closest thing to a Wiggles AFL team since they mashed Greg and Anthony together before adding a touch of Murray and they woke up Jeff by ramming the other 3 far up his arse to create the wonderful Fremantle jumper we’ve all come to fear.
What’s not to love about a team whose song has the words “Give’em the old heave-ho” (we’ve all probably used this line when a mate brings home the female Titanic). Fremantle has provided the AFL with plenty of entertainment since their inception such as Sirengate, Pavlich’s war-cry about Superman Capes and the MUA, Shaun McManus, cheering after a loss and the Dale Kickett Ultimate Fighting Championship. Hopefully there’s one more act of comedy in their bag of tricks for this weekend.

I know I haven’t been writing reports recently and this is in part due to an increased work load which has resulted in less-time to steal jokes from Bigfooty, Redtube and the rest of the internet but there was also an element of not wanting to let the quality drop if I wasn’t putting the time into it, consistent with Hawthorn’s no-risk injury policy in 2010.
This also marks the first ever preview against Fremantle and the first final preview I’ve had the pleasure of writing. I must admit it’s a great feeling to be back in the finals after last year and the early 2010 debacle. We went through so many barren years of Richmond-like success with only a pubic-hair sprinkling of finals in 00/01 and in 07/08 that we should probably never take September for granted. This time last year we were dancing in the streets at Matthew Lloyd’s suspension and ultimately retirement while hoping that another team (a non-Victorian team no less) would belt the living man-bag out of the bombers. Fortunately Matthew Knights (Vale his career) decided to leave the ruckman at home and watched Ivan Maric and Adelaide don the leather dominatrix costumes while Essendon assumed the position to the delight of Hawks fans watching all over the world.
In 2010 we actually get to do some BD/SM ourselves but this time there are 7 teams plus a few of our old enemies outside the 8 who are hoping we suffer a fate similar to that of the deserters at Essendon in 2009. The simple fact is everyone wants us to lose to Freo this week. Geelong and St Kilda don’t want to play us in the semis, Collingwood don’t want to have to play us in the prelim after we dug up the Collywobbles last week and everyone generally wants to see us implode after our little incident over the weekend so they can gloat to their mates “I told you so”.

Last week’s game was pretty fascinating in the wash-up. Was it Hawthorn’s accurate goal kicking or Collinwood’s shanking under pressure that decided the result? I would like to think that Cyril Rioli winning the ball 10m out from goal and slotting a 6-pointer is pretty different to Steele Sidebottom trying to kick one from 60m on a 45 degree angle. Hopefully Dane ‘Centrelink Posterboy’ Beams shoots blanks in the bedroom like he does shooting for goal or he might soon be the father of a kid with a teenage mother in Frankston if the rumours are true. If he’s forced to provide for the little tacker and his/her football[strike]er[/strike] obsessed mother, then he’s going to need to kick those goals to ensure he stays in the team and gets the match payments to pay child support and alimony.
Another interesting observation was when Al Clarkson pulled a gun (footballer called Cyril) on Heritier O’Brien who surprisingly didn’t look too comfortable with the show of force despite his considerable experience in the situation.

Rioli’s match-winner was pretty stock standard for us Hawk fans and something we’ve become accustomed to over the last 3 years and after Cyril clocked up another Goal of the Year nomination for the 2nd week running, I realised just how ridiculously highlight filled our games have been this year. Arguably 5 of the top 10 most exciting games in 2010 have involved the Hawks as we have a bad habit of letting our opponents get too close to us (hello leaky defence) and a penchant for the ridiculous when it comes to kicking sausages. I thought I’d go back and check how many ridiculous goals have been kicked by Hawks players in 2010.

Goal Of The Year – Nominations:

Rd 1: Michael Osborne v Melbourne
The most enigmatic white guy on the team does it again.

Rd 3: Cyril Rioli v Bulldogs
Pretty sure Bruce McAvaney lost his s**t again

Rd 4: Carl Peterson v Collingwood
My man Chubbs!

Rd 5: Buddy Franklin AND Cyril Rioli v Kangaroos
Two GOTW in a losing side down in Tassie? Only at Hawthorn.

Rd 6: Buddy Franklin v Essendon
A preview of things to come from the Love-machine.

