Heeney & Mills

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get the comparison between a half back and half forward, 1st year player and second year player

re visit in 2 years

in 2 years it will be a 4 year player and a 3rd year player.

I'll let myself out.

If Mills ends up taking Malceski's old role on the list he'll be internally rated very highly. But it will be years before the neutral supporters catch on.

Heeney is playing at the glamorous end of the ground. I expect whatever the truth, even when Heeney is back in the midfield he'll be more highly regarded over his career.

Both look the goods though.

Heeney will finish a better player than Mills just a gut feel.
Maybe, but from all reports on the guy, Mills will be a captain. Heeney is going to be a great player, no doubt, but he doesn't scream "leader". He's just a kid though and he may develop that as he gets older.

We obviously still are yet to see the best of what these two can offer , but ive been wondering who is the better playet right now?

Heeneys best is nothing short of astonishing. He looks nearly impossible to stop and has a very unique skillset that not many playets have. Great athlete, strong, great mark, strong tackler and handy around goals. Being a young player , he is prone to disappearing from time to time which is acceptable.

Mills on the other hand, has not put a foot wrong. Being played out of position, he has displayed a maturity beyond his years. He is couragous, calm under pressure, strong mark, great penetrating kick and a very strong tackler. He has been super consistant and saying he plays like a 150 gamer is no exaggeration. Legit looks like hes been playing league footy for years.

Obviously we are yet to scratch the surface on these two kids but its interesting to think that as impressive as heeney has been so far , mills right now is probably ahead as a player purely due to consistancy

I am just glad we have both on our team. But for the sake of the thread, i'll say Heeney is better right now but Mills' ceiling is higher.
Id nearly go exact opposite. id say mills is better right now but heeney has the better ceiling.

For me, mills is going to be a high volume, highly skilled mid. maybe in the mould of pendles but a better mark and bigger kick. Heenes is going to be something else. His combination of athleticism and marking abiluty will cause matchup mismatches every week and will push forward and punish sides.

Its a bloody good problem to have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are awesome. Mills will be ultra consistent and reliable and perform at a high level each week similar to Pendles, Heeney will probably be able to break a game open in a short burst perhaps turning out to be similar to Fyfe in a way.

Superstar swan I have merged this with an existing thread on the same topic.

Consistency vs x factor. Great to have 2 players with complementary skillsets come up at the same time. Hopefully they'll make a great tandem for the next decade +

I'm still on Heeney bandwagon, just because x factor can be used to break games open

Last edited:
Both outstanding prospects for the club, but I'm more impressed by the fact they've shown themselves to be tough and gritty bastards when the going gets rough.
they both have no regard for their safety, mills looks so slight and i sometimes cringe when he goes back into pack, but he just rides the hits and comes back for more

I like how confident each of them are in flying for marks. Heeney's real advantage over Mills in that respect is how good he is at keeping his feet. It's pretty amazing how rare he is to go to ground, it makes him incredibly difficult to counter for a small/medium defender.

For a first year player, Mills is tremendous at intercepting, he's got an iron-clad confidence in himself.

There was also a moment in the last quarter which I liked when Mills gave up a mark to Wingard I50; Mills punched the ground very hard because he was furious he gave that up despite the side being about 12 goals up IIRC. He's competitive and he hates giving up anything to his opponent, no matter the margin.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back