Remove this Banner Ad

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.
Need to help my brother build a PC. He says he needs it for video editing software, running VR and maybe some gaming. He said his budget is around AU$2k but I'm thinking that might be overkill for what he needs it for? What sort of parts should he be looking at? Any help is appreciated

Post in here, set out your budget/what you need and im sure people can help. I built roughly a year ago.

I do video editing. Really depends what software he is using and the video files (e.g. codecs, resolution, colour space).

2k will get a decent computer but will "under spec'd" for serious video editing. You can easily spend over 2k just on a CPU and graphics card.

The parts he'd need:
  • Case
  • Power supply
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • CPU cooler
  • RAM
  • Graphics card (depends on the software; may get away with onboard graphics)
  • SSD or HDD
A decent PC for video editing would be closer to 4k.

What I’d suggest is a seek out a place like pccasegear or centrecom or a similar retailer, where they can recommend and build the computer for you, they only charge around a hundred bucks or so more then the parts are worth..... or get a ready made one that they sell.

if you want longevity, last 5 - 10 years plus then.....

spend around $500-$600 and get a great MB and power supply.
Spend around $100 plus and get a computer case that has great cooling.
They are the foundations of your system. Get this right and you should be running care free for years.

my pc has been running 10 yrs with very high use and it hasn’t skipped a beat! The only thing I’ve added is a new HDD and SSD. And upgraded to windows 10. Just this year.

what I have is.....
ASUS ROG Gene IV. Motherboard.
Intel core i5 3750. This cpu still rocks.
seasonic 650w power supply, best in the business imo.

goodluck,

aha.. I knew i saw $70 assembly fee from somewhere...here it is:

there's other stuff as well like data recovery...

goes to show...take the plunge and DIY...build you own PC and learn...so that next time you install some 'part' you don't waste $35 here and there
when it should take you 5 mins.

I do video editing. Really depends what software he is using and the video files (e.g. codecs, resolution, colour space).

2k will get a decent computer but will "under spec'd" for serious video editing. You can easily spend over 2k just on a CPU and graphics card.

The parts he'd need:
  • Case
  • Power supply
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • CPU cooler
  • RAM
  • Graphics card (depends on the software; may get away with onboard graphics)
  • SSD or HDD
A decent PC for video editing would be closer to 4k.
listen to this guy.

also figure out what res the input/outputs will be and add a monitor to that list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back