Hobart Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Applicants

More likely under 10KG's I would think.

Has plenty of ability and surely one of the only genuine big blokes in the state that can dominate the ruck and kick goals.

Who else is there?

More likely under 10KG's I would think.

Has plenty of ability and surely one of the only genuine big blokes in the state that can dominate the ruck and kick goals.

Who else is there?

Your living in the past Duff. Well past TSL level is Carvs

Perhaps if you did see them play then you'd know they're both very good players who wouldn't have any trouble slotting into the Hobart side. And maybe they haven't played TSL because they're happy at a great club that has been dominating for a few years? There are a number of blokes running around in the SFL who could make the jump. You're talking like these blokes would be going into the AFL.
have seen both play, just not live and yes both capable but just because they did something in days past doesn't mean they are capable in a league that demands committment to succeed hence Hobarts current position.If it was easy everybody would play. From what I've heard neither going to Hobart anyway, just talk

have seen both play, just not live and yes both capable but just because they did something in days past doesn't mean they are capable in a league that demands committment to succeed hence Hobarts current position.If it was easy everybody would play. From what I've heard neither going to Hobart anyway, just talk

Would love to see Thommo play TSL, would be as dominate as any key forward in the state. Ross would go well has great leg speed and good skills. And Carver would be more then serviceable, if he was able to drop 10 kg's then he would give every other side head aches. He is a better player than Willing and Willing was as good as any at HFC last season

Would love to see Thommo play TSL, would be as dominate as any key forward in the state. Ross would go well has great leg speed and good skills. And Carver would be more then serviceable, if he was able to drop 10 kg's then he would give every other side head aches. He is a better player than Willing and Willing was as good as any at HFC last season

without being too insulting I find it funny that some people get on this forum and talk up players from other comps, Carver has been playing for N/N for almost his whole career and has never had the drive or work ethic to go to the next level, the guy apparently was in the AIS for softball and chucked that away because he preferred the footy lifestyle in the valley. Yes he would be good enough to play at TSL level but he never will because he doesn't really want to, just like many of the players mentioned in these pages. It's the same as the nothern posters always talking up their young players as "guns" and being drafted, if only it were that easy. I am happy to be wrong but lets see Ross and Thompson get through the pre season first. Young Ross may have heaps of speed, talent etc but he is yet to show these attributes anywhere else but with strong New Norfolk teams and up the bush. How will he go playing a a small forward and being picked up by a Shipton from Launceston, a Castle from Clarence, a Praciak from Nth Bombers?

without being too insulting I find it funny that some people get on this forum and talk up players from other comps, Carver has been playing for N/N for almost his whole career and has never had the drive or work ethic to go to the next level, the guy apparently was in the AIS for softball and chucked that away because he preferred the footy lifestyle in the valley. Yes he would be good enough to play at TSL level but he never will because he doesn't really want to, just like many of the players mentioned in these pages. It's the same as the nothern posters always talking up their young players as "guns" and being drafted, if only it were that easy. I am happy to be wrong but lets see Ross and Thompson get through the pre season first. Young Ross may have heaps of speed, talent etc but he is yet to show these attributes anywhere else but with strong New Norfolk teams and up the bush. How will he go playing a a small forward and being picked up by a Shipton from Launceston, a Castle from Clarence, a Praciak from Nth Bombers?

Agree that there are many CHAMPIONS playing in other levels of football.

Castle on Ross? I think I would back Ross to beat the muppet! Agree with the others.

You get on here and talk up a club that is an absolute rabble who struggle to even put up a good fight in half their games. Carver played Premier League for many years and was a very good player (still is a good player). So what if he wants to stay at his club that is still going strong. Probably strong enough to beat your club in all honesty.:eek:

And by the way, changed your opinion on Kaine Waller? That bloke from the bush had a decent year I thought. Top 10 in Tassie medal, made the team of the year & won Lauderdales B&F even though he missed a few games. yep, solid year:D probably wouldn't be in Hobarts best 25 though...

