News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it Hawks or ex Hawthorn people not apologising?
Just my 2 cents but dare I say the HFC can only make a formal apology for what has been accused if / when the coaches do if proven to be guilty. The club has already voiced and acknowledged its support and sympathy for the players + families but for a formal apology to happen by the club the accused if guilty would need to do so first.

Last edited:
According to Andrew Mathies in the National Indigenous Times the Australian Human Rights Commission "has insisted to instruct all participants that the process is confidential and the club also cannot comment about what is said in the conciliation while it is ongoing" BUT "a list that was awkwardly disclosed from the offices of Arnold Bloch Leibler" discloses "18 matters unresolved from the mediation more than a month ago in Melbourne".

He writes that "should the Indigenous group and the AFL club cannot find common ground, an impasse looms that will send both of the parties to a Federal court hearing over litigation against the Hawks" and summaries "reports" that "suggest the issue is Hawthorn's refusal to accept unwavering requests from the affected Indigenous families" including (a) "personal apology and a public apology", (b) "acknowledgement of pain, stress and hurt they suffered during their time at the club", (c) "an explanation to the club's actions" and ... (d) "financial reparations".

He highlights an expectation that "the club could have to fork out more than $3 million should the action go to the Federal court" and that "Club president Andrew Gowers has for all intents and purposes implied the club will be willing to pay some form of compensation regardless should the matter reach court".

He identifies the Indigenous group as Cyril Rioli, Jermaine Miller-Lewis, Carl Peterson, wives Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli and Montanah Miller-Lewis, and club Aboriginal liaison officer Leon Egan, and stats that "the players and their families have no hesitation in heading to court should they not receive justice that they are satisfied with from the final outcome".

https://nit.com.au/11-05-2024/11349...n-process-back-to-the-human-rights-commission

Are we even surprised anymore?

'It’s believed the players and their families have been told they would receive a financial settlement – which they believe is a lowball offer – in response to their claims they were the victims of historical racist behaviour.
The players and their families, however, believe Clarkson and Fagan could be offered hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation.
It has been previously reported the Hawks could be forced pay the coaches, including Burt, a financial settlement of more than $1 million for damages to their reputation as result of the club’s cultural safety review.'

Are we even surprised anymore?

'It’s believed the players and their families have been told they would receive a financial settlement – which they believe is a lowball offer – in response to their claims they were the victims of historical racist behaviour.
The players and their families, however, believe Clarkson and Fagan could be offered hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation.
It has been previously reported the Hawks could be forced pay the coaches, including Burt, a financial settlement of more than $1 million for damages to their reputation as result of the club’s cultural safety review.'
The coaches get compensation because the club dared to ask its players how they felt? That's ****ed up.

The coaches get compensation because the club dared to ask its players how they felt? That's ****ed up.
I reckon the guy that lives in a 5 bedroom home in inner Brighton needs more compo for damage to his reputation.

I swear he’s written an “it’s on the verge of collapse” story at least three times in the past six months…
And barracking his black (and red) heart out for it to be so.
In all seriousness though, the last thing Robinson or 99% of the media want is for this to reach an amicable resolution. The longer the story runs and the more damaging the fallout is the happier they will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if it is possible for the club to move forward without the agreement of Clarkson/Fagan/Burt.
You would hope so. The dispute between the HFC and Clarkson/Fagan/Burt probably doesn't belong in the AHRC conciliation process I would have thought.

Also, maybe the HFC in attempting to please everyone is pleasing no one.

I reckon the guy that lives in a 5 bedroom home in inner Brighton needs more compo for damage to his reputation.
You’d reckon the fact he’s tracking at 0 wins - 10 losses in 2024 would have obliterated his reputation compared to answering allegations from 12 years ago

I reckon this insatiable push for cash from HFC (which happens to be the members) whether it be for not coaching the club for a year or supposed reputational damage from a report written by a third party, is doing far more damage to reputations than anything else.

I reckon this insatiable push for cash from HFC (which happens to be the members) whether it be for not coaching the club for a year or supposed reputational damage from a report written by a third party, is doing far more damage to reputations than anything else.
He already got paid handsomely by the HFC for not coaching that year anyhow.

Bloke is a narcissist and it’s embarrassing how the media fawn all over him when he’s clearly failing in his second stint at senior coaching.

Right... so what does this mean?

Both parties - ex-players and accused coaches have 60 days to file a claim in court
For the hawks - they don’t need to do anything
The AFL - well they said “nothing to see here” and have already moved on. They don’t care what happens next unless they are dragged back into it if one of the parties files a law suit

Clarkson practically said he would scorch the earth to ensure his name is cleared - it will be interesting to see if he puts his money where his mouth is and files a law suit against the players and the hawks

Both parties - ex-players and accused coaches have 60 days to file a claim in court
For the hawks - they don’t need to do anything
The AFL - well they said “nothing to see here” and have already moved on. They don’t care what happens next unless they are dragged back into it if one of the parties files a law suit

Clarkson practically said he would scorch the earth to ensure his name is cleared - it will be interesting to see if he puts his money where his mouth is and files a law suit against the players and the hawks
Cyril and the players can launch a case against us for coin.

Cyril and the players can launch a case against us for coin.

They would have to demonstrate damages of some sort, and it's not apparent what those are. Lost income or business opportunities, perhaps, but no one who has complained has, as far as I'm aware, ever demonstrated they didn't get a run because of the actions or other similar outcomes. The coaches being named without any reply or notice have a possible complaint, Clarkson in particular as he took a half year off coaching as a result.

We'll have to see what the players argue in court if they go to court, but in general, they have to show they were treated differently than other players for prohibited reasons and that they suffered quantifiable material damage (e.g., lost income or similar) as a result. They could potentially be compensated for that.

The players asked for Hawthorn to apologise for a legacy of racism, which Hawthorn wouldn't do. I assume that admission would have provided a basis to claim damages. Anyways, we'll see if anyone files out of this proceeding and what happens then.

By the way, does anyone know why there is a 60 day limit on filing now? Surely, the players can file a claim at any time for these complaints. Maybe the 60 limit is on the ability to use the evidence/transcripts/etc presented in the HRC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back