Player Watch Hawthorn NGA 2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

It won't be long until the participation rate of kids aged 12-17 playing AFL in NSW and QLD exceeds that of League according to AusPlay (government information and knowledge sharing platform for Australian sport).

Once that happens, there will be real debate about the concessions the Academies are afforded.

I'd go out on a limb and say that in SE QLD, the Sunshine Coast through to the Gold Coast, the number of 12-17 year old kids playing AFL already exceeds those playing League. There is a population of +3.5million of which all kids are eligible for the 2 QLD club academies. It is a big leg up already with many of the more recent family arrivals coming from southern states who've historically followed AFL (me included).

It is still needed, more-so I believe in NSW, but if the AFL wanted to tweak a few things related to eligibility, they'd have a lot less casual supporter backlash to the perceived unfairness.

AFL is growing so fast in Queensland, COVID helped this with all the Victorians moving north, as if the family is playing AFL in Vic they arn’t going to start playing League just because they moved states.

AFL is growing so fast in Queensland, COVID helped this with all the Victorians moving north, as if the family is playing AFL in Vic they arn’t going to start playing League just because they moved states.
Exactly, these kids that moved north all have an AFL upbringing and are eligible for the academies. That wasn't the point of them when set up, circumstances outside of the AFL control just accelerated the numbers of participants in grass roots programs

Exactly, these kids that moved north all have an AFL upbringing and are eligible for the academies. That wasn't the point of them when set up, circumstances outside of the AFL control just accelerated the numbers of participants in grass roots programs
Would be interested to see the data which supports this assertion.

Qld Govt release said there was 9090 net migration from Vic to Qld in 2022-23 but the proportion of the local population aged 0-14 and 15-19 actually decreased.

Would suggest most interstate movements from Vic to Qld were in the boomer / retiree category.

No need for an AFL SuperRules Academy is there?

Would be interested to see the data which supports this assertion.

Qld Govt release said there was 9090 net migration from Vic to Qld in 2022-23 but the proportion of the local population aged 0-14 and 15-19 actually decreased.

Would suggest most interstate movements from Vic to Qld were in the boomer / retiree category.

No need for an AFL SuperRules Academy is there?
What was net migration from 2020-2023?

Living on the Sunshine coast, I can only use my experience here and with my kids, their friends and families etc to honestly say the number of families with school aged kids who moved from 2020 to 2023 would be +500. That's just the Noosa to Peregian area.

When we moved here, schools were full with waitlists exceeding 2 times the number of students already enrolled for primary ages of our kids and these schools have added classrooms, hired teachers etc to meet demand.

Further north from Hervey Bay to Agnes Waters to Airlie Beach, the boomer influx has been unprecedented. Those areas now have severe imbalance of young families and retirees with few 40-60yo families moving there and many migrating south to growth areas. Many retirees sold up in Noosa/Sunshine Coast, cashed out and settled in these areas with a huge cash injection, as did those from Victoria and NSW.

It looks like net migration in the 2 years prior to that report is closer to 100k and I'd suggest, without data to confirm I'll add, that most of those numbers came from Victoria and will stay and make Queensland home

What was net migration from 2020-2023?

Living on the Sunshine coast, I can only use my experience here and with my kids, their friends and families etc to honestly say the number of families with school aged kids who moved from 2020 to 2023 would be +500. That's just the Noosa to Peregian area.

When we moved here, schools were full with waitlists exceeding 2 times the number of students already enrolled for primary ages of our kids and these schools have added classrooms, hired teachers etc to meet demand.

Further north from Hervey Bay to Agnes Waters to Airlie Beach, the boomer influx has been unprecedented. Those areas now have severe imbalance of young families and retirees with few 40-60yo families moving there and many migrating south to growth areas. Many retirees sold up in Noosa/Sunshine Coast, cashed out and settled in these areas with a huge cash injection, as did those from Victoria and NSW.

It looks like net migration in the 2 years prior to that report is closer to 100k and I'd suggest, without data to confirm I'll add, that most of those numbers came from Victoria and will stay and make Queensland home
No one from Victoria was able to leave the state unless they wanted to quarantine in Howard Springs for almost 18 months!

Even Karen from Brighton didn’t relocate to Noosa until late 2021. 🤣

Give it a rest mate. Your claims are without foundation

No one from Victoria was able to leave the state unless they wanted to quarantine in Howard Springs for almost 18 months!

I pity the fool you are!

You only had to buy a house and you could move, so thousands either sold up from Melbourne and moved north or were given exemptions to inspect.

Your lack of knowledge of covid restrictions in Australia and those related to movement are astounding for someone who preaches the gospel.

Move along

I pity the fool you are!

You only had to buy a house and you could move, so thousands either sold up from Melbourne and moved north or were given exemptions to inspect.

Your lack of knowledge of covid restrictions in Australia and those related to movement are astounding for someone who preaches the gospel.

Move along

Well done on finding some stats. 👍

So why did the number of kids under 18 living in Qld drop then?

It’s common knowledge that people retiring in Victoria and moving to Qld for the warmer climate is nothing new.

The answer surely lies in the COVID migration into Qld being primarily from people in the 55+ age group - who are also likely to have railed against the existing government.

That was the statistic which defies your claim that heaps of young kids from Victoria have magically moved to Qld and given AFL football the shot in the arm the sport needed.

Even Karen from Brighton didn’t relocate to Noosa until late 2021.

You could get out of the state without going into hotel quarantine like mid December in 2020, We made the move with our kids then and didn’t have it quarantine at all.

And I know a lots of other families with young kids who did also.