Rd 9: Buddy Franklin v Carlton
Just warming up.

Rd 12: Luke Hodge v Crows
Takes the ball from the ruck contest, has a bounce and slots it from 55.

Rd 13: Buddy Franklin v Essendon
Soon-to-be GOTY winner and arguably the best goal he’ll ever kick.

Rd 14: Sam Mitchell v Bulldogs
The least enigmatic white guy on the team kicks a left-foot snap.

Rd 18: Buddy Franklin v Port
From the boundary for a change.

Rd 19: Chance Bateman v Sydney
Another indigenous Hawk gets in on the love.

Rd 21: Cyril Rioli v Fremantle
Pele, Beauchamp, Maradona… Rioli

Rd 22: Cyril Rioli v Collingwood
Beckenbauer, Colosimo, Cruyff… Rioli

14 out of 22 weeks is not too bad considering we were 1-6 and finished 7th. The Hawthorn 2008 season highlights will probably be outclassed by this year’s edition considering some of the silly highlights we’ve created. Unfortunately nothing will compare to the ridiculous highlights package that is “Buddy Bonanza.” If you haven’t bought this DVD yet then there’s something seriously (some would say “clinically”) wrong with you. My mates who go for Collingwood, Essendon and Geelong even demand we watch it before heading out to watch any game of football (it’s an ANZAC day favourite) purely for the ridiculous amount of flair and excitement you can jam onto a dual-layered DVD. I’ve had to replace 5 DVD players due to the disc spontaneously catching fire when I press play such is the pure kinetic energy captured on that disc.

The BIG question is if this kind of excitement can win you the kind of games that decide if you’ll be a Luke Hodge or a Leon Davis in finals especially against confident opposition in a finals game. That’s what the Hawks face this week when we face a Freo team that somehow managed to convince themselves they are a force after barely beating Carlton last week. Watching the 211cm, 123kg Aaron “Mungo” Sandilands throw around his old teammate Sticks Warnock reminded me of this picture:

meatloaf.jpg

The big concern for Hawthorn is what kind of cannon fodder / brunch we can put in front of Sandilands on Saturday. Brent Renouf has gone from jumping on car bonnets to jumping on the league’s best ruckmen and often winning the taps in 2010.

His understudy Wayde Skipper has gone from junkyard bulldog to undersized Hawks backup ruckman in what was initially desperate necessity after it was discovered that Hodge couldn’t have 20 hit-outs and win 30 possessions every week and Roughead couldn’t kick goals from the middle. This will undoubtedly be Wayde’s (the extra Y is for ‘You know what time it is’) biggest and most naturally deformed test of 2010 considering Sandilands is likely to do this to him:

midgettoss.jpg

Googling “Dwarf Tossing” was by far the most enjoyable component while writing this report. Apparently it’s illegal in some areas… which means it’s LEGAL everywhere else! If I ever become a rich man who loses all of his morals after visit no. 500 to the strippers, that’s exactly where my money is going. I might even employ the little fella on a full-time basis in case I get a sudden urge to launch him into a pool off the balcony at home.

So back to the game, this game will probably be won in the midfield, forward line, defence, on the interchange and in the coach’s box. Unlike previous games, I don’t believe the water boys, trainers, runners nor TV commentators will have a significant impact on the game’s result.
In the middle we match up pretty well if we stack Chance Bateman on Brad Sewell’s shoulders. I hope we learned something from that game down in Tassie where the Big H-Mac with special sauce was rucking against Roughead, Schoenmakers and Hodge and thumped the ball 10m clear wherever possible because that’s the likely outcome again. Our pretty average midfield of The Quarterback, The Extractor, Mr. September, Dr. Delicious, Silk, Taz, Changa and Dasher should outgun the Painters & Dockers midfield of Mundy, Hill, Dudd, Dudd, Dudd, Dudd, Dudd and Pavlich (if he’s forced to hold them up in there).

In defence we’re gonna need Gibson to shave those legs and grease the pipes more than the usual amount. Apparently his record is 15 Powerades before a game and if he’s gonna beat the weirdo in the superman cape, he’ll need 15 per quarter. Gilham will get Michael “Tony Montana” Johnson who badly suffers from White Line Fever while Tom Murphy will probably play on Chris Mayne, the latest in the long line of cross-dressing Western Australian players. No-one ever thought Shaun McManus’ gay surfie jerry curls would ever be copied but then turnover specialist Matt Priddis came on the scene and tried to steal his thunder by racking up 45 backwards possessions before we unbelievably had a third Home & Away wannabe arrive on the scene in 2008.

