Moved Thread Hodge to the Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Hodge playing on for 1 year at Brisbane taints his legacy - it enhances his legacy as a warrior and leader. Sad for Hawthorn fans - but great for Brisbane and Fagan.

If Hodge wants to do this it's his life and it helps his after playing career to transition to an assistant coach after 1 year.

He also does not hold up Hawthorn's young half backs who are a few years ahead of Brisbane in development.

This is a great move by Brisbane and Hodge.

Fagan must be a great person to work with.

This is a smart move on Brisbanes behalf with the introduction of a 'soft cap' on footy department spending. They have a young list and most likely paying less than 95% of players salary cap. Hodge obviously got the coaching/development coaching itch this year working with Burton & Hardwick who benefited greatly.

He won't play week in week out, most likely will only play home games. I can see him being a development coach rather than a head coach. Different to Sam Mitchell who has being preparing to coach for some time.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

How much will he be payed?

Because he is a delisted free agent does that mean he does not affect any comp they may get from Rockliff?

They could just offer us pick 89. Then Mitchell could mock him mercilessly after Hodge mocked Mitchell for pick 88 last year.

Stay a one club player mate. You're going to coach and be involved in the industry anyway. Why taint the legacy?

Agree completely. Just look at the respective send offs received by Hodge and Mitchell in their last games. I don't know why you wouldn't just take that fond farewell as a player and make the transition into coaching. Playing for the Lions isn't, in itself, gonna achieve much. Stay a one club player Hodgey.

Because you will end up with a Hird, Voss and (yet to be confirmed but not looking good) Nathan Buckley situation. Having a favorite son be in some form of coaching role directly after playing isn't something clubs want. They prefer them to go out and coach at another club, have that other club invest their time and money into training them up as an 'apprentice' and then after a few years they'll be back coaching at Hawthorn... when their mates have left, new players have come in, and they are a ready made coach.

Spot on.

I think it's a smart move if it's leading into him joining the coaching ranks. Eagles benefited hugely having Mitchell this year working on field with our young mids. It didn't have a negative impact on our list at all.

Here are the scenarios to help clear up any confusion:

1. If Brisbane offer a decent contract to Hodge and agree to take him as a free agent, we'll get free agency compo
2. If Brisbane offer a s**t contract but Hodge still wants to play for them, we'll get no free agency compo
3. If Rockliff leaves, and Brisbane don't want to dilute their Rockliff compo, he'll probably be traded to Brisbane for a 5th round draft pick
4. If Hodge is happy to wait until the delisted free agency window opens, and Brisbane agree to leave a list spot open for him, he can go to Brisbane for nothing.
5. Hodge can also nominate for any of the drafts (national, pre-season, rookie) and Brisbane can pick him up via a draft.

My money is on #3 because Hodge will be the type of person that just wants to get this sorted if he's decided in his mind he'll play on next year.

Whilst I'm at it because people don't ever seem to learn, every club is still eligible to trade a future 1st round draft pick, with the restrictions not coming into place until 2019.

Here are the scenarios to help clear up any confusion:

1. If Brisbane offer a decent contract to Hodge and agree to take him as a free agent, we'll get free agency compo
2. If Brisbane offer a s**t contract but Hodge still wants to play for them, we'll get no free agency compo
3. If Rockliff leaves, and Brisbane don't want to dilute their Rockliff compo, he'll probably be traded to Brisbane for a 5th round draft pick
4. If Hodge is happy to wait until the delisted free agency window opens, and Brisbane agree to leave a list spot open for him, he can go to Brisbane for nothing.
5. Hodge can also nominate for any of the drafts (national, pre-season, rookie) and Brisbane can pick him up via a draft.

My money is on #3 because Hodge will be the type of person that just wants to get this sorted if he's decided in his mind he'll play on next year.

Whilst I'm at it because people don't ever seem to learn, every club is still eligible to trade a future 1st round draft pick, with the restrictions not coming into place until 2019.

It'll be four.

Why would it be any other option?

So clearly his 'retirement' was more about Hawthorn pushing him out the door than him wanting to end it.

As for the gig...Good for Brisbane, he'd make a good playing coach, although if I was GC, I'd be making him a big offer to do the same for them (both need the culture development he'd bring more than the player).

Indeed, either club could make him a big offer to be playing coach of their 2nds...Not on the AFL list, so no salary cap/draft issues and he'd get to lead the development of the next generation.

So clearly his 'retirement' was more about Hawthorn pushing him out the door than him wanting to end it.

As for the gig...Good for Brisbane, he'd make a good playing coach, although if I was GC, I'd be making him a big offer to do the same for them (both need the culture development he'd bring more than the player).

Indeed, either club could make him a big offer to be playing coach of their 2nds...Not on the AFL list, so no salary cap/draft issues and he'd get to lead the development of the next generation.
What cr@p! If he was pushed,why would he be around at Clarko's house apologizing for doing a backflip?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be four.

Why would it be any other option?
A little thing called good will. Also players don't like uncertainty. We did the same thing with Jack Fitzpatrick, traded a pick in the 80's to Melbourne even though we could have picked him up as a DFA in the DFA period.

You can if you are an unrestricted free agent.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

So he can go where he wants, but we get compo still - which we wouldn't if he was a DFA.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

So he can go where he wants, but we get compo still - which we wouldn't if he was a DFA.
Put it this way, if we couldn't come to a trade agreement because Brisbane didn't want to hand over pick 75 or 90 or something like that, we'd delist him so he can get to Brisbane anyway.

In addition, Brisbane have the 1st pick in the pre-season draft. Plenty of ways around it. I do think a good will trade for a late pick will be the way it all gets done though.

The AFL will take into consideration that he has retired and it won't effect any compo.

He's cooked. Made some awful clangers this year, a lot when in space and on his 'trusty' left.

Champion of the game. Legend of Hawthorn. Very likely a great coach and mentor. But reckon Brisbane should just put him in as youth coach or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back