You could get out of the state without going into hotel quarantine like mid December in 2020, We made the move with our kids then and didn’t have it quarantine at all.

And I know a lots of other families with young kids who did also.
….all of whom are now eligible for the Gold Coast Suns or Brisbane Academy at the ripe old age of 4, or maybe 6.

You know what I mean. 😉

….all of whom are now eligible for the Gold Coast Suns or Brisbane Academy at the ripe old age of 4, or maybe 6.

You know what I mean. 😉
You said no one from Victoria was able to leave the state unless they quarantined at Howard Springs for 18 months.

Which is 100% wrong.

So in your words (above) give it a rest mate, your claims are without foundation.

You know what I mean 😉

As for the academy, which I couldn’t really give a shite about that argument but, just maybe the kids were 12/13yrs old & are now 16/17yrs old.

Not everyone who moves to Qld are grey nomads.

I know you are an expert on coaching kids in the Coates League, as you’ve pointed out, but you aren’t an expert on all things football or all things related to who’s moving interstate & who isn’t, nor the age of said movers.

Thread title is designated 'Player Watch'. Perhaps the merits of the system could go in a separate thread (that I won't be subscribed to).
Gladiator GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it really even worth us investing in the NGA given the restrictions?
Worth asking how much we should be. Its pretty hard to have to hope they are good, but not too good for the top 40, but still hopeful that have potential and worth the investment..... Seems a terrible system for clubs, to invest, and then the joke of having the Swans being able to take a player before us like our Vickery..... just a pick or two before he would have been eligible for us. Surely at least clubs who have their own fricken academy that others can't touch, CAN"T TAKE VICTORIAN CLUBS ACADEMY PLAYERS... Such a joke of a system.

Well done on finding some stats. 👍

So why did the number of kids under 18 living in Qld drop then?

It’s common knowledge that people retiring in Victoria and moving to Qld for the warmer climate is nothing new.

The answer surely lies in the COVID migration into Qld being primarily from people in the 55+ age group - who are also likely to have railed against the existing government.

That was the statistic which defies your claim that heaps of young kids from Victoria have magically moved to Qld and given AFL football the shot in the arm the sport needed.

No idea on the overall stats.

But 4/15 kids in my sons footy team have moved from Victoria to the Sunshine Coast in the last 4 years.

And 5/25 kids in my daughters class last year had moved from Victoria to the Sunshine Coast in the last 4 years.

No idea on the overall stats.

But 4/15 kids in my sons footy team have moved from Victoria to the Sunshine Coast in the last 4 years.

And 5/25 kids in my daughters class last year had moved from Victoria to the Sunshine Coast in the last 4 years.

Yep same when we moved the amount of 4/5 bed houses we missed out on to Victorians the real estate agent told us was alot, every house we were competing against was at least 5 to 6 Victorians families.

The grey brigade aren’t buying houses this size they are down sizing and putting the rest into there super.

Yep same when we moved the amount of 4/5 bed houses we missed out on to Victorians the real estate agent told us was alot, every house we were competing against was at least 5 to 6 Victorians families.

The grey brigade aren’t buying houses this size they are down sizing and putting the rest into there super.

It was crazy mid 2021 walking into any open for inspections for houses and there'd be 20-30 people walking around filming it for Victorian friends in lockdown.

Worth asking how much we should be. Its pretty hard to have to hope they are good, but not too good for the top 40, but still hopeful that have potential and worth the investment..... Seems a terrible system for clubs, to invest, and then the joke of having the Swans being able to take a player before us like our Vickery..... just a pick or two before he would have been eligible for us. Surely at least clubs who have their own fricken academy that others can't touch, CAN"T TAKE VICTORIAN CLUBS ACADEMY PLAYERS... Such a joke of a system.
Wasn’t Vickery taken late 20’s? I remember thinking they went hard. Point still stands that the NGA system needs a lot of work.

Is it really even worth us investing in the NGA given the restrictions?
How much do we really invest anyway? As an example, Tew Jiath wasn’t added to our NGA until mid last year once he appeared a likely draft pick. It’s such a bizarre system, I don’t get what level of coaching they even receive and to what extent they are in an academy at all.

How much do we really invest anyway? As an example, Tew Jiath wasn’t added to our NGA until mid last year once he appeared a likely draft pick. It’s such a bizarre system, I don’t get what level of coaching they even receive and to what extent they are in an academy at all.
The lack of transparency in the AFL is a professional joke. But they love it. Gives them the narcissistic power trip people in those positions crave and drives fan engagement through social media.

When I was coaching at Sandy Dragons, Nick Dal Santo was in charge of the St Kilda NGA.

The 4 Dragons kids who were also NGA members said the 2hrs/fortnight at NGA with Dal and an injured player paled in comparison to 10hrs/week at TAC with 6 coaches. They barely saw Dal and he was just dialling it in.

Now that’s not necessarily the Hawthorn approach but I don’t think many Victorian clubs put more than a token effort into NGA.

Was Nathan Foley our NGA guy? What was his role when with us?

Was Nathan Foley our NGA guy? What was his role when with us?
He was head of the NGA from 2016 - 2020.

Then head of recruitment (not list management) for 2020-2022.

Now he works at the AFL.

I don’t believe we actually replaced him with anyone re: NGA due to COVID and subsequent spending cuts.

I could be wrong but can’t seem to find anyone nominated as responsible for the NGA. Someone else closer to the club may know….

There is really no reason for non-northern clubs to have an NGA anymore.
Why put any time an effort into developing a player to then not even be able to match a bid inside 40 anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back