Up forward for the Hawks, there’s gonna be so much attacking flair that Freddie Mercury might actually rise from the dead and be seen dancing with his hands above his head (which by now will probably resemble a rotting skull with a wicked moustache) in the outer behind the Hawks goals as Buddy, Rioli, MY MAN CHUBBS PETERSON, Osborne, Mr Hooper (who I’ve hung with many times), and Roughy (everyone likes it Rough) turn on the party tricks for the mediocre accepting Freo fans. I find it interesting that they’ll be going into the game with exactly the same defence that conceded 155 points last time we played them. I understand there was as much defensive pressure coming from upfield as there was from the actual atmospheric air-pressure (101.3 kPa if taken from Inceston altitude), but you’d think there’d be a twitch of doubt in their minds after watching the ball sail over their heads 10 times a quarter.

On the interchange there should be some fierce banter across the yellow boxes including Al Clarkson who’s watched too much [Strike]Lingerie[/strike] National Football League and thinks he can use Rioli as his Linebacker, Youngy as the wide receiver, Brown as a blocker, Buddy as a running back and obviously Hodgey as the Quarterback. I expect our players to rotate off the bench and if the temperature starts to rise like Ben Cousins on speed, we’ll need plenty of ice vests (suggest we bring our own, they have a different meaning of ice over there) to keep the players as cool as a cucumber (excluding those cucumbers they use in Sex Ed to teach young girls how to put a condom on a guy with a 12 inch pen15).

Let’s hope this isn’t the last match preview of the year, I intend to post one for every final we play in and this would be a pretty s**t way to end it. I’m still writing up the report and censoring the photos from our Tassie Trip back in June which I hope to post here soon. I have to ensure I get it on the internet before Labor retains power and Stephen Conroy’s internet filter comes online.

If the Hawks fans in Victoria don’t get to see a final live, then this will have definitely been a failure of a year. Hope the boys play with the spirit of 2008 to give us a chance to play at the G in front of 60,000 screaming Hawks fans.

Hawks by 15 points.

Re: The Bartos Report - Elimination Final: Fremantle vs Hawthorn

Very nice. Go the mighty fighting Hawks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Elim Final vs Dockers In: Hodge, Out: Hooper

Here I was thinking that Hooper was going to tear them apart come finals, so what's the point in resting him all year if he is not going to play finals.
Soreness again, something doesn't seem right about all this.

Re: Team vs Fremantle

They are having a laugh with Hooper.

FFS just mothball him if he can't play 2 in a row

B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Thomas Murphy
HB: Brendan Whitecross, Josh Gibson, Ben Stratton
C: Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Clinton Young
HF: Shaun Burgoyne, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli
F: Michael Osborne, Jarryd Roughead, Chance Bateman
Foll: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Brad Sewell
I/C: Campbell Brown, Xavier Ellis, Carl Peterson, Wayde Skipper
Emg: Rick Ladson, Ryan Schoenmakers, Liam Shiels

In: Hodge
Out: Rhan Hooper (soreness)

Fremantle

Fremantle

This is not a bad out for the hawks - he always seems to pop up and cause problems whenever they meet.

This is a very young but pacy side - the hawks will need to be totally on their game right from the first bounce.

No great surprise with the Hawks changes. Hooper couldn't raise a trot during training. I'm starting to wonder if 'general soreness' isn't a highly contagious disease. Hodge had to come back in of course, hopefully he won't get another knock to his knee.

I almost thought Taylor might come back in to help counter Sandilands. If he was going to be selected for a finals game it was this one. Will we trade him?

Duckers aren't the same side they were earlier in the year. No Barlow, Tarrant, Hasleby, Ballentyne or Headland and the younger players looking a bit tired. Hoping for a good win with no injuries.

When I got home from work, my stupid wife told me Hodge hadn't come up, then wouldn't let me on the computer for half an hour.

Never, ever, marry a North Melbourne supporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back