The same rabble that beat Kaine Waller’s team in the last game of the season and also according to Lauderdale’s coach should have beaten them twice more in the season? Seriously unless you are involved in a club quite heavily, you don’t really know what goes on, because 2nd and 3rd hand information is usually not very reliable especially when that information comes from self interested people. There are a lot of changes going on internally at tigerland and for the most part they needed to happen, off-field things are looking a lot better, on-field…well we just have to wait and see.

There a lot of players that play in competitions below the state League that have the talent to be very good players in the best competition, and all those guys mentioned definitely have the talent. But it’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges as the games played in the 2 competitions are quite different. A mid-fielder playing in the SFL getting a heap of kicks but doesn’t have great speed or fitness, might struggle to get a kick in the TSL as the game is played at a lot quicker pace, likewise a serviceable TSL player who might have great fitness, knows his role in his teams structure, but doesn’t win a lot of his own ball might not have the expected impact if he went back to the SFL.

In regards to the best sides in the SFL beating the bottom TSL sides I doubt it would happen, although granted I have seen some horrible TSL football. Hobart played New Norfolk up at Boyer before the start of the 2010 season in a pre-season match and whilst New Norfolk were underdone and both sides had a number of players out Hobart still won quite convincingly. The same New Norfolk team had arguably just as much talent and possibly even more, but without the gruelling pre-season and preparation that TSL clubs go through SFL sides would struggle to compete, if they did do a TSL standard pre-season then perhaps it might be a different story.

Re: Nathan Ross. A great little player, but was smashed in the GF when he was actually tagged.

Thompson and Ross would both get kicks on a Saturday with Hobart, but unfortunately its more than that. Big pre-seasons, travelling, training three nights a week.

Not sure those blokes could keep up. Talent is only part of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would these norfick boys bother playing for Hobart? they will all go back there in a years time because afltas have taken hobarts tsl license sending them back to the sfl. I can't see them playing for someone against NN

Why would these norfick boys bother playing for Hobart? they will all go back there in a years time because afltas have taken hobarts tsl license sending them back to the sfl. I can't see them playing for someone against NN

McConnon factor probably. Last I heard they were off to Lauderdale anyway.

I am lead to believe that they contacted the club, but nothing has been heard from them since the initial contact. Unless something changed in the past two weeks I doubt they will be going to Lauderdale.

I am lead to believe that they contacted the club, but nothing has been heard from them since the initial contact. Unless something changed in the past two weeks I doubt they will be going to Lauderdale.
Hobart have recruited N/N players in past couple of years and most only last 1 season, Zeb Graham a good example, the guy could play but couldn't get his body right, his weight initially made his ability to do the work an obstacle and he picked up niggles, by seasons end he was reasonably fit, but only reasonably. These guys need to turn up to TSL pre season day 1 on good shape just to keep up. I saw Jake Briggs in the last pre season running on memory and dry reaching and really struggling in a small 3-4 minute running drill they did then go back into the main group, only to have just recovered and he was back into another running drill. He looked dead but didn't miss a target all night on the track even though highly fatigued. He was very, very fit and was struggling, as was David Clark whom is regarded by most as probably the fittest man in Tassie footy. I honestly couldn't see the players mentioned getting through one of those sessions I witnessed, let alone 3/4 x per week plus the extras away from training. The HFC players had set points they had to achieve for fitness all through the year. It all takes a tremendous amount of committment, hence why the SFL, OSFA exist, not everyone can committ. Posters saying Ross would beat that muppet meaning Castle are kidding themselves, Castle may not be a champion but he's around 184cm and around 85kg's and super quick and very hard at the ball, Ross would struggle to hold his feet when constantly checked all day just as a simple example. These guys are obviously talented but so much more comes into play. They would be better off going to Glenorchy if they wanted to get into the league if what is going around about HFC having 1 year left is true anyway. I hope they come but don't expect them to be instant hits. Just on Waller I stand by previous comments, he is a good player, hopefully he sticks with it and improves. In that last game against HFC he only got votes because he tried hard, he looked a mile off it that day, just when they needed him.

Hobart have recruited N/N players in past couple of years and most only last 1 season, Zeb Graham a good example, the guy could play but couldn't get his body right, his weight initially made his ability to do the work an obstacle and he picked up niggles, by seasons end he was reasonably fit, but only reasonably. These guys need to turn up to TSL pre season day 1 on good shape just to keep up. I saw Jake Briggs in the last pre season running on memory and dry reaching and really struggling in a small 3-4 minute running drill they did then go back into the main group, only to have just recovered and he was back into another running drill. He looked dead but didn't miss a target all night on the track even though highly fatigued. He was very, very fit and was struggling, as was David Clark whom is regarded by most as probably the fittest man in Tassie footy. I honestly couldn't see the players mentioned getting through one of those sessions I witnessed, let alone 3/4 x per week plus the extras away from training. The HFC players had set points they had to achieve for fitness all through the year. It all takes a tremendous amount of committment, hence why the SFL, OSFA exist, not everyone can committ. Posters saying Ross would beat that muppet meaning Castle are kidding themselves, Castle may not be a champion but he's around 184cm and around 85kg's and super quick and very hard at the ball, Ross would struggle to hold his feet when constantly checked all day just as a simple example. These guys are obviously talented but so much more comes into play. They would be better off going to Glenorchy if they wanted to get into the league if what is going around about HFC having 1 year left is true anyway. I hope they come but don't expect them to be instant hits. Just on Waller I stand by previous comments, he is a good player, hopefully he sticks with it and improves. In that last game against HFC he only got votes because he tried hard, he looked a mile off it that day, just when they needed him.

By far the best post I've seen. Could not have said it any better myself :thumbsu:

By far the best post I've seen. Could not have said it any better myself :thumbsu:

You all make good points. And there is a massive commitment to play TSL, I was just making the point that any of them guys could play well in TSL if they put the work in.
I could give you a long list of blokes that played multiple seasons in SFL or NTFL and had great seasons in their first years. Baldock, Rodman, Howe, Standen, Waller, to a lesser extent Willing just to name a few.

You all make good points. And there is a massive commitment to play TSL, I was just making the point that any of them guys could play well in TSL if they put the work in.
I could give you a long list of blokes that played multiple seasons in SFL or NTFL and had great seasons in their first years. Baldock, Rodman, Howe, Standen, Waller, to a lesser extent Willing just to name a few.
standen and Waller are good examples as they both appear to be quite serious about their conditioning too, wouldn't use Rodman, Howe and Baldock as examples though as all 3 arent just average players, particularly Howe and Rodman. I still cannot see Ross or Thompson being the instant hits many think they will. Willing unfortunate. He had a serious back complaint for the entire 1st season and then from memory he hurt his knee or ankle in a muddy game at the TCA and struggled to shake it off.He is seriously competitive however and his 2nd season was fitter and lighter but still had knee issues. All this proves that not having the best level of fitness to begin with is detrimental. Cleary at Hobart another, a very good player whom plays too heavy hence is inj prone. If he does a pre season at Hobart or Nth Hobart or wherever he plays and gets through it he could be a very good player, otherwise I suspect more of the same.

Anyone heard wat Aaron Hall is doing, no one at Hobart is talking so I suppose he is still there, hope so although I admit would love to see him have a crack in the big time;)

Anyone heard wat Aaron Hall is doing, no one at Hobart is talking so I suppose he is still there, hope so although I admit would love to see him have a crack in the big time

Heard today he is in Melbourne, and staying over there next year. Having a crack at VFL footy I believe.

Anyone heard wat Aaron Hall is doing, no one at Hobart is talking so I suppose he is still there, hope so although I admit would love to see him have a crack in the big time

Heard today he is in Melbourne, and staying over there next year. Having a crack at VFL footy I believe.
He was however at training last night, so I guess he is keeping his options open.

Re: Hall

Hall is going to Werribee. Confirmed.

Yes, I was having a chat to Dale last week and he mentioned that he'd be playing with Werribee, and if Collingwood were interested in picking him up after some draft camp thing he had to go to over there with them he'd be a Pie.
Either way, he wasn't going to be at Hobart in 2012, good luck to him too and I hope he grabs this opportunity and makes a real go of it